Odd tyres on an S3 - problem?

jasonc

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've had my 58 plate facelift S3 Sportback (manual) for about 6 months now and covered about 6000 miles in it, all on the tyres that it was supplied with.

When I bought it I noticed that it was fitted with odd tyres on the front axle (1 Hankook and 1 Bridgestone) which I know is far from ideal but I quietly ignored this since they both had a lot of tread on them and having just paid for the car I didn't want to spend a load more cash replacing perfectly good tyres.

Yesterday I was checking the pressures and I noticed that the rear tyres (which I had previously thought were identical) have actually got different load ratings with one of them having a load rating that is lower (88) than the rating that seems to get specced for the S3 (92).

I'm not an expert on tyres (and this is my first 4WD car so any knowledge I have gathered over the years probably doesn't apply) but running a performance 4WD car which doesn't have matching tyres on either axle doesn't seem too clever to me - when I think of some of the speeds that I throw it into corners I'm starting to wonder if I'm being kept alive by the electronics!

The full spec of the tyres on the car:

Nearside Front: Hankook Ventus V12 Evo 225/40ZR18 92Y
Offside Front: Bridgestone Potenza RE050A 225/40R18 92Y

Nearside Rear: Bridgestone Potenza RE050A 225/40R18 92Y
Offside Rear: Bridgestone Potenza RE040 225/40ZR18 88Y

The rears are currently down to about 3-4mm and the fronts 5-6mm.

Any thoughts - am I being paranoid and should just wait for the tyres to reach the end of their natural life or should I just bite the bullet and order up a set of 4 brand new identical tyres?

Cheers.

Change the tyres to identical all round mate, different tyres on same axle will have an adverse effect on the handling of the car. I personally change tyres when they get to 3mm anyway as the drop off in grip after 3mm (especially in the wet is frightening). So if you need to be changing the rears anyway, go the whole hog an get the full set. Some dels out there for buying full sets.

In most conditions,it's not likely to cause problems,but it's certainly not ideal to have different tyres around the car,and the Bridgestone RE050 is not a good tyre in any case,with poor overall grip,zero progression,and poor wet performance.
The Goodyear F1 Assymetric is still a good choice,as is the Michelin PS3,but this review and others there may be useful to you.... 2012 EVO Max Performance Tyre Test | the online tyre guide

I have the bridgestones as that's what Audi had put on there brand new. they did it on my last new one too. if they do it again I'm gonna knock over tables and ruin everyone's party. the tyres are HoRsE MaNuRre. can't wait to ruin them even more to get some proper rubber!

I have the bridgestones as that's what Audi had put on there brand new. they did it on my last new one too. if they do it again I'm gonna knock over tables and ruin everyone's party. the tyres are HoRsE MaNuRre. can't wait to ruin them even more to get some proper rubber!
Totally agree....the only point in their favour (and even that's a sort of disadvantage in the end) is that they just don't wear out.
Other than that,as I said,poor overall grip,even worse in the wet,no indication of when they're going to let go,and so on.....one of the worst so-called performance tyres I've ever had.

Im making the decision to buy a new set of BBS CH's and my wheels with Continental Contact 3 tyres will be up for sale. My car 2012 S3 has done only 500 miles so if you wanna set of new style S3 wheels and almost brand new tyres then PM me.

Am I the only one who's quite happy with the RE050s?! I've had some good country blasts in minging weather so far and thought these were pretty good!

Am I the only one who's quite happy with the RE050s?! I've had some good country blasts in minging weather so far and thought these were pretty good!

My main problem with them is when it's wet. they just do not grip. understeer 99% of the time, brown trousers on corners that really aren't sharp, really unpredictable.

As for wear, I've done 7k and the fronts are 3/4 worn I'd say. load of rubbish.

Rant over!

ill be back to the PS3's asap!

Cheers for all the replies - it looks like the general consensus is that I need to get shot of these tyres sharpish (I knew asking this question on here would be expensive!).

I'm quite encouraged that most people are saying the Bridgestones are rubbish - I've been very impressed with the S3 handling on them so I'm looking forward to seeing what it can do with some "decent" rubber on!

Im making the decision to buy a new set of BBS CH's and my wheels with Continental Contact 3 tyres will be up for sale. My car 2012 S3 has done only 500 miles so if you wanna set of new style S3 wheels and almost brand new tyres then PM me.

Thanks for the offer but I actually prefer the Rotor alloys on the car at the moment to the standard S3 alloys. Now if you were selling a set of the latest Black Edition wheels then I might be tempted!

Cheers for all the replies - it looks like the general consensus is that I need to get shot of these tyres sharpish (I knew asking this question on here would be expensive!).I'm quite encouraged that most people are saying the Bridgestones are rubbish - I've been very impressed with the S3 handling on them so I'm looking forward to seeing what it can do with some "decent" rubber on!
Just wait until you get some decent tyres on it....removes a lot of the understeer,and just allows you to trust it more,especially on a wet road.

Just wait until you get some decent tyres on it....removes a lot of the understeer,and just allows you to trust it more,especially on a wet road.

4 shiny new Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymetric 2's now ordered :yum:

475 quid delivered - seemed pretty reasonable.

Just got to find somebody to fit them now!

My sis bought 4 new Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymetric 2's incl fitting for £445 about a month ago.
She says the car is so much more grippy compared to the Conti II's.

Even Audi themselves don't get it right. I paid top dollar ex their huge West London dealer and subsequently found differing front tyres. To their credit they paid for the matter to be corrected. So much for their pre-delivery check/service that must avoid any expense to themselves.

4 shiny new Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymetric 2's now ordered :yum:475 quid delivered - seemed pretty reasonable.Just got to find somebody to fit them now!
I think you'll find the difference is amazing.....I certainly did on mine.

My sis bought 4 new Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymetric 2's incl fitting for £445 about a month ago.

I have Conti SC2 on my S3 that need replacing and I was going to get the Sports Contact 5s. Where did you get the 4x F1s for £475 from? They keep coming up at £170-£225 each!

I have Conti SC2 on my S3 that need replacing and I was going to get the Sports Contact 5s. Where did you get the 4x F1s for £475 from? They keep coming up at £170-£225 each!

I am interested in this too. £445 fitted would be even better but I will settle for anything under the £125 per tyre for the F1's.

Even Audi themselves don't get it right. I paid top dollar ex their huge West London dealer and subsequently found differing front tyres. To their credit they paid for the matter to be corrected. So much for their pre-delivery check/service that must avoid any expense to themselves.
Ditto, my dealer even tried to blag there way out of it even though the manual states matching tyres all round, quick call to Audi customer care and problem sorted!

I am interested in this too. £445 fitted would be even better but I will settle for anything under the £125 per tyre for the F1's.

For the Goodyear Eagle F1's:

They are £116 each on camskill.co.uk but currently out of stock - you can still order them and they reckon you will get them in 2-3 weeks.

They are £122 each on mytyres.co.uk and I've ordered mine from there - delivery time is 1 week.

These prices are delivered (no fitting) only but my local National Tyres is going to fit mine - £38 to fit all 4 tyres.