1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oh so quiet....

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by Arrkon, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Arrkon

Arrkon Midlands regional Moderator

Well after a prod from foxy, heres what I've been upto with the a4 recently.

I've dynamatted the back end to help with the bass and various rattles, after finding a roll in halfords for a fiver :)

Fitted a new stereo (kenwood) to replace the alpine unit (now for sale if anyone wants it) so I can have some more musical options (USB, iPod, aux, cd) instead of just iPod and cd.

Replaced the front discs and pads, cv joints, and repaired the front bumper skirt (as it was catching on kerbs and the like).

Next job is to book in an not to see what other issues are lurking before mine expires in may. Then tackle the rear discs pads and bearings :( not looking forward to that one... Will get abs rings and bolts ordered as no doubt they'll shear off...

Pics to follow :)
  2. Sandra

Sandra MODERATOR Staff Member Moderator

Certainly sounds like you have been busy.
  3. Arrkon

Haha just a little, I'm sure it's a form of addiction, started with the intention of JUST doing the CVs lol... Now look what's happend and spend about £150 instead of £25
  4. Foxmeister

Foxmeister Fired Up!

:respekt::arco:
  5. Arrkon

ok, Bugger... no pics :banghead: damn iphone has had to be restored :sob:
  6. ScottD3

ScottD3 I want your faulty electronics

Should have gone android :ninja:

The rears are easy.
    Just make sure you got a press handy.

the caliper bolts on mine was a *****.
    I replaced 2 or so i think.
  7. spartacus 68

spartacus 68 Member

Worth opening the bleed valve when you screw the piston bore back in. Can be a hassle at the best of time. I also use a little Lockheed red grease (for hydraulic applications) under the piston dust sleeves and on the slide bolts. Double-check the handbrake cable ends... which suffer corrosion, etc. If in any doubt - then replace. Unfortunately part is £50. I also dismantled handbrake spring on caliper as it was seized, grease up, etc. I fitted Bosch pads and Zimmerman discs.
  8. jcb

jcb Active Member

i have just done my rear brakes, both CV's and both bearings.

Had to remove the calipers to get them wound in after fully removing the piston!
    in actual fact it was faster doing the second one this way that messing around with the poxy rewind tool.
    CV's were a doddle once I had pulled the shafts.

did the bearings without a press using the patented (or not) pikey press free method!
    http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a4-s4-...b-pikeys-those-without-hydraulic-presses.html