Oil cap mayo

H5NND

Reaction score
have been checking my car since i bought it, and didnt think too much about the mayo on the underside of the oil filler cap. Typical Audi issue.

Just thought maybe the PCV ( i still need to check ), but i am getting quite a build up, i do only drive 12-14 miles per day round trip to and from work and felt this was due to the short runs and not getting totally up to temp oil wise.

I am slightly concerned tbh, anyone any experience with this.

It's a common thing with short journey's. Take it up the motorway for about 5-10 miles once a week should sort it out.

I am getting quite a bit

i have had Mayo problems for past 3 months, I have just cured it by changing all the pcv breathers/hoses/check valve ect the breather hose under the manifold had cracked and I'm guessing sucking in the cold air and moisture that I guess was causing my Mayo problem, I had a smoke test done and had no lesks but I removed every pcv hose/pipes and the metal pipe from rocker to T hose and it was severely blocked it has a horrible 90degree bend. Fresh oil again and touch wood its stayed away so far. 1.8T awt.

Last edited:
Yeah I have had similar with many many BMWs, and usually the ccv same thing, the Audi looks a piece oh **** compared to them

Lol sounds just like the M54 block, done many

are the 1.8t and 3.0 pipes the same, as mines is the 3.0.

does anyone know if the pipes are tied into the dipstick just like the BMW engines.

thanks guys, but would a clogged/knackered pvc also cause this, i have no idle issues nor any others but i was going to check the pcv also and all the hoses its a similar issue with BMWs.

I have a 3.0 and experienced the same. I renewed pcv black plastic valve at the rear of inlet manifold under plastic engine cover my breather pipe checked out ok
I would suggest taking car for long spirited drive then change the oil and filter while hot. Use good quality fully synthetic. About 6.25 litres.
I do similar short journeys and I have not had the Prob return since doing oil change etc.