1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Odd 'clicking' when steering

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Perplexer, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Perplexer

Perplexer Member

[Aug 16, 2010]
    Audi S3 8L. When manoeuvring into a parking space last week I could hear a 'click' if I gently steered left or right. I had the door open as it was a corner space so it was quite audible.

Upon testing further I can replicate the noise by turning the steering wheel from clockwise to counter clockwise and back again with not much movement of the wheel.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what this could be?

Cheers
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 24, 2014]

3. thegoal007

thegoal007 Another S3 owner....

[Aug 17, 2010]
    Any other issues when attempting the manoeuve or is purley the clicking noise ?
  4. Perplexer

Perplexer Member

[Aug 19, 2010]
    No I don't think so. Just ann odd sound from the front when steering.

The car is in tomorrow for the door sensor and the chap is going to have a look to see what he can find.
  5. Perplexer

Perplexer Member

[Aug 20, 2010]
    Bad news - it is the steering rack that needs changing. Approximately £1000. Plus there is a little play in the column.

I feel like I have been kicked in the nads.

Its about £500 for a recon rack or £700 for a new one plus a days labour. Does that sound right?
  6. nick4501

nick4501 Member

[Aug 20, 2010]
    Any progress with this? I think mine has the same problem. I was told it could be the slip ring. I rang Audi for a price check on it and they said ~£60 + vat.
  7. S18KER

S18KER New Member

[Aug 20, 2010]
    Hi Perplexer,

I think mine is on its way out too, there seems to be a lot of play from left to right, i have just spoke to GSF and they have quoted me £229.13 inc. vat, for the steering rack, with a £110.00 surcharge for the old unit.

I am thinking about doing the job myself but not too sure whats involved, need to do some research.

Gaz
  8. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Aug 20, 2010]
    what has gone on the rack as the inner and outer tie rods are available for them

Only reason to change is if it's leaking really

The job isn't too bad but the subframe needs to be dropped and you will loose the fluid thats currently in there, no special tools needed just a way of getting the car supported in a stable way.
  9. Perplexer

Perplexer Member

[Aug 20, 2010]
    Slip ring? What does that do?
  10. Perplexer

Perplexer Member

[Aug 20, 2010]
    I just picked the car up. They had a good look and did a load of testing. They said that there is no play in the rack itself, just a tiny bit in the column (can't remember what part apart from he said it was the but that sheers if you have a shocker of a front smash). They checked all the other gear attached and its all good.

His advice was to leave it and monitor it as its only a slight creaking when stationary/very slow movement. If it gets worse then bring it in. But he said it was safe to drive and not really much to bother about unless it gets worse. I can live with that.

I am interested in the costs quoted for the rack though - why such big differences to above from you Gaz? i was quoted for an S3 - is yours an S3?
  11. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid Supporter

12. S18KER

S18KER New Member

[Aug 21, 2010]
    Hi, No mine isnt an S3, its an A3 qts, in not sure if they are different.

£500.00 still sounds a bit expensive for a steering rack!

The rods? are they the bits that are sticking out of the body of the steering rackand do you need to take the rack off to do this or is it possible to do it on the car?

Do you know how you can check for wear in the rods, dont want to do the rods then find out its the full steering rack?

Gaz
  13. mattyboy199

mattyboy199 Active Member

[Aug 22, 2010]
    it wont be the slip ring thats an electrical part, if theresplay in the column its either your rack or the column itself. I would replace the rack first & see how it is then.
  14. Perplexer

Perplexer Member

[Aug 23, 2010]