off the road for a year ... s3

z1mma

Reaction score
Due to unforseen circumstances my baby is off road for a year.

It's gonna get parked up at a mate's backgarden.. will clean from inside an out and then ill put a cover on it.. it has a full tank and oil changed recently.. brakes need changing as they were sweekin but will leave that till next year now..

Anything else I need to worry about or take precautions against?

Thanks

z1mma

i would say leave the handbrake off to stop it seizing on
try and push the front brake pads back a bit to stop them sticking .
what about the battery ?
will you be regularly starting it to keep charge in it
or are you connecting to a battery tender / trickle charger ?
john

A year! Why don't you sell it? It will lose a fortune with the new shape coming out.

don't waste a full tank of fuel leaving it sitting for a year, as a combination of vapour leakage & condensation will turn it into a s**t mix by the time you're ready to run it again! also don't leave it sitting on the tyres or you'll get flat spots & they'll perish at the bulge point - put it on axle stands.

you got banned?

Last edited:
May not be possible, but the best thing in that situation is to get someone to take it for a spin every 3-4 weeks. Especially if you are basically just parking it up in the open. Otherwise you get rust on the discs and the car just sits there. It just needs to get a run occassionally.

Mate of mine found himself unable to drive for a year and had his Alpina professionally stored (after having driven said car down the motorway at a very naughty speed). That was about 12 years ago and it's still running. Worth considering that option.

I'd be tempted to sell it as well tbh as it'll loose 2-3k in a year and you'll have to pay the insurance to make sure it's covered if anything happened. Then in a years time you can get a newer model or even something else!
I know we all get attached to our cars but they are a depreciating asset after all!