Oil Catch Can mini group buy anyone? including PCV system simplification.

Thats a good guide but im with you about not wanting to put the oil back into the sump after seeing some of the pics in this thread.

The trick i've found when emptying the can is to do it when the engine is as hot as possible. If i empty the can when the engine is cold I dont tend to get as much out as I think the oil is thicker when cold.

How did you bore out the ports Dave. Do you know if the one I linked has a baffled inside.

QUOTE]

I Just took the connectors off and drilled the ali out to 19mm just left a bit at the bottom to stop my 19mm stainless tube dropping through i can give you a couple of pieces if requierd, mine was baffled ask him....

This is a very interesting guide too:

http://www.034motorsport.com/images/Laszlo/MkIV_Catch_Can.pdf

Looks like you can get a hose that will recycly the oil back to the sump! Personally, after seeing some of the crap that comes out of the can I wouldn't want to put it back in the sump :tapedshut:

this makes more sense than the guide of the first page link is this all you need to do or do you have to remove all the pipes under the inlet manifold also?

When I get home later I'll get the pics of my bay to show how the hose from the inlet mani goes.

Basically all you need to do is block off the hole under the inlet mani. The hose that comes off the left of the mani and goes to the brake servo can be a normal length of silicone but it must include a 1 way valve somewhere in that hose otherwise you'll have no brakes.

My pics will make it all clear ;)

Ok as promised here are my pics.

Firstly here's my diagram again so you can follow it with the pics:

Untitled.png

Here's the can with it's in/out hose:

ad481529.jpg

The top hose comes down under the TIP and joins to a t-piece. This then goes up to the rocker cover and off to the 90 degree pipe on the oil filer housing. Here you can see the rocker cover route:

ce8a8f39.jpg

Here is a close up of the T-piece taken from the left side of the battery:

4f357458.jpg

You cant see the hose from the top of the can in these pics but the red line shows the hose to the rocker cover and the blue line shows the hose off to the oil filter:

4f357458-1.jpg

Here is where it joins the 90 degree bend on the oil filter housing below the inlet mani:

31b6b597.jpg

So that's the top pipe on the diagram done. The side pipe out of the can goes down and into the hockey puck which then vents into the TIP as shown here:

d489bb6a.jpg

Red line shows the hose coming from the side of the can, hockey puck is obvious, the blue line is heading to the TIP and the green line is the TIP:

d489bb6a-1.jpg

With all that done that's the hard part. The easy bit is to block off the hose on the bottom of the inlet manifold:

All I did was cut a piece of hose and jubalee clipped in a bolt like so (pic taken through the gap of the inlet mani):

2614cd5c.jpg

Last thing to do is to sort out the hose that runs off the left hand side of the inlet mani that runs to the break servo:

41568fa7.jpg

Now the silver bit in between the 2 90 degree silicone is the 1 way valve which ensures you have servo'd brakes. The hose then just runs up to the hard pipe along the firewall. Not the hose with ASH on it but the one to the right of it:

27aef301.jpg

Now obviously I bought spanking new pipes for the brake servo bit but you can just re use most of the stuff you ripped out and the 1 way valve that was already there. The original 1 way valve was a T-piece 1 way valve so you will need to block off the bottom of the T as described earlier in this thread.

I hope these pics and this explaination help you out, it's really not as daunting as it first seems.

Last edited:
will i need a TIP first or can i use the original also where did you get your tip from been looking at the forge tips recomend? had a look at some of the vw boys they have been making some of there catch cans out of coke cans and monster cans guess it to go with the rat look

also how much pipe did you need roughly 2m and is it all 19mm bore or 16mm bore

You can use the original TIP as the silicone TIPs are the same they're just made of silicone. Mine will be up for sale in the next month or 2 as I will be getting a B5 3" TIP :sign_plug: My TIP is an Autobahn TIP from eBay:

Silicone Induction Hose kit Audi TT 225 S3 1.8T B | eBay UK

I had 2m of 19mm oild grade hose and I still had a lot left spare. I also recomment buying the following:

Hose Pipe T Piece Tee 19mm 0.75 Inch Pond Fitting | eBay UK

19mm Plastic 90 Degree Elbow Hose Joiner L | eBay UK

19mm 3/4" Straight Plastic Barbed Connector Hose Joiner | eBay UK

cheers for that will get the stuff ordered probs next week just so got cash for awesome to do me cambelt next saturday.

i may go with the different option of a yellow rockstar can as every one else has genuine oil catch cans wanna be different lol will normal samco silicone hose be ok or does it have to oil grade?

Get yourself 2 90 degree joiners to make sure you can bend the hose wherever you need it. It will depend on where you mount your can though.

Oil grade hose will be better and is cheaper than silicone. It wont perish as quickly as silicone stuff.

will probs mount it next to the battery as i have a hks mushroom filter so got bags of room near the battery where did you get your oil grade hoses from? ive found some silcone samco pipe for £16 per meter

It was part of the group buy and is probably mentioned in this thread somewhere. Most auto factors should do oil grade hose.

I might end up moving my catch can once I have a B5 tip and open filter on the car.

You can use the original TIP as the silicone TIPs are the same they're just made of silicone. Mine will be up for sale in the next month or 2 as I will be getting a B5 3" TIP :sign_plug: My TIP is an Autobahn TIP from eBay:

only if it was a A3 would have had the hose off ya

I Just took the connectors off and drilled the ali out to 19mm just left a bit at the bottom to stop my 19mm stainless tube dropping through i can give you a couple of pieces if requierd, mine was baffled ask him....

Aww I see what you mean. I think il see how much I can get some 19-15mm adaptors and run a small piece of silicone between them.

Any links of the catch can you got Dave.

Silicone Induction Hose kit Audi TT 225 S3 1.8T B | eBay UK

I had 2m of 19mm oild grade hose and I still had a lot left spare. I also recomment buying the following:

Hose Pipe T Piece Tee 19mm 0.75 Inch Pond Fitting | eBay UK

19mm Plastic 90 Degree Elbow Hose Joiner L | eBay UK

19mm 3/4" Straight Plastic Barbed Connector Hose Joiner | eBay UK

Westle, did you replace your 1-way valve? I'm still running the original one with one branch tee'd off. If so where did you get it?

Ye, doesnt look to bad. If I when for the polished/chrome engine bay look this would go really well. I like the level gauge also.

The inlet ports are removable so might be able to buy 19mm ports to screw in so dont have to worry about 15-19mm adaptors.

Reactions: s3dave
all parts ordered just need to buy a can of monster or redbull and thats the can sorted cheers for the help westle

will do probs be either this or next weekend car going for cam belt on satday but have got bank holidays to do it

Ok I think i've found my answer with regards to keeping the hocky puck valve. It can go.

All I need is some measurement confirmation before I order the alloy bung. I think the hose on the TIP to bung up is 19mm but not 100% sure.

Also does anyone know if this will cause any issues with this breather system effectively being open and not venting back into the TIP.

Well I've ordered the parts as I got bored of waiting for a reply to my previous posts and I've found out most of the answers myself.

Just got to figure out where I'm going to route the oil breather. Some have done it like this but I'm not sure if the fumes will stink out the cockpit:

IMG00356-20100629-1340.jpg

Hi would be nice if we could have a (how to thread) on just the fitting with pictures on this, I would like to have a go, but get lost with all the different routes for the hosing. :)

Well I've ordered the parts as I got bored of waiting for a reply to my previous posts and I've found out most of the answers myself.

Just got to figure out where I'm going to route the oil breather. Some have done it like this but I'm not sure if the fumes will stink out the cockpit:
What were the answers to your questions dude im curious what you found out :)
IMG00356-20100629-1340.jpg
What were the answers to your questions dude im curious what you found out :)

Mate I'm not being funny but I've tried to make it as simple as possible with my basic diagram and the pics I posted up the other day. It really is quite easy once you've had a look at it all under the bonnet.

I did a bit of digging around earlier and I found out that to vent to atmosphere you can ditch the hockey puck valve and it is also 19mm. I'll be getting my parts soon so I'll put photos of that up too.

Mate I'm not being funny but I've tried to make it as simple as possible with my basic diagram and the pics I posted up the other day. It really is quite easy once you've had a look at it all under the bonnet.

I did a bit of digging around earlier and I found out that to vent to atmosphere you can ditch the hockey puck valve and it is also 19mm. I'll be getting my parts soon so I'll put photos of that up too.

Ok cool will look out for that id like to see what replaces that hokey puck thing.

What I meant by my earlier post was a Sticky, maybe with just the pictures and a small guide, to save trawling through all these pages to find the pictures to fit it all together. Just makes it easier.

Ok cool will look out for that id like to see what replaces that hokey puck thing.

What I meant by my earlier post was a Sticky, maybe with just the pictures and a small guide, to save trawling through all these pages to find the pictures to fit it all together. Just makes it easier.

Ok mate I see what you mean. I'll try and construct a new thread from all the info already in this thread and ask for it to be a sticky. Watch this space.

tried this and its ****** my car brakes are solid jumping up and down on them to try and stop any sugestions put it all back again and brakes still soild

cheers m8 just changed it round and it worked