1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

occasional whiff of diesel

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by imported_CurryMilkShake, Nov 7, 2005.

1. imported_CurryMilkShake

imported_CurryMilkShake Guest

[Nov 7, 2005]
    As title - I am getting an occasional smell of diesel from the car while driving..

nothing obvious, and no consistency to circumstances so far.. have had it cruising on the motorway, have had it driving hard, have had it pottering, doesnt seem to last long.. but never used to do it at all.. have had it about half a dozen times over the last few weeks, so about 2000 miles.

Car is fully serviced, done nearly 40k in 17 months.. is remapped, but the remap was done ages ago, this is recent.. no obvious leaks at all.

any thoughts or do I whip it in to the stealer?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 22, 2014]

3. peteA3tdi

peteA3tdi Member

[Nov 8, 2005]
    have a look under the car on the drivers side after a run, theres a fuel cooler (just bendy pipes with a grill to draw air) running front to rear , the return pipe can split and leak a small amount of fuel
  4. ivor1

ivor1 Member

[Nov 8, 2005]
    sorry ,haven't noticed the smell of any diesel, but when 3/4 full the sound of it sloshing around in the tank in stop start driving is very irritating . Has anyone had this problem?and had a cure for it?
  5. imported_CurryMilkShake

[Nov 8, 2005]
    Thanks Pete - will check that in daylight tomorrow!!!
  6. The911SC

The911SC Active Member

[Nov 11, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]
    As title - I am getting an occasional smell of diesel from the car while driving..

[/ QUOTE ]

You should try driving behind you guys in your diesels, you get more than a whiff of that black smog!... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif
  7. technics100

technics100 Member

[Nov 11, 2005]
    No Smoke No Poke...............................
  8. imported_CurryMilkShake

[Nov 11, 2005]
    911sc, its a fair comment!

you have about 60 more HP than me, thats got to equal more fun, and no smoke.. The tradeoff is still easy for me though - I do around 30,000 every year, my employer only pays 9p per mile.. all of a sudden that oil burner seems a lot more appealling, dont it!! life is all about compromises..

if my car was a weekend fun machine, or I only did 10k, it would be a differnet story..!
  9. tboy

tboy Member

[Nov 17, 2005]
    I had this issue. Was more than a whiff. Ended up being a split fuel hose. Cost me £230 to fix :-(
  10. a4sline

a4sline Member

[Nov 19, 2005]
    Check the plasic drain plug on the bottom of the main fuel filter. Was a 6mm thread that kept snapping, now a 8mm thread and much stronger with no casualties.
    HTH