Occasional grinding when turning right..

Pegsta

Reaction score
Hi,

As the title suggests occasionally when I'm going round an island or a right hand bend (doesn't happen on a turn into a road normally - tight turn) I hear and feel a grinding which I think is from the front passenger side wheel. It tends to be worse on an island when there is more g force on the car.

The only related incident which I think may have caused this is I hit a pothole doing about 35mph a few weeks back. Nothing occured till now however.

Anyone any ideas?

BTW Car is a 1995 A4 TDi Saloon.

Cheers

Gareth

CV Joint would be my guess. I used to ahve a coupe which started doing it. After about 120K miles both wheels were doing it and I had to change both CV joints.

The EXACT same thing happened to me a few days ago in my A6 - hit a pothole, and then a day later suffered from a grinding noise when turning right.

Took it into Wimbledon Audi, and they've diagnosed a bent left track rod arm, and another part connected with the steering rack. However they couldn't get the small part on its own so they've gone and replaced the entire steering rack, bushes, the works

Luckily it's under warranty!! U'd better get it looked at chap - as Mark/excursion says, it could be the brake shield, but it could and most probably is something a little more serious.

Good luck!

Tone

Well it's booked in for Sat now. The steering itself seems exactly the same as it was before car met pothole - there's no pulling to one side or anything, there's no vibration or movement through the steering wheel to suggest perhaps a warped brake disc and it stops in a straight line if you let go of the wheel under braking. So I'd imagine/hope it's the CV joint or as suggested a bent brake disc cover.

I'll soon know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Have taken the car in.. theres nothing wrong with the suspension etc.. my Mechanic has decided it'll be one of the CV joints.

I'll be getting that fixed pretty soon. Gotta find the cash first, though he says it isn't urgent as Audi over engineer parts anyway it'll last quite a while. Besides when it gets worse he'll be able to figure out which one is knackered easier.

Cheers