Oh no.. Drowned it...

MattUK

Reaction score
Well during the lovely weather last night.. I drove home from the restaurant.. Turned into a road only to then find a wave of water going over the bonnet.

Managed to get the car through to the other side before it cut out.. Let it dry out for a while and tried to get it going..now realise that could have been very nasty if it started up and I carried on down the road.

Got towed home ( I was warned no to try and restart it in case water was sucked through the engine) and my brother in law popped over today to have a look.

He took out the inlet pipes.. Full of leaves etc.. Washed out the small filter... The air filter was sodden.. But seemed to have soaked up the worst of it.. Nothing could be seen in the turbo.. And the injectors all are running clear.. No water just fuel when he tested each one.

Checked the oil.. Seems like some water has got in there.. As seemed quite full and watery..

So the plan is to change the oil, get new filters (oil,air,fuel) .. Is there anything else which we should be checking after such a flooding?

Its a 3.0l tdi.. So I think we got lucky as the intake pipe goes over to the back of the engine before hitting the turbo.... Also handy that the service light is on as a service is due..about the only silver lining for the evening.....

cheers

matt

Hi,

yes but if you tried to give it a little push on the accelerator it would go very juddery.. Though at the time we had the pipes off to the turbo etc... It starts first time and seems to tick over nicely.

thanks

matt

Damn unlucky & lucky, well check intake system up to manifold if I was you just to be safe, but how did water get into the oil, if it didn't touch the turbo?

Drop the oil, change everything & of course check all areas it could of got into & then decide for yourself if you want to try starting it.

Hi,

thanks.. Yeah not sure on the water in the oil.. Could be a dodgy oring etc where the oil stick is... But either way as suggested it will get changed.

all the piping is out up to the turbo.. Not that informed on the 3l tdi - so not sure where the intake manifold,swirl flaps etc comes into it...

thanks

matt

Me neither, but turbo supplies to the IC & then to intake, so I would be checking IC piping for signs of water aswell.

Thanks for that :) wish I had driven the cmax last night.. Might have got through it unscathed.,.,,

Don't even go there with cmax's lol, if its a 1.6 tdi cvt, sell it asap :)

Er no I think it's just the standard 1.6 tdci... Tbh it's not given us any real trouble in seven years.. Done 101000 in it now...

Lucky you :)

Are's hasn't yet, but they say they can anytime & its a CVT, so that's going to either be sold or gearbox serviced then sold.

Ok.. parts have been bought.. so will be "servicing" the car tomorrow. (well the brother in law will).

Fingers and toes crossed.. only had the car a month or so - so will be a bit peeved if I have totally broken it.

Oh and my cmax is manual.. hence why I guess I have not had any issues!..

Thanks

Matt

all the piping is out up to the turbo.. Not that informed on the 3l tdi - so not sure where the intake manifold,swirl flaps etc comes into it...

Link:- Charge air cooler 2,7ltr. 3,0l. Fits: 2010 Audi A6 | Jim Ellis Audi Parts

The turbo charge air output is connected to hose item 27, then charge air flow through system and intercoolers item 2 then item 1, hose (item 17) connect to throttle (items 29 & 31) which connect to top manifold (item 40) which sit on top of swirl manifolds items 46 & 47.

I would also think you'd need a lot of water for it it go through all that lot but better safe than sorry so my view would be you need to check charge air system for any water ...

Also google for SSP 350 this have great tech info for V6 3.0 TDi ...

New oil air and fuel filter... Also changed the oil.. So all new...

Runs nicely whilst idling... But a bit noisy.. Seemed to be chucking out a lot of blue smoke.. Took it slowly round the block.. Then it conked out with the battery light.. .. Blue smoke should mean its burning oil.. If anyone has any ideas :)

Nigel. It might be time for a vag cable....

Last edited:
It looks like you bent a few rods ! I would put it up for sale as spares or repair if i was you...

It seems to be fixed.. Running smooth smoke has stopped.. Neighbour had the vag cable so we plugged it in and checked for errors none came up.,and we cleared everything.. Engine light no longer showed.. Reset the service stuff as well..

took for a test drive.. And it was like the car of old.. Big test tomorrow.

Clearly it will be worth it's weight in gold... Off to put an order I think for the cable.

no idea what changed maybe one of the modules had a error registered which was causing the motor to misbehave until cleared? Or maybe there was water in the exhaust which has worked it's way out...

anyhow thanks for the help...

cheers

matt

Reactions: gupsterg
I sell the genuine vcds cables btw :)

It seems to be fixed.. Running smooth smoke has stopped.. Neighbour had the vag cable so we plugged it in and checked for errors none came up.,and we cleared everything.. Engine light no longer showed.. Reset the service stuff as well..

took for a test drive.. And it was like the car of old.. Big test tomorrow.

Clearly it will be worth it's weight in gold... Off to put an order I think for the cable.

no idea what changed maybe one of the modules had a error registered which was causing the motor to misbehave until cleared? Or maybe there was water in the exhaust which has worked it's way out...

anyhow thanks for the help...

cheers

matt

That's a result then mate. Glad it's ok

Did the commute to the station this morning... if anything it feels nippier than before.. phew - glad to be back on the road!!

Reactions: gupsterg
Sounds like you got off lucky mate! Well done, happy for you. I think you probably had water sitting at the bottom of the charge coolers which evaporated and got sucked in and through the engine over time. Surprised you didn't ruin your MAF sensor!