1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Off to dealers to get my steering checked.....

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by OutLore, Feb 8, 2006.

1. Amchlolor

Amchlolor Active Member

[ QUOTE ]
    mines alot worse when cold.

[/ QUOTE ]

So's mine,for sure.

Probably why they struggle to replicate it at the dealers,as it's just done a 10 mile journey by then.

I'll suggest they keep it overnight and leave it outside.
  2. cdb2

cdb2 Member

Matt - good news on the steering rack.

What was your EGR problem exactly please?

Did they fix your seat creak by lubricating it, only they did it to mine and it came back!?

How did they fix the fuel filler flap as mine has the same problem? I know on Bowfers they ordered him a whole new flap assembly that had to be painted, presumably if yours was fixed on the day they didn't do that?

Cheers matey.
  3. bacardi

bacardi Active Member

cdb - they've not done anything with the EGR valve yet, they have agreed though. Basically there is a horrible clicking noise from the passenger footwell from the air con, i've read on here somewhere that its the EGR valve?!

As for the seat, they've apparently lubricated it and its still doing it so they didnt use enough grease! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

As for the fuel flap, again they lubricated it but I guess I'll need to wait to see if it works, it only used to go a bit odd when cold or wet............

have had the dealer principle phone me though, they're sending the car to another garage in their chain, think that ma speak volumes!
  4. cdb2

cdb2 Member

Thanks Matt.

Sounds like a repeat visit for the seat for you! Mine only lasted about 6 months after being lubed - I think they said that they usually lube and if that doesn't work they can replace the seat base.

Be interested to see how your fuel flap goes - I'll know then whether your lube works or whether I'll need a replacement like Bowfer.

My aircon makes creaking noises and clicks from the dash area particularly during 1st 10 mins of starting, presumably this is normal expansion though? I assume yours is more constant\doing it all the time?

Do keeps us informed mate of how all your probs go.
  5. RobB

RobB Member

My car is in today for the creaky steering and the lumpy assistance. Just been told the rack will be replaced as this is the only option to cure the creaking, using a modified part. Should cure the lumpiness too at the same time. They were well aware of the creaking issue and it is a known problem for all those "never heard of it" dealers out there.

Should be 2 weeks to get the part so I'll keep you informed.
  6. Amchlolor

Amchlolor Active Member

Sorry if I'm being dim here,but if the consensus of opinion is that the lumpy steering is casued by the steering software/electric 'gubbins',then how is a new rack going to solve it ?
  7. bacardi

bacardi Active Member

funnily enough, the steering on mine is way less lumpy (Its only done it once since they looked at it) so I guess they changed the level of assistance using the diag port, apparently there's a scale of 1-10 and most are around 6-8?
  8. Amchlolor

Amchlolor Active Member

[ QUOTE ]
    funnily enough, the steering on mine is way less lumpy (Its only done it once since they looked at it) so I guess they changed the level of assistance using the diag port, apparently there's a scale of 1-10 and most are around 6-8?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like the sound of that.

I don't want the steering any lighter,I just want the lumpiness to go.
  9. bacardi

bacardi Active Member

thats the odd thing, its not lighter at all, guess it gives more assistance at low speed which overcomes some of the lumpiness,
  10. OutLore

OutLore VOIP Dude

[ QUOTE ]
    Sorry if I'm being dim here,but if the consensus of opinion is that the lumpy steering is casued by the steering software/electric 'gubbins',then how is a new rack going to solve it ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Its a combined unit according to my dealer.
  11. S_Line

S_Line Member

did anyone in this thread ever get their steering sorted ?
    Or has everone sold thier audis ? :lol: and given up on the audi service :(

had both rear light clusters and both side repeaters changed to day as all of them were mobile Goldfish Bowls :lol:
  12. OutLore

OutLore VOIP Dude

Wow this is a blast from the past!!!

My car went to another employee - who took it to Reading Audi and they replaced the rack (again), and it's fine now. (That was about 4/5 months ago)

I think a lot of the dealers test the steering with the front wheels off the ground. "The steering is REALLY light and easy on your car, sir. We can't fault it."
  13. tinka

tinka Guest

ive had 2 steering racks and it still does it,they have now told me its the strut top mount bearings,which are on back order,

but ive got a 320d m sport,due the end of this month so im not fussed anymore.
  14. tibbs

tibbs Member

I got a new steering rack last week, car went in once with the noise/groan at low speed and they said they greased the joints and the noise "should" be gone. Went straight back next week with the noise and got the steering rack replaced without any probs