oil coming out of turbo

Sham101

Reaction score
got the car in the air today and noticed oil coming out of the turbo where the intake pipe comes into the turbo is this normal car is a s3 1999 apy with 72000 on the clock .thanks

Doubts its from the turbo... oil in that area is almost always from the cam cover gasket....

<tuffty/>

I'd just check it again then... I always use a little sealant round the half moon gasket and in the transition from the cam tensioner/front cam cap to the head... I'd check this isn't leaking... if clean then I'd clean the area with brake cleaner and see what comes back if anything...

Have you had any other work done? the only other thing that it could typically be is a leaking oil feed union on top of the turbo... beyond that it could be oil from the PCV going into the TIP (sign of worn rings) or the turbo itself but the seal normally goes the other way and leaks through the hotside

Is this all over the outside or does it appear to be coming from inside the TIP?

<tuffty/>

will spay brake cleaner over it tommorow an get a better inspection done and report back tommorow thanks..tuffty