Odd running....help!

rich-hill@hotmail.com

Reaction score
Car was running fine earlier on today. Got back in thisevening and drove down the road and started feeling lumpy under reving. Straight away i thought ooh **** coil pack has gone again, and the engine managment light started flashing as it has in the past when coil packs have gone.
I turned around and headed back home, and started to smell a herific burning smell. Now would that just be the coil pack? Or could there be an underlieing problem causing the smell?

To try and describe the smell, it smelt like an electrical/clutch burning type smell.

I checked the oil and that was low, i did top it up about 6 weeks ago, not sure if that could be anything to contribute to it?

ANy ideas?

i was thinking maybe your cat converter could be blocked

Was the oil very low when you topped it up bud, the symptoms would suggest a coilpack but your car shouldn't be burning so much oil.

When was it last serviced and what oil was used when you topped it up

I have had the coil packs replaced and the car runs well, with no burning smell.

I have noticed 3 drops of oil on the garage floor this morning. So i guess thats why my oil level has been going down. So is it a case of look under and find where the oil is coming from? Or are their 'normal' place wehre it may leak?

Good to hear you got it sorted:) The drops of oil could possibly be just a case of nipping up your sump plug, not too much though, the aluminium sumps are very soft. I'd do an oil service and get new washer and sump plug, you have a good look underneath too