1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oil catch tank???

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by Biglockie, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Biglockie

Biglockie Aye you know it makes sense

Had to fit a new water pump and DV the other day I noticed when removing the DV it was full of oil, as was the pipe between the Throttle Body and the intercooler (removed for the water pump change), on closer inspection the inlet chamber contained oil, it was suggested this was coming from the crank case breather system, has anybody else experienced this??

is anyone using a catch tank system????

cheers

Chris
  2. JayB5UK

JayB5UK Member

If it's just a bit I wouldn't worry, but if the DV was "full" then I would. Turbo's always seem to blow a bit of oil through the inlet pipes etc.
    Obviously the more worn the seals are, the more oil will be apparent.
  3. Biglockie

Not full but a fair amount in there not to worried about the turbo as there is a replacment IHI in the pipeline, but thinking of maybe droppong off the intercooler and cleaning it out gonna draw the plugs too to check them, maybe me just being paranoid, spoke to my mate he says, as you did, turbos always blow a bit through, just wonderd if it was worth fitting a catch tank???
  4. JayB5UK

JayB5UK Member

I'm not an expert on catch tanks, but I think (someone will surely correct me) they are used when you have a dry-sump set up on race cars etc.
    If you have a new turbo coming I wouldn't really worry unless it smoking a lot or misfiring, but I doubt it would get that bad.
    As my skint mate always used to say; "at least she won't seize with that extra lubrication!"
  5. Biglockie

LOL,

na the catch tank basically has an in and an out on the top of the tank to allow the breathing for the crank case but any oil pushed in drains to the bottom to prevent it entering the inlet manifold, some have a sight glass to check the level so you can work out how much oils being pushed through.

Chris
  6. 951

951 Member

Check out the lindsey racing web site ,theres some info on the catch cans on there,i have one on my porsche turbo but its only been on a few weeks so i cant comment on it yet !!!
  7. dummi

dummi smoking a6

we discussed it on rs246.com. basically we understand the oil being recycled into the inlet system has an effect similar to running lower octane so if you could plug one in between the crank case and inlet i am quite sure you would benefit...
  8. macca

macca Member

normally you vent crank case and sometimes the rocker cover off to a catch tank to as you say catch oil before entering the inlet system, the oil you have though is almost certainly from the turbo, usually during warm up they seep a little oil, well even when warm as well.

expect to see upto a table spoon if you take one of the lower inter cooler hoses off, it collects here as it is the lowest part in the charged pipe work.

as long as it is not smoking out of the exhaust i wouldn't worry too much.
  9. Biglockie

Na no smoke from the exhaust, still go the CAT on too, gonna read the section on the catch tanks, might get one not sure yet cheers for the help lads.

chris
  10. jcb

jcb Active Member

check out Bill Brockbank's 500+bhp Ibiza, has a nice catch tank from Forge plumbed in.
    poor design feeding warm oily air back into an inlet you are trying to keep as cool as possible.can't be that great for emissions either
    makes sense to fit one if you want a clean system
  11. Biglockie

I'l chech it out dude, you got a link for it??

Chris
  12. jcb

jcb Active Member

clubgti.com search under badger5 or badgerbill, should be about a month ago in the turbo section
  13. Biglockie

Cheers bud I'll check tonight when i get home

Chris