1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OEM RS4/RSTT centre caps on replicas

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by ChriS3, Apr 9, 2006.

1. ChriS3

ChriS3 hud at ye bam

Do they fit?

I have replicas and OEM centre caps, they don't look like they fit, but can the be modded to suit?

Noticed this was in the FAQ's but the link ain't working anymore...
  2. Cupramax

Cupramax Uber pimp meister

Mine fitted fine but that was on an 8P with new shape RS4 reps... Centre caps off the standard S-line RS6 lookalikes.
  3. dickys3

dickys3 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

They should fit Chris. they normally do!

You will have to modify them slightly but its no hard work. You have to cut away some plastic inside the cap IIRC. 5 mins per cap effort!
  4. ChriS3

ChriS3 hud at ye bam

Cut off the offending bit of plastic and they still sit a little proud. It's better, but it's going to need some silicone sealant to keep em in place now. My fault for buying the cheapest replicas I could get on ebay.
  5. ChriS3

ChriS3 hud at ye bam

Looks like the retention clips in the OEM centre caps are about 2mm too long for the replicas wheels. With all the extra plastic removed, the caps sit out too far.

[​IMG]

Pushed in and held in place with a little sealant, they're still a bit too big, but it's getting there...

[​IMG]

As you can see by comparison, I've taken quite a lot off. The original is on the left, modded one on the right.

[​IMG]
  6. nervus

nervus Active Member

A stupid question maybe as mine are OEM wheels but have you alligned the centre cap correctly. The reps may very well be different but on the OEM's those half round indentations on the outermost circumference on the centrecap locate with a part of the wheel in the centre section.
  7. ChriS3

ChriS3 hud at ye bam

Unfortunately my replicas don't have the same bits to locate the caps. Tried all sorts before I started cutting.
  8. Garth_S3

Garth_S3 Member

I did a guide on fitting oem centre caps to reps a while back. There was quite a bit of plastic trimming required as well as citting metal rings, but mine now fit perfectly.
    They first looked just like Chris's photos.
    if anyone wants a copy of the photos I took while doing the work, pm me