oil/coolant lights

davyw45

Reaction score
Hi all newbie here,
Just sold my vxr and should be picking up my A4 convertible tomorrow.
Its a 2003 1.8T Sport, but during test drive the oil and coolant lights came on? is this anything to be concerned about?
The dealer said he would service it and check and fix any probs. Should i keep well away or take it as there is a 6 month warranty on all parts and labour. I really like this car but dont fancy having to put hands in pockets straight away. sorry if posted in wrong section.
Cheers in advance. :sm4:

Welcome to the forum :icon_thumright:

I would be concerned yes! The 1.8T's can suffer a well known problem where the oil pick up gets clogged and that can (and will) wreck the engine. It's relatively easily sorted in advance by dropping the sump, cleaning the pick up and flushing the engine. Both issues might be relatively minor, but I would walk away unless you're 100% happy!

Have a read in the B6 section and try a post in there, although I expect this will get moved there anyway.

You mean the salesman took you out on a test drive in a car with dash warning lights on?Avoid at all costs.Theres plenty of other cars out there for sale!

no, i went out by myself and after about 1 mile the oil and collant lights came on, went back to dealer and he said no probs, its been standing for a few month...i'll get that sorted.

I look at it like this. Lets say he turns the lights off and you happily buy the car. 4 weeks out of the warranty period the lights come back on and you are faced with a massive repair bill. How bad are you going to feel knowing that you walked into it eyes open.

Take some advice dude, walk away, there are plenty more out there.