1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OEM Xenon Headlights

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by smudge_don, Feb 21, 2009.

1. smudge_don

smudge_don Active Member

Managed to pick some mint condition ones up off ebay for cheap, is there anything i need to change to fit them to my 2004? I know the headlights are a straight swap but do i need to change any modules or anything?

Help appreciated
  2. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member

To be legal you also need auto-leveling and headlamp washers.
  3. Issac Hunt

Issac Hunt Active Member

Are they a straight swop? I always thought the connectors were different.
  4. smudge_don

smudge_don Active Member

i thought if the headlights were projector (which i assume they are) then you didnt need the washers

not sure about the auto leveling...how do you get this?
  5. smudge_don

smudge_don Active Member

looks the same to me
  6. Issac Hunt

Issac Hunt Active Member

7. Khufu

Khufu Active Member

H5djr is right, they need washers & connected to a self leveling system. Right now its just a road traffic offense but they are planning to introduce it into the MOT test too.
  8. cyanescent

cyanescent Member

but... if you get Kufatec's headlights/autolevelling kit, is it a straight swap then? Does it include the ballast? And how are the MOT guys going to know that your headlights didn't come as standard with your car given that 90% of cars out there don't have the washers?
  9. Khufu

Khufu Active Member

I dont believe it will be a straight swap, the wiring will need to be altered too with the inclusion of the new xenon headlight module & altered light switch etc.

Access to Elsawin would be handy for the wiring diagrams - you can compare the wiring & change accordingly

ALL cars fitted with xenons when built are fitted with headlight washers (they need to be by law) so if they are missing it will be instant fail.

As xenon lights auto level/calibrate when swiched on, this will be checked to see the operation functions correctly. I'd also imagine that there will be a check on the light switch to see if it has the ability to alter the hight manually thus also failing.

My understanding is if your retro fitting xenons then either do it 100% or be prepared to have to swap your old halogen lights back in for its MOT.
  10. rdfcpete

rdfcpete Member

Can you get away with putting halogen bulbs back in for the MOT, or will they not fit the Xenon casing?

I thought this would be how projector lights work, with xenon appearance and technology but standard halogen type bulbs?
  11. NHN

NHN Modmetractor

Uh no, given power supply & fitment etc, dont even try as you'll possibly cause damage.
  12. rdfcpete

rdfcpete Member

I see.

Big LOL, cause seems the only way to have Xenons is to buy a vehicle with them on, of which there's about 3 round the whole country on autotrader every week. Usually **** spec or high miles too :(

Retrofit seems a migrane and a re-mortgage of house to do it legally.

I called Auto-tec in Northampton last week to ask about retrofit of headlight washers, to which the bloke who answered didn't even know they were a legal requirement with Xenons/Bi-Xenons and didn't want to get involved. I was prepared to spend £1500 upwards too, I genuinely like them that much on my current car. I think that was point I decided to give up on this whole mission, clearly not worth investing time or money.
  13. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member

Don't know what sort of A3 you're looking for but there will soom be one for sale at Huntingdon Audi. It's a 2007 A3 Sportback 2.0TDI-170 SE and it does have OEM Xenon lights. If you do want to know any more let me know as it's my current car that I'm trading-in.
  14. NHN

NHN Modmetractor

Only way to fit is to buy on a car already, not true & tbh cars with xenons usually have good spec's, I bought my a3 with xenons & had better spec than a poxy sline, but also I upgraded my xenons from single vision xenons to bixenon adaptives, which required number of changes & wiring adaptions & additions, its not easy but who said it would be, but one things for sure, its always worth having them, 100%, wont have car without, I've had xenons on last 3 cars, just so much better than halogens & if you have £1500 upwards for them should ave knocked on my door as I would do it all for yer, no worries.
  15. edition

edition Active Member

How do you use the Kufatec site??
  16. NHN

NHN Modmetractor

Your post relevance is exactly?
  17. scottie123

scottie123 (●̮̮̃•̃) (●&#

is chicken 30 mins per lb + 20 mins?:nyah:
  18. NHN

NHN Modmetractor

Clowns are back in town
  19. 10blazin

10blazin HYPERDRIVE NEEDED

why .....

[​IMG]
  20. rdfcpete

rdfcpete Member

You're right cause tbh I shouldv'e mentioned I have a budget of around £12k, Xenon'ed models are usually the 3.2 V6's and the 170 Sport Tdi's which exceed that, both of which are excellent cars, hence the price. I'm probably looking at a 2.0Tdi Sport or a 2.0TFSi, preferably quattro models. There's some out there with sub 50k miles, just never with Xenons.

If I could throw £2k at someone and get my car back a week later with Xenons + HL washers, I'd be over the moon tbh.
    You're saying you can do the headlamps themselves for a decent price?

And I agree totally fella, got them currently on my Clio, factory fitted and they're probably the best part on the car, with it being French obviously ;) Hence why I don't want to be without them again.
  21. NHN

NHN Modmetractor

Would have to price things up, but seriously man you could find at least an a3 with headlight washers on that dont have xenons, I have seen them for sure, this would save you money on bumper, pipes, pumps, wiring etc, I'd install for you but really would be a case of price up parts & find some lights aswell, by no means if you want headlight washers & auto levelling then its not cheap but 2k is a fair amount I guess if can find lights cheap, depends on the xenon type single vision or bixenon or bixenon adaptives.
  22. rdfcpete

rdfcpete Member

Indeed, been browsing for them with washers too. Is it part of the winter pack like on the Golfs? I think if I was going to, I'd want the Bi-Xenon kit.
    I'm seriously prepared to spend that much really, but that depends on getting a pair off of ebay I suppose.
  23. edition

edition Active Member

Was that aimed at me?
  24. smudge_don

smudge_don Active Member

all fitted yesterday :) love them, just going to uprate the bulbs to a higher temp colour at some point

thanks to NHN for his phone support, even if you did laugh at me when i got wet :(
  25. NHN

NHN Modmetractor

Yeah not nastily just coudnt understand what the post was for, was it a request for help?
  26. NHN

NHN Modmetractor

lol, no worries J, still am laughing but I will take my hat of to you for your technical ingenuity for the torx headed bolts, impressive to say the least, bitch of a job I know but the end defines the means, think thats the phrase I was looking for anyway, lol
  27. 10blazin

i have xenons in my car ive got a question if someone can help ps...... nhn .. but not the xenon its self but the other light next to it there a poo colour when i have daytime running on in the day they just look naf i want some white bulbs that look a bit like the xenons so they look more modern can anyone recomend some bulbs and are they easy to fit how much are they etc.......
  28. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member

29. klauster

klauster Well-Known Member

a few on RS246 are fitting LED's, I believe its fairly easy to do :huh:
  30. 10blazin

31. 10blazin

WHATS RS26 PAL and what do the leds look like ???
    do you have a link please mate ......

32. JST_A3

JST_A3 Member

33. 10blazin

34. rdfcpete

rdfcpete Member

What about some projector headlamps that don't have the damn angel eyes or halos on?

Can only find them with the angels/halos on and they'd look ridiculous on anything other than a BMW. Is there a method to wire them in so they don't have the angel eye sidelights, but just the dipped beam projector lamps illuminated?
  35. NHN

NHN Modmetractor

For me it would be a no, but each to there own
  36. rdfcpete

rdfcpete Member

Hmmm indeed, I understand they're nowhere near the quality of genuine Audi Part Bi-Xenons, but just thinking outside the box for an alternative really.
  37. NHN

NHN Modmetractor

TBH I wouldnt consider them an alternative & given mot tests, would the sphere's cause issues then aswell, I mean they're what £200 anyway without any xenon facility, so extra money aswell, all adds up & when done would be near the xenon headlight costs, 2nd user of course.
  38. rdfcpete

rdfcpete Member

Ok, thanks for the info.

So start to finish, could be done for £2000?
    How long is the car required for, 3 days at least I'd imagine?
  39. NHN

NHN Modmetractor

depends on if we can get the headlights for good price & what type you want. also bumper etc etc.
  40. rdfcpete

rdfcpete Member

In essence; Bi-Xenons, straight forward washers and 05/06 S-Line bumper - Feasible?

Was thinking if I just purchased a Quattro TDi with Xenons, could fit the S-Line kit with bits I find on ebay/salvage/the forum once painted, obviously provided the front bumper has the gaps for HLW.

I would hope £2k would more than cover that?