1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

o/s front caliper seizing pls help

Discussion in 'A6/S6/Allroad forum (C5 Chassis)' started by abdul h ghafoor, Feb 18, 2012.

1. abdul h ghafoor

abdul h ghafoor Member

[Feb 18, 2012]
    My front brake caliper was seizing around a month ago. The caliper was replaced and all seemed fine. Driving today on motorway on way home and had cruise control on. Car started to . drop down the gears and realised the caliper was sticking on. Pulled over disc was glowing. If the car is left for around an hr the caliper unseizes. There is a new caliper fitted. Could this be a deteriorating flexy hose. It's doing my head in. Pls help
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 26, 2014]

3. yendall24

yendall24 Member

[Feb 18, 2012]
    hi mate you need to strip the brakes and clean the two stainless steel slider pins with some wire wool then apply a thin layer of copperslip grease to the pins i appreciate the caliper is new but if the garage neglected to clean the slider pins this could be the problem
  4. abdul h ghafoor

abdul h ghafoor Member

[Feb 18, 2012]
    The same symptoms were present with the old caliper. The new caliper was fitted and correct high temp grease applied to the pins. The caliper was greased where the pads sat. The same problem persists still. After leaving the car parked for an hr it was fine. When the problem occurs the brake pedal feels very solid
  5. yendall24

yendall24 Member

[Feb 18, 2012]
    there is one more possibilty although very rare it could be that the flexihose as deteriated inside any blockage could prevent the brake fluid returning normally it as been known
  6. abdul h ghafoor

abdul h ghafoor Member

[Feb 18, 2012]
    New pipe is around £15 from europarts. Will fit on Monday. Touch wood this cures it. Though it is an intermittent problem.
  7. abdul h ghafoor

abdul h ghafoor Member

[Feb 20, 2012]
    I have fitted the new pipe. Bleeding was a pain but used a pressure bleeder and this did
    the trick. Hopefully cured problem.