1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

obd cable help

a4singh May 10, 2007

1. a4singh

a4singh Member

hi all,

i bought an obd II cable off ebay a while back, and have only tried to get it working today.... Whe i plug it in it comes up with the installation thing saying 'USB<-->Serial' then asking me to install it... i didnt get any installation files with it or anything... can anybody recommend anything to get it wokring, or even suggest a new cable that i could buy? :think:

thanks...

2. jcb

jcb Active Member VCDS Map User

what software? make sure you have the right version for your cable.
    I had the wrong version of rosstech VAGCom and it didnt work with my serial cable either

3. a4singh

a4singh Member

well to get that working, i need to install my cable first, but dont have the drivers cus where i bought it from didnt give it to me... i just realised...

wud u know of a cable on ebay that wud work correctly? i need both serial and usb.... thanks mate!

4. shineydave

shineydave Member

yup, a genuine Ross-Tech cable, any thing else just isn't worth it

5. a4singh

a4singh Member

how much wud one of those set me back?

6. shineydave

shineydave Member

check out their website, i would imagine the price is quite reasonable at the moment as the pound is so strong against the dollar

7. a4singh

a4singh Member

thanks mate!

8. jcb

jcb Active Member VCDS Map User

I bought an eBay special but you don;t get all the functionality of the VAGCOm software unless you buy their cable.
    You can have my serial cable if you want! cost me &#163;15, well worth it for the airbag reset alone!

9. a4singh

a4singh Member

jcb, will your serial cable work with vagcom 409.1? if so, how muc would you want for it posted? also, i need a usb calbe also, cus my laptop does not have a serial port! wanted the serial one for some other software i had, but the usb for vagcom!

anyway, let me know how much u want for the serial cable of urs....

10. Markey

Markey Active Member

You can get a usb to serail convertor i use them all the time for connecting cisco cables to my non serial tablet.

11. John@ECM-TECH

John@ECM-TECH Owner Site Sponsor Gold Supporter

If you d/l the drivers off this website it should work
    http://www.ftdichip.com/Documents/AppNotes.htm

After the USB-Serial part it installs a virtual com port, check device manager after this is installed and it will give you the com port number which you can configure vag-com for.

I've got mine running perfectly in Vista.

12. NineNails

NineNails Proud sponsor of the snack food industry

13. a4singh

a4singh Member

thanks guys ill take a look at this today, hopefully i get it wokring and will be able to check my car out!!! ill let you know a bit later on how it goes...

14. a4singh

a4singh Member

Jpc, thanks mate, that website worked and it installed the cable... ive set it to com port 2 becuase com 3 and 4 are taken, and vagcom seems to only have com 1 2 3 4 and usb... hope it works when i go to test it out in the car!

15. John@ECM-TECH

John@ECM-TECH Owner Site Sponsor Gold Supporter

Nae worries buddy, mine installed @ com4 and there was no need to change.

Good luck

16. a4singh

a4singh Member

thanks jpc, tested it out, it worked read codes, but stopped cus i need to login, i think i need to learn how to use the program properly, but will be good when i know!