1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

offsets advice needed

Discussion in 'Handling' started by dummi, Nov 13, 2004.

1. dummi

dummi smoking a6

wondering about of a set of summer rims, lots of time to think about it, on my quattro the original wheels had offset 42, the 18 reps i have now are 30-35, don't know how that effects the car suspension etc.

mainly what about different offset of the rear to the front, would that be a no for a quattro?

thanks
  2. scoTTy

scoTTy Active Member

Some people go down the "staggered" route and will report no problems. I have however heard from Audi UK that any altering of the offset affect the points of rotation and therefore means ESP won't work exactly in the way it was designed.

Regardless of the computer side of things having your wheels sticking out more could affect the life of your bearings and puts more stress (due to leverage) on various components on your car.

Additionally you may need to adjust the suspension otherwise your tyres may wear differently. If you don't it could affect your contact patch and therefore handling.

It depends of course on how far from standard you are looking to go.

I not saying don't do it as it's your call and many do without issue. I'm just answering your question about the effects of doing it.
  3. dummi

dummi smoking a6

thanks Scotty i needed some tech advice on that, i will try not to cause myself problems