1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OEM DV and N75J fitted

pure Jun 14, 2004

  1. pure

    pure Member

    340
    1
    16
    Fitted them this morning, not noticed any difference, car already had the OEM (N) DV, so replaced it anyway as I have done 16k now. Once I had replaced the parts the DV wasn't as loud as it was previously and not noticed anything different, maybe a little smoother power delivery.

    Is this normal? Only covered about 5miles since fitting though. Will take it out for a proper run when I have some time later on today.
     
  2. Add7

    Add7 Member

    310
    0
    16
    I dont think i can help, but my DV went on mine and i fitted a knew one, and it seemed like the power had gone down, but once it wore in it was fine....you could feel the turbo kick in more
     
  3. RichA3Turbo

    RichA3Turbo ...Watching you! Moderator

    5,089
    5
    38
    With the J valve, disconnect the battery and reset the ECU.. tehn go for a proper thrash... as it adapts, you will notice the car getting a little more lovely. Certainly worked on my A3!

    Rich
     
  4. Add7

    Add7 Member

    310
    0
    16
    Sorry lads what a N75J?
     
  5. RichA3Turbo

    RichA3Turbo ...Watching you! Moderator

    5,089
    5
    38
    Boost pressure regulator /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
     
  6. leespears1

    leespears1 Member

    261
    4
    16
    uprate the DV to an aftermarket one like the forge range, funnily enough, im selling two in market place.
     
  7. pure

    pure Member

    340
    1
    16
    from what ive read tho Lee, the N variant of the OEM 1 is as good as any. I'll try the battery trick Rich any particular length of time i need to do this for, also will I have to reset my remap so it is set to APR and not stock?

    cheers
     
  8. RichA3Turbo

    RichA3Turbo ...Watching you! Moderator

    5,089
    5
    38
    NOt sure about the remap... it may automatically revert back to stock, so just change it back to chipped and it will be fine.

    Rich
     
  9. Banwell

    Banwell previously LeeS3

    393
    0
    16
    Not wanting to plug a fellow lee, but I recently did a comparison of the bosch and amd dv, and had to go with the amd one... Much smoother imho.
     
  10. pure

    pure Member

    340
    1
    16
    [ QUOTE ]
    Lees3 said:
    Not wanting to plug a fellow lee, but I recently did a comparison of the bosch and amd dv, and had to go with the amd one... Much smoother imho.

    [/ QUOTE ]

    from what ive read tho, there are no performance gains to be made. So for £12.83 I'll just keep an OEM (N) for the time being /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
     
  11. Gambba

    Gambba Active Member

    1,361
    2
    36
    [ QUOTE ]
    pure said:
    from what ive read tho, there are no performance gains to be made. So for £12.83 I'll just keep an OEM (N) for the time being /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

    [/ QUOTE ]

    The Bosch 710 should be smoother than aftermarket piston DV's due to it's construction, meaning a Diaphragm will always react quicker than a piston.
     
  12. Add7

    Add7 Member

    310
    0
    16
    so do you recomend to stick with the standard rather than upgrading? as i was thinking of upgrading as one of my first mods.
     
  13. pure

    pure Member

    340
    1
    16
    Just get the latest model of the Audi Bosch DV, the part number ends with an (N).
     
  14. Gambba

    Gambba Active Member

    1,361
    2
    36
    [ QUOTE ]
    Audi A3 1.8TS said:
    so do you recomend to stick with the standard rather than upgrading? as i was thinking of upgrading as one of my first mods.

    [/ QUOTE ]

    It's a playoff between realibity, cost and performance.

    Piston DV = High intial cost, servicable in most cases, very realiable but slower than Diaphragm DV.

    Bosch diaphragm DV = Cheap, realtively unrealiable, non-servicable and has fast reaction.

    A forge fast road DV which is a diagphragm type is serviceable, but again the realiability is not there, so repair kits will be needed at some point.
     
  15. pure

    pure Member

    340
    1
    16
    Ive had 16k out of my last DV and not had any problems with it. (6k of that was chipped)
     
  16. pure

    pure Member

    340
    1
    16
    [ QUOTE ]
    RichA3Turbo said:
    With the J valve, disconnect the battery and reset the ECU.. tehn go for a proper thrash... as it adapts, you will notice the car getting a little more lovely. Certainly worked on my A3!

    Rich

    [/ QUOTE ]

    Did this Rich, still feels the same. Maybe it is because the air is extreemly hot today. Ill give it a blast on the motorway tomorrow. I'm just not getting the kick in the back at all....Do you think I am overboosting?

    Also disconnecting the Batt has lost my 1 click up/down window fuction....

    I'll get searchin the forums for that fix, lol /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
     
  17. RichA3Turbo

    RichA3Turbo ...Watching you! Moderator

    5,089
    5
    38
    [ QUOTE ]
    pure said:
    [ QUOTE ]
    RichA3Turbo said:
    With the J valve, disconnect the battery and reset the ECU.. tehn go for a proper thrash... as it adapts, you will notice the car getting a little more lovely. Certainly worked on my A3!

    Rich

    [/ QUOTE ]

    Did this Rich, still feels the same. Maybe it is because the air is extreemly hot today. Ill give it a blast on the motorway tomorrow. I'm just not getting the kick in the back at all....Do you think I am overboosting?

    Also disconnecting the Batt has lost my 1 click up/down window fuction....

    I'll get searchin the forums for that fix, lol /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

    [/ QUOTE ]

    If you going into limp(ish)mode you can feel the boost back off, come on, back off, come on .etc... If its not doing that, then its fine as long as it dont feel slower!

    For the windows, take them all the way down, then all the way up, and it will work again.

    Rich
     
  18. pure

    pure Member

    340
    1
    16
    It is weird, I can hear the DV and turbo spooling up, but I'm not getting a punch in the back.

    e.g. In 3rd, doing say 3500rpm, punch the throttle and I hear the DV and turbo going crazy. But seem to accelerate gently. Still keeps on pulling, but doesn't feel as instant. (difficult to explain)

    I'm gonig to put it down to the exceedingly hot air today and see what it is like tomorrow.

    Need to get myself VAG.COM I think and/or a boost gauge. I've done all these mods and have no real measure if they are working or not....d'oh! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
     
  19. RichA3Turbo

    RichA3Turbo ...Watching you! Moderator

    5,089
    5
    38
    /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

    Give it a go tomorrow.. If not, put the original back in.
    Also, have you got it the right way round? the J valve is a mirror image to the OE one, so the plug faces the bulkhead NOT the front of the car.

    Rich
     
  20. pure

    pure Member

    340
    1
    16
    [ QUOTE ]
    RichA3Turbo said:
    /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

    Give it a go tomorrow.. If not, put the original back in.
    Also, have you got it the right way round? the J valve is a mirror image to the OE one, so the plug faces the bulkhead NOT the front of the car.

    Rich

    [/ QUOTE ]

    Oh [censored], I think I might have gotten it the wrong way around! I put it in the way that the other 1 came out. The clip (with the electrical bit was facing the same way the other 1 was...

    I'm gonna go look now and take some pics!!!

    Back in 20mins :p
     
  21. pure

    pure Member

    340
    1
    16
    Hmmm, if I put it the other way around, the electrical cable won't reach it... :S

    Do u mean upside-down? So the hose that was origionaly comming off the bottom, should be coming off the top?

    Digicam batteries ran out, so got them on charge at the momment.
     
  22. pure

    pure Member

    340
    1
    16
    Rich, you were spot on...I'd fitted it upside down, which explains why the DV was making a wooosh noise and the severe lack of power.

    It's like it has been re-chipped again!

    I hit limp mode doing about 110 uphill, seemed to jolt for a second at about 4500rpm, but picked up after a second.

    On the whole, an excellent cheap mod /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Thx for your time.
     
  23. RichA3Turbo

    RichA3Turbo ...Watching you! Moderator

    5,089
    5
    38
    No problem! Didnt think it sounded quite right!

    Teh cable is a tight fit, but if you unclip it from its holdings, it will reach!

    Works well dont it?

    Rich
     
  24. Speedo

    Speedo Member

    96
    0
    6
    Anybody got a part number for the N75J for a 98 Audi A3 (AGU)? - Rich i think you stated it another post but i couldnt find it.
     
  25. Add7

    Add7 Member

    310
    0
    16
    ok yeah i see now...cool! il have a look at lunch! is it worth getting the J version? how much is it? as i know someone who works in audi? so i can get them at cost?
     
  26. pure

    pure Member

    340
    1
    16
    Yes it is worth getting imo. Top end on the car seems to have much more power.
     
  27. leespears1

    leespears1 Member

    261
    4
    16
    [ QUOTE ]
    Gambba said:
    [ QUOTE ]
    Audi A3 1.8TS said:
    so do you recomend to stick with the standard rather than upgrading? as i was thinking of upgrading as one of my first mods.

    [/ QUOTE ]

    It's a playoff between realibity, cost and performance.

    Piston DV = High intial cost, servicable in most cases, very realiable but slower than Diaphragm DV.

    Bosch diaphragm DV = Cheap, realtively unrealiable, non-servicable and has fast reaction.

    Why dont forge make a valve thats aftermarket with a diaghram! F8ck me tey do, and Im selling that one, now this is a fast reacting valve!!!!!

    A forge fast road DV which is a diagphragm type is serviceable, but again the realiability is not there, so repair kits will be needed at some point.

    [/ QUOTE ]
     
  28. jojo

    jojo Looking for Boost! Staff Member Moderator Team Daytona Audi S3 quattro Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group

    28,997
    3,649
    113
    Thats a happy banana /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
     
  29. RichA3Turbo

    RichA3Turbo ...Watching you! Moderator

    5,089
    5
    38
    [ QUOTE ]
    jojo said:
    Thats a happy banana /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

    [/ QUOTE ]

    /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif
     

Share This Page