OIL change in audi A3 2006 2.0 TDI

fesss_84

Sylar
Reaction score
I have just purchased some Castrol Edge 5W-30 , VW 507 Spec.... i checked my oil dip today and it seemed half way between full and empty, should i just pour in the new oil as required or should i drain the old stuff out of the system first????

Many Thanks

When filling up with Oil, is it wise to fill it up after it's warmed up? Does the engine need to be running?

Phew! I got the oil low indicator on my DIS earlier and had a little oil left at the back so filled her up but switched off the engine. It was hot though, quite abit of steam coming out. Was quite worried...

But I won't forget that, thanks.

You know I really should read the manual again. Just didn't think it'd tell me stuff like that ("don't re-fill engine with oil while engine is running")

your very lucky, it wasnt under pressure it could have blow out of the engine as u unscrewed the lid, and oil burns arent very pleasent infact they are very serious. always allow the engine to cool down or a while befor filling up the oil. i wuld say atleast give it around 20 - 30 mins after you stopped before you fill.

you may know this but for anyone who doesnt dont try to check your oil if you have just used the car as the oil will still be circulating around the engine. takes a couple of hours for it to return.
so the stick will show nothing!!!!!:icon_thumright:

kettle said:
you may know this but for anyone who doesnt dont try to check your oil if you have just used the car as the oil will still be circulating around the engine. takes a couple of hours for it to return.
so the stick will show nothing!!!!!:icon_thumright:

Eh?
You must have a funny car mate.
The dipstick will show nothing until a few hours after the car has stopped?
What nonsense.

I've always checked mine cold after the car has stood overnight in the garage. I think this gives a more reliable comparison from check to check.

When you check the stick just after the car stops reading the level is even more difficult as oil is dripping down from every direction and splashing the stick.

seriously try it!
if you have just used the car it will show hardly anything.
like twizzler said it is best to leave it overnight

I'm sure you might get an erroneous reading THE SECOND you switch off the engine, but to suggest the dipstick will show nothing is wrong, and to suggest you need to leave it for hours is also wrong.
If you want to be anal about it, you carry on leaving it overnight for your precious accurate reading.
But it's a bit of a laugh really, given the dipstick itself is about as accurate as a Moldovian train timetable.
There are huge tolerances 'built-in'.
It seriously won't matter if you go a wee bit off, just because you didn't have time to leave it for hours....
You'll be recommending we spirit-level the ground next, just to make sure.

ok lets be anal here

Make sure car is parked on a reasonable level surface
Run the engine for a few minutes to allow oil to circulate (If left overnight all the oil that is normally dispersed in engine will have returned to the sump) Turn off engine
Remove dipstic wipe off any oil with a rag etc
Insert dipstic into hole fully
Remove and check
If level on max mark,no action req
If on min mark top up with oil (info in handbook on quantity req between min/max mark)
Put oil in
Put oil filler cap back on
Run engine again for a few mins
Turn engine off
Recheck level again

PS I need to blow my tyres up do I need to remove old air in tyres first?:hubbahubba:

dipstic said:
PS I need to blow my tyres up do I need to remove old air in tyres first?:hubbahubba:

You could but I'd take the tyres off and wash the inside of the tyre just to make sure there is no old air in there. Better to be on the safe side.

marms said:
You could but I'd take the tyres off and wash the inside of the tyre just to make sure there is no old air in there. Better to be on the safe side.

OK will do,is there any special cleaner I need to remove the stuck on old air,guess its a trip to the main dealers then?:faint:

My oil routine goes like this.
Wait for oil warning light to come on..AGAIN.
Chuck 1 litre in.
Wait another 1500 miles for oil light to come on.....AGAIN....
It's quite easy really, I should thank Audi for giving my engine piston rings made of cheese.

bowfer said:
My oil routine goes like this.
Wait for oil warning light to come on..AGAIN.
Chuck 1 litre in.
Wait another 1500 miles for oil light to come on.....AGAIN....
It's quite easy really, I should thank Audi for giving my engine piston rings made of cheese.

My brothers 320M Sport uses more oil than my A3 !!

My point is that I am sick and tired of every other post you make seems to in some way slag off the Audi. I'm sure everyone here knows you do not like your A3 but I thought you might like to know that your impending purchase of a BMW may not quite live up to you're exceedingly high expectations.

It appears as though a great number of post you make have an undertone of being very unfriendly and indeed often hostile.

Dry your eyes man, it's a thread about oil and I mentioned mine uses a lot.
Got to laugh at your "high expectations" comment though!
Yeah, what a dreamer I am, eh?
Fancy expecting a car not to use a litre of oil every 1500 miles!
What on earth am I on?!?
LOL!

as i haven had my a3 2.0tdi long
how much oil roughly does it use? do the majority have to fill up every 1500 miles? i do motorway miles every day as well

kettle said:
as i haven had my a3 2.0tdi long
how much oil roughly does it use? do the majority have to fill up every 1500 miles? i do motorway miles every day as well

Mine currently uses approx 1/2 litre every 1500 miles.
I have notice that it uses less and less as the miles creep up.

i deffinately need to check my oil tonight then!
done a fare few thousand miles:lmfao:

i just wanted to say...i love my audi, i just dusted a 57-volvo LOL what a fool he was, humiliating himself like that , lol

o yer, i gave him about 20 - 30 metres head start loool the women in the passenger was gob smached LOOL if i wasnt driving id have taken a picture of them both as i flew by

same approach as bowfer here, i know it may be wrong and lazy but i wait for the low warning light to come on too. mine come on for the first time yesterday at 6700 miles, which i still think is quite bad, our 535d and even porsche 997 dont use oil that fast or even the c220 cdi i had previously. it will make sense for people that have a few of these engines to buy a drum of this oil lol! another thing that bowfer has pointed out about the tyre pressures, i thought there was something wrong with the car, till i checked the pressures, which had only dropped a pound!! lets just call that a responsive chassis.....much more responsive than an f3 car which doesnt even react much to 1psi pressure drop/rise. i could go on, the steerings a bit wierd when the power assistance cant keep up, and the ride is a bit bouncy, (rebound is a joke), but i still love the car, it chews up miles and with quattro its effortless when covering ground quickly. fuel consumption is getting better despite the weather getting colder.i like it.

fesss_84 said:
o yer, i gave him about 20 - 30 metres head start loool the women in the passenger was gob smached LOOL if i wasnt driving id have taken a picture of them both as i flew by

Excellent.

Little rant: Just went to 3 petrol stations (2 BP & 1 Shell) to find me some Castrol Edge 5w-30 and all they seem to have is 0w-40! Arghhhh! Damnit why don't they stock 5w-30, is it that uncommon

Shell do their own 506.01 and 507 compliant oils. I've seen them at my local station. Just use those...

Got 1litre Castro Edge from Halfords & filled it up. Got the Sonex Clear View screenwash and filled up that too.Now I don't start the car with 2 DIS alerts. Even more annoying when I had 3!!! (Diesel) lol.