ODB eleven

Woody86

Reaction score
i just ordered the odb eleven to have a play around with a few things on mine and a mates car.
Has anyone got any experience with this? Want to know if it's pretty idiot proof and does it work similar to vcds.

Cheers

I have one... bought mainly to activate the "dipping passenger mirror on reverse" on the TT, and really simple to do. I've never used VCDS so can't comment on that. You did buy the Pro version, and realise it only works with Android!?

There are a number of "apps" built-in which do certain features in a single action, rather than having to enable certain bits. Their support is brilliant also, got a couple of replies back from them shortly after emailing them.

There's no facility that I'm aware of, to take a compete backup of all settings in the car, before you start messing around tho. The "live" data bit is pretty cool too!

For the price, definitely worth the money and they are constantly improving the software.

Reactions: S3 Turbo and pburv
That's what I wanted to hear. Yeah I ordered the pro version and have a android phone. It does work on a phone doesn't it? If not I'll use my mates tablet thing. Do you know if there is a way to get the setting back to the original if something doesn't work right?

Yes, phone should be fine as it connects via Bluetooth. I ended up using an old Nexus 7 tablet I had lying around. I think the only thing to do is make a careful note of everything you change! Not looked at it recently, but certainly a month or so ago there was no way of taking a snapshot of all the cars settings in case you needed to revert to original. Don't make too many changes at once, would be my advice! :)

Reactions: S3 Turbo, pburv, Rob2k68 and 1 other person
Prob use the screen capture function of the phone or tablet if there's no change history log somewhere within the app.

Reactions: Woody86 and pburv
What plank of a developer thought that was a good name? They're eyes at the end of OBD-II, not ones!

I have one... bought mainly to activate the "dipping passenger mirror on reverse" on the TT, and really simple to do. I've never used VCDS so can't comment on that. You did buy the Pro version, and realise it only works with Android!?

There are a number of "apps" built-in which do certain features in a single action, rather than having to enable certain bits. Their support is brilliant also, got a couple of replies back from them shortly after emailing them.

There's no facility that I'm aware of, to take a compete backup of all settings in the car, before you start messing around tho. The "live" data bit is pretty cool too!

For the price, definitely worth the money and they are constantly improving the software.
If you do a full scan, then go into any module there is a history link which shows you all changes that have been done to the car.

You can also email yourself by pressing the email icon at the top of the screen when in modules.

Reactions: S3 Turbo, pburv, Gordo77 and 2 others
What plank of a developer thought that was a good name? They're eyes at the end of OBD-II, not ones!

Errrr, but the website is: http://obdeleven.com/ !!

If you do a full scan, then go into any module there is a history link which shows you all changes that have been done to the car.

You can also email yourself by pressing the email icon at the top of the screen when in modules.

That's really useful to know! I've only made a couple of changes and was always careful about what was being changed since obdeleven is pretty new I think.

Reactions: pburv, rcnacura and Rob2k68
How do you guys who have/use VCDS rate OBDeleven?
I have one or two mods I would like doing but can't justify the cost of VCDS but seeing as OBDeleven is only around 55euros is it worth it?? :friends:

Reactions: deltapapa, rcnacura and Rob2k68
How do you guys who have/use VCDS rate OBDeleven?
I have one or two mods I would like doing but can't justify the cost of VCDS but seeing as OBDeleven is only around 55euros is it worth it?? :friends:

If you already have an android device to run it on then definitely mate the app has one click changes that you pay credits for (mirror dip on reverse for example) rather than doing it the long hand way especially useful if you're not familiar with VCDS coding.

Reactions: S3 Turbo and pburv
Personally I prefer the obd11 over the vcd because I can do everything without getting out the pc and cable. They are about 95% the same but the obdeleven is just so much more convenient. The one click changes are nice too, but I use all the pro features. Things are labeled in English a little bit more in obdeleven too.

Would be nice if they let the obd dongle to be used as a normal obd bt device, then I'd just leave it in the car and use with torque or track apps.

Reactions: S3 Turbo, pburv and Rob2k68
The one click for mirror dip didn't actually work for me, when I tried it about 6 weeks ago, but they told me what to set by doing it the long way, which worked fine. I haven't really done anything else with it, I think in the same way as VCDS there's potential to really mess things up!

Reactions: pburv
If you already have an android device to run it on then definitely mate the app has one click changes that you pay credits for (mirror dip on reverse for example) rather than doing it the long hand way especially useful if you're not familiar with VCDS coding.
Yeh. I have a Sony mobile and a couple of android tablets...So you reckon it's worth the 'punt'.? I only want to do the reverse mirror dip and the oil temp in all the dis screens..I might get it in a couple of weeks....:friends:
Cheers for the reply Rob..:salute:

Reactions: Rob2k68
The one click for mirror dip didn't actually work for me, when I tried it about 6 weeks ago, but they told me what to set by doing it the long way, which worked fine. I haven't really done anything else with it, I think in the same way as VCDS there's potential to really mess things up!
Noted...lol One of my worries I really wouldn't want to screw things up...:sadlike:

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Gordo77
Yeh. I have a Sony mobile and a couple of android tablets...So you reckon it's worth the 'punt'.? I only want to do the reverse mirror dip and the oil temp in all the dis screens..I might get it in a couple of weeks....:friends:
Cheers for the reply Rob..:salute:

Yeah, I think after € to £ conversion, it worked out about £42 ? It also gives you "live" data on the car. I thought it was worth the money, compared with VCDS. :)

Reactions: Rob2k68 and pburv
Thought I would throw my 10cents in the ring on ODBeleven...

For the most part it seems to be a good tool for the price point but if you are going to use it for more advanced tweaks and changes please please do your research, as with VCDS and VCP, and "back up" if and where possible. I have been receiving a good number of requests for help following the use of ODBeleven "apps", some of which while activating one thing kills another. A couple of the datasets I have seen were so bad it looked like a bomb had gone off in every controller and randomised all the long coding.

Reactions: S3 Turbo, Schizophonic, deltapapa and 3 others
Thought I would throw my 10cents in the ring on ODBeleven...

For the most part it seems to be a good tool for the price point but if you are going to use it for more advanced tweaks and changes please please do your research, as with VCDS and VCP, and "back up" if and where possible. I have been receiving a good number of requests for help following the use of ODBeleven "apps", some of which while activating one thing kills another. A couple of the datasets I have seen were so bad it looked like a bomb had gone off in every controller and randomised all the long coding.
Glad you have seen this thread Alex...:yes:
Would you think this was worth the money for the tweaks that I want to do?
Due to the fact that there is no one near me with vcds I think it's the most cost effective way of getting it done..:shrug:
Here is a link to something I found on YouTube that explains the pro's and con's of OBD eleven vs vcds...

As always value your opinion.... Paul:hi:

Reactions: Rob2k68 and DJAlix
Glad you have seen this thread Alex...:yes:
Would you think this was worth the money for the tweaks that I want to do?
Due to the fact that there is no one near me with vcds I think it's the most cost effective way of getting it done..:shrug:
Here is a link to something I found on YouTube that explains the pro's and con's of OBD eleven vs vcds...

As always value your opinion.... Paul:hi:

:)

Just made a coffee and watched the video. Interesting for sure but I myself am not sold on it in any way. The given information is full of holes but those issues are for another time.

I guess my ultimate take on ODBeleven is that for someone who wants to activate a few things on their own or a friends cars it looks great "on paper" for the price point, assuming you have an android device... but If you don't have an existing device then I look at the costs like this:
  • £60 for the dongle
  • £100 for a decent Android device
  • £XX for credits / apps
Am not sure how much credits cost but taking the hardware costs in to account, and that you have a £22k+ car, take that £160 and find another £100 and buy VCDS :)

What I don't like is this use of what they call "apps". Aside from the fact that they have ripped this off from Vag Can Professional which uses them in a different way and for very different reasons actually, in the absence of Long Coding / a Long Coding Helper ability in ODBeleven you are kinda forced to use these "apps" for most of the things you might want to activate... and in doing so you are putting your trust in the hope that the person or the people who have written these "macro's" actually know what they are doing. Add that to the fact that you need to be "online" in order to action an app I believe, might be wrong... what happens if you loose your data connection?

The three biggest issues for me however are the following:
  1. There is zero, none, no way of taking a backup of your car for reference should anything go wrong.
  2. "App's" DO NOT register to a detailed change log.
  3. Some App's are not relevant / valid for and to the cars they are listed for.
Point 1 for me is a show stopper, our cars a complicated and highly configurable. This is just retarded, product should never have been released without a backup ability. Screen shots for coding is fine but no adaptation mapping is silly.

Point 2 I guess is kinda this way by design as if they did revel / log what an "app" did then you could record the steps and never need to buy credits for it again, or someone would post the steps online / share them and almost no one would buy credits unless they were just lazy. By not logging the steps of the app how can any issues be resolved using the tool? Might be kind of a moot point actually as it currently does not have long coding / a long coding helper, according to the chap on the video, which would be needed to resolve issues anyway lol.

Point 3 is just dangerous but is giving me a lot of work :) It would seem that the developers believe, for example, that all MQB based cars are more or less the same (which is kinda true but not) and therefore they can apply all Golf MK7 mods to A3 8V's without issue. It does not really work that way. They also have not given the related descriptions enough detail including that prerequisite hardware might be needed and people are using credits to apply apps that will never work for them and in some cases contain errors in the coding and cause issues elsewhere in the car.

I guess with enough research in to other users experiences using ODBeleven to action tried and tested apps and codings, at the price point it could be a good tool for someone wanting to switch on a few things. For anything more I would pass on it.

:)

Just made a coffee and watched the video. Interesting for sure but I myself am not sold on it in any way. The given information is full of holes but those issues are for another time.

I guess my ultimate take on ODBeleven is that for someone who wants to activate a few things on their own or a friends cars it looks great "on paper" for the price point, assuming you have an android device... but If you don't have an existing device then I look at the costs like this:
  • £60 for the dongle
  • £100 for a decent Android device
  • £XX for credits / apps
Am not sure how much credits cost but taking the hardware costs in to account, and that you have a £22k+ car, take that £160 and find another £100 and buy VCDS :)

What I don't like is this use of what they call "apps". Aside from the fact that they have ripped this off from Vag Can Professional which uses them in a different way and for very different reasons actually, in the absence of Long Coding / a Long Coding Helper ability in ODBeleven you are kinda forced to use these "apps" for most of the things you might want to activate... and in doing so you are putting your trust in the hope that the person or the people who have written these "macro's" actually know what they are doing. Add that to the fact that you need to be "online" in order to action an app I believe, might be wrong... what happens if you loose your data connection?

The three biggest issues for me however are the following:
  1. There is zero, none, no way of taking a backup of your car for reference should anything go wrong.
  2. "App's" DO NOT register to a detailed change log.
  3. Some App's are not relevant / valid for and to the cars they are listed for.
Point 1 for me is a show stopper, our cars a complicated and highly configurable. This is just retarded, product should never have been released without a backup ability. Screen shots for coding is fine but no adaptation mapping is silly.

Point 2 I guess is kinda this way by design as if they did revel / log what an "app" did then you could record the steps and never need to buy credits for it again, or someone would post the steps online / share them and almost no one would buy credits unless they were just lazy. By not logging the steps of the app how can any issues be resolved using the tool? Might be kind of a moot point actually as it currently does not have long coding / a long coding helper, according to the chap on the video, which would be needed to resolve issues anyway lol.

Point 3 is just dangerous but is giving me a lot of work :) It would seem that the developers believe, for example, that all MQB based cars are more or less the same (which is kinda true but not) and therefore they can apply all Golf MK7 mods to A3 8V's without issue. It does not really work that way. They also have not given the related descriptions enough detail including that prerequisite hardware might be needed and people are using credits to apply apps that will never work for them and in some cases contain errors in the coding and cause issues elsewhere in the car.

I guess with enough research in to other users experiences using ODBeleven to action tried and tested apps and codings, at the price point it could be a good tool for someone wanting to switch on a few things. For anything more I would pass on it.
Thanks for that input...
All this vcds obd stuff goes over my head...lol
Clearly this is something you deal with every day so I will take on board your advice and leave it to the experts....:yes:

Many thanks......Paul:footy:

Reactions: Rob2k68 and DJAlix
I have both VCDS and ODB11... Just thought I would clear a few things, you don't need to buy any additional credit, the credit are only used for the app for automated coding. If you have the Pro version, which includes long coding/adaptation capabilities, it's pretty much the same as VCDS, but with a little bit more extended translation than VCDS, which in terms make it a little simpler than VCDS for long coding and adaptation. And you have full record of what's changed and the option to email the history to yourself, and the record looks something like this, and you CAN trace back and fix anything in case something goes wrong...

---------------------------------------------------------------
17 Dash Board
Date: 2016-07-15 17:59
Mileage: 21929 km
Long coding:
Old value: 238D181A2B8000081801AA00100000
New value: 2B8D181A2B8000081801AA00100000

IMHO, it well worth the money just for the portability and ease of use. It's good not having to deal with laptop if you want to test or change something quick. But other than that, VCDS is still a more comprehensive way to code when you're not in a rush and can take your time, afterall, with ODB11, you're working with a tiny phone/tablet screen and it can be annoying sometimes.

Reactions: Rob2k68, gamegenie, S3 Turbo and 2 others
I have both VCDS and ODB11... Just thought I would clear a few things, you don't need to buy any additional credit, the credit are only used for the app for automated coding. If you have the Pro version, which includes long coding/adaptation capabilities, it's pretty much the same as VCDS, but with a little bit more extended translation than VCDS, which in terms make it a little simpler than VCDS for long coding and adaptation. And you have full record of what's changed and the option to email the history to yourself, and the record looks something like this, and you CAN trace back and fix anything in case something goes wrong...

17 Dash Board
Date: 2016-07-15 17:59
Mileage: 21929 km
Long coding:
Old value: 238D181A2B8000081801AA00100000
New value: 2B8D181A2B8000081801AA00100000

IMHO, it well worth the money just for the portability and ease of use. It's good not having to deal with laptop if you want to test or change something quick. But other than that, VCDS is still a more comprehensive way to code when you're not in a rush and can take your time, afterall, with ODB11, you're working with a tiny phone/tablet screen and it can be annoying sometimes.
Very different from my "clean up" experiences and the information I had read / been given up until reading your post, but if that is indeed your experience then it seems like it could be a good tool after all.

Reactions: pburv and Rob2k68
Here's a screen shot of the long coding, it doesn't uses Byte or Bit, it's all translated into wordings so it could be annoying or good, depends on how you look at it...

And again, for the credit thingy, I think you begin with 15 credits or something? And each automated coding use (App) is like 10 credits? And you can buy more credits, or you get a free credit everyday when you launch the ODB11. But then, if you do the Long Coding manually, it doesn't cost any credit at all and don't have to worry about credit or paying anything extra...

Screenshot 2016 07 18 22 31 11

Reactions: Fiddie, rcnacura, pburv and 1 other person
Here's a screen shot of the long coding, it doesn't uses Byte or Bit, it's all translated into wordings so it could be annoying or good, depends on how you look at it...

And again, for the credit thingy, I think you begin with 15 credits or something? And each automated coding use (App) is like 10 credits? And you can buy more credits, or you get a free credit everyday when you launch the ODB11. But then, if you do the Long Coding manually, it doesn't cost any credit at all and don't have to worry about credit or paying anything extra...

View attachment 98588
That actually makes things a bit clearer in my mind. It seems that a lot of ODBeleven users are trying to translate VCDS Bytes and Bits in to ODBeleven "speak" and sometimes failing, which is why I am seeing a lot of help messages in my inbox :)

Obvious translation example:
ODB: Lap Counter = VCDS: 17 > Byte 1 > Bit 3 (Lap Timer Active)

Not so obvious translation example:
ODB: Daytime Light (Dial) = VCDS: 17 > Byte 0 > Bit 0 (Scale illumination with terminal 15 on and terminal 58 off Active)

Edit: Just to say that I am still not sure about ODBeleven myself but then I am coming at it from a different angle than most.

Edit Edit lol: If anyone with ODBeleven is heading to Audis in the Park please find me as I would like to know more :)

Reactions: Rob2k68, Fiddie and pburv
I notice that VCDS (official) also have an App in the Google Play Store and Apple Store - VCDS-Mobile

I'm going to have a look at that and see what it has to offer. Has a anyone tried it?

Edit: It also requires a proprietary OBD-II interface, it won't work with a generic Bluetooth dongle.

Last edited:
I notice that VCDS (official) also have an App in the Google Play Store and Apple Store - VCDS-Mobile

I'm going to have a look at that and see what it has to offer. Has a anyone tried it?
http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds-mobile/index.html

Has a new licensing model. 10VIN or unlimited... looks very nice but is a bit pricy. Ross-Tech have a new cable coming soon, the HEX-V2 :)

Reactions: Rob2k68 and RAF_S7
Connected the Obd Eleven dongle and tried some mods yesterday.

First, if you are not inept with computers / mobiles, ObdEleven UI is just as easy to use as Vcds in my opinion.

As somebody else said, I really prefer mobile app and bluetooth dongle compared to dragging clumsy computer + cable in the way...

Anyway, tries three basic mods :

Exhaust flapper - worked

Visual parking - worked
(Weird thing was though that on my car it was under control module 76 and not 10 as the guides say.
Thankfully this setting was directly available on coding screen for control module, without the need of knowing bytes and bits.)

Oil temp on all screens - Didn't work
Changing the specified bit worked, but no oil temp (other than on lap timer screen)
If this is due to obd11 or my car, don't know.
Any suggestions are welcome!

View attachment 98588

To do the long coding you press the '0 1' icon in upper right corner.
After that you select byte numbers and bit numbers just like with vcds long coding ui...

Some of the parameters are also presented in a more convenient manner on the main screen for the control module as in your attached example.
I enabled visual parking display in this way.

Last edited:
Connected the Obd Eleven dongle and tried some mods yesterday.

Exhaust flapper - worked

Visual parking - worked
(Weird thing was though that on my car it was under control module 76 and not 10 as the guides say.
Thankfully this setting was directly available on coding screen for control module, without the need of knowing bytes and bits.)

Oil temp on all screens - Didn't work

Correction after testing again.
Oil temp on all screens works as well.

The naming of mod is not fully correct though. The oil temp will in fact be available on - some - screens, but not all of them.

View attachment 98588
You hit that 01 icon in the top right corner to get all the bytes and bits.

I'm struggling to get long coding to work for me for the High Beam Assist.
I keep getting this "marginal conditions" error message when I try to use the Long Coding for A5 module of my Audi A3.

• Module 09 - Adaptations - “Assistant light functions - Menuesteurung Fernlichtassistent" changed to 'PRESENT'
  • Module A5 - Long Coding, change byte 2, use drop down menu to select correct coding - "02 Light/High Beam Assist Mode 2 - High Beam Assist (FLA) / Dynamic Light Assist (DLA)"
  • Module 09 - Long coding - Byte 2, Bits 0-2 - select the correct combo of lighting (see below)
My trouble is primarily with long coding of Module A5, I was able to do the adaption and long coding for Module 9.

1. On the Long coding page I click on the 01 icon in the top right corner.

obd11error1.png

2. I change the Byte 02 value to Bit 1, click the green check mark to save and get this error.

obd11error2.png

3. I can only back out of this by undoing my change, so I do this returning to previous page and try to accomplish the long coding by simply selecting High Beam Assist for coding_Light_Assist.

obd11error3.png

4. Next click the Green arrow to save, boom same error as before, this time with a number in parenthesis. Please advise.

obd11error4.png

I thought I get lucky and could continue on past this regardless of the "marginal conditions" error at the A5 module.
I went to my MMI, into the Car Systems and to Exterior lighting, and into Automatic headlights and saw that I now had check box for Headlight Assist select.
I check that box and proceed to then push the high-beam stalk and that triggered a (A)High Beam fault error on the DIS.

I need to figure out why I can't make changes to module A5 in long coding.

You hit that 01 icon in the top right corner to get all the bytes and bits.

I'm struggling to get long coding to work for me for the High Beam Assist.
I keep getting this "marginal conditions" error message when I try to use the Long Coding for A5 module of my Audi A3.

• Module 09 - Adaptations - “Assistant light functions - Menuesteurung Fernlichtassistent" changed to 'PRESENT'
  • Module A5 - Long Coding, change byte 2, use drop down menu to select correct coding - "02 Light/High Beam Assist Mode 2 - High Beam Assist (FLA) / Dynamic Light Assist (DLA)"
  • Module 09 - Long coding - Byte 2, Bits 0-2 - select the correct combo of lighting (see below)
My trouble is primarily with long coding of Module A5, I was able to do the adaption and long coding for Module 9.

That's because there's a high beam assist control module in the rear view mirror if it's speced, you can't just activate it with coding without the sensor...

Untitled 1

Last edited:
That's because there's a high beam assist control module in the rear view mirror if it's speced, you can't just activate it with coding without the sensor...

View attachment 102889
What about the Active Lane Assist camera? Didn't you all say it was possible with that alternatively? That's what I have.

4Bne46tb

May I piggyback on the question.

Is it possible to get high beam assist, lane assist, or any other asist function for free or for very low hardware cost if already having ACC?

I think HBA and lane assist only need the camera, and not the radar which ACC needs. Does ACC come with the camera?

I believe someone on the TT forum enabled HBA with VCDS (already had the camera for lane assist).

Hope this makes sense. :)

Reactions: S3 Turbo and Rob2k68
May I piggyback on the question.

Is it possible to get high beam assist, lane assist, or any other asist function for free or for very low hardware cost if already having ACC?

I think HBA and lane assist only need the camera, and not the radar which ACC needs. Does ACC come with the camera?

I believe someone on the TT forum enabled HBA with VCDS (already had the camera for lane assist).

Hope this makes sense. :)

HBA uses the triangular lane assist camera if fitted as an option (as did my Seat Leon), if you do not have lane assist then the camera is built into the front of the interior rear view mirror as per my car (which is slightly slower to react than if it were using the lane assist camera). If you have lane assist without HBA then on many other MQB cars you can enable HBA using VCDS - I've done this personally to my mates Skoda Octavia along with traffic sign recognition. HBA is not related at all to the ACC radar. Hope this helps.

Reactions: S3 Turbo and Gordo77
Rob I figured out why I was getting that error.

I was trying to do the long coding with the car fully running. I only needed to have the ignition on and engine off, (and the Light switch set to OFF, as I normally have it to Auto).

With my car in that condition I was able to go through the steps here http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?4488-A3-8V-High-Beam-Assist-Retrofit

and it accepted every change without issue.

I start up the car, push the stalk back and I got the high beam symbol with the (A)= appear on the DIS display.

Realizing Bah Gawd I just activated High Beam Assist on my American A3. A feature Audi is trying to sell as a Prestige feature to the new facelift A3.

I'm happy. :D

Last edited:

I was trying to do the long coding with the car fully running. I only needed to have the ignition on and engine off, (and the Light switch set to OFF, as I normally have it to Auto).

With my car in that condition I was able to go through the steps here http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?4488-A3-8V-High-Beam-Assist-Retrofit

I start up the car, push the stalk back and I got the high beam symbol with the (A)= appear on the DIS display.

Realizing Bah Gawd I just activated High Beam Assist on my American A3. A feature Audi is trying to sell as a Prestige feature to the new facelift A3.

Excellent news GG well done matey !!!

As I said I've done this with a mates Skoda which uses the LA camera but was beginning to think that Audi had locked it out. Actually from my experience with my last car a Seat Leon with factory fit LA and HBA and my current car that uses a camer in the mirror, HBA is quicker to react using the LA camera so you have the best setup - for free LoL !!

Reactions: gamegenie and pburv

What do I need on my car in order to have this function? Mine does not have the front camera so I believe it won't work, mine is a a3 1.8 premium plus USA

What do I need on my car in order to have this function? Mine does not have the front camera so I believe it won't work, mine is a a3 1.8 premium plus USA
You need Active Lane Assist equipped. It was a subset option to the Divers Assistance Package for the '15 A3 model.