1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OH MY GOD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by stuart1234, Aug 13, 2013.

1. stuart1234

stuart1234 New Member

just snapped the f...n bonnet catch off does any body know how to get the bonnet up without doing any damage cheers in advance ITS A S4 B6 SALOON
  2. bez101

bez101 Yorkshire & Humber Rep. Regional Rep

PITA
    rip the grill out
    i tried for days and ended up smashing the grill out
  3. stuart1234

stuart1234 New Member

NOT GOOD THEN ???? PROPER PISSED OFF NOW !!
  4. DieselJake

DieselJake God Mode

Could drive it to a dealer... not sure wether they'd be sympathetic or charge there usual silly price for a fix though.
  5. rjm180

rjm180 Member

Think Bez is right, I had a quick search on google and going through the grill and then having to buy a new one or used on eBay may be cheaper than going to a garage or to Audi. Might be worth a phone call to them first though. Good luck.
  6. Andie0

Andie0 Member

You might be able to get a hook a pry at the clips behind grille through holes they are located at top! So as you pull try and pop the catches
  7. quattrojames

quattrojames Moderator Staff Member Moderator

The grille is the best way I think, shame you have an S4 though!
  8. cnut

cnut Member

Can you access the bonnet release cable from where the handle snapped? If you can you could use pliers to pull it open.
  9. madmike01uk

madmike01uk Member

what's actually broke? The handle inside the car? If so as said above just get some pliers on the cable and pop it open.
  10. dualmono21

dualmono21 Active Member

if you can do it any other apart from breaking the grille do so
    the grille is stupidly expensive compared to an a4 one
  11. Mike.M

Mike.M Active Member

Try removing the handle mech from inside the car first and see if it is broken that end.......if broken then find end of cable and use pliers on it..........but if not broken then the grill method.
  12. adamss24

adamss24 Well-Known Member

As above, however the bonnet cable goes trough the wing so if you remove the inner wheel arch cover you should be able to see the cable. I would however buy a new plastic handle and use that to open the bonnet, the bit at the handle end has a habit of snapping off if you use pliers ! Ask me how i know...
  13. cmdrew

cmdrew New Member

Relatively easy if long winded. The front grill will unclip - there are 4 clips IIRC on the top edge of the grill which you can get to with a flat blade inserted at the top of the grill. You can tell where they are by gently pulling the grill until it releases - BE GENTLE! Once the grill is off you can see 3 nuts holding the bonnet catch to the bonnet. Use a ratchet spanner - 2 are easy enough the third is a pain as you can only turn it a small amount at a time, turn the spanner over and turn it a little more and so on. Took me 30 minutes just to get this 1 nut off. Once off the bonnet is free and can be opened.

As before if you have snapped the handle you should still be able to pull the cable from the inside but if not try the above.