Nurburgring trip

Kevint

Reaction score
Website
www.lickmyear.org
Firstly, thanks to a mate of mine for hosting some of my pics (I took over 200 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif ) but have only posted a few here.

After a few people we know from here and other forums making trips over to the Nurburgring, Eric (fasteddie) and I decided we would go and see what all the fuss was about, we booked up for a short trip leaving early Friday and coming back late Saturday. The track was open to the public Friday evening and all of Saturday.

We booked a hotel in Bonn, equipted the car with some fresh brake pads, and made our way over to Germany.

The car we took was an Audi S3, 210BHP standard, but this one has been remapped, performance exhaust, racing clutch and now some nice new RedStuff pads. The car is now pushing out around 270BHP. Here's a pic parked next to the 'Ring.

S3%20by%20track.jpg

We arrived at the 'Ring about 4.30pm and went and bought 12 laps for E155, saving us a few euro's over buying the laps individually. We had a look around the car park at some of the metal brought along and soon met up with some English lads. I still can't get over how friendly everyone is. All the people there were enthusiasts and loved to talk about their cars and were always happy for you to get in and have a look, or take you out on track.

GT3%20RS.jpg

I was chatting ot the owner of this GT3 RS, he bought it for a bit of fun. He normally drives a Porsce Turbo, but he says the GT3 is better for the track - nice toy.

We got 3 laps in on Friday evening, it's an amazing experience. I've done track days before, but nothing like this. It's fantastic. Roll up to the barriers, insert track ticket and off you go! Closely followed by anything and everything, then it's every man for himself, if I was not so excited I'd of been scared!

Bikes.jpg

The mix of cars and bikes on the track I think is quite dangerous and some people push right to the limits of their machinery, and some unfortunately beyond.

Orange%20Porsche.jpg

This Porsche was doing well, and the driver was tallented, however the next time the car was seen it was coming back on a tow truck, on it's roof. The driver was unhurt though.

However some are not so fortunate, the track was shut for an hour on Saturday morning whilst they cleared up after a biker came off, the bike came pack on the tow truck, I took no pictures though out of respect for the rider, who unfortunately lost his life in the accident - it sent a shiver down my spine, and a sudden realisation of how dangerous this 14 mile track is.

But 60 minutes later and the track was reopened and we went for a couple of laps. I've no pictures of us on the track (as filming is not allowed) but some other brits we met up with filmed and photographed us, I hope to have the footage emailed to me soon.

We did 2 more laps then broke for lunch. We (us and some brits) took the cars into a small village and had some food, then went for a wander to get some footage of others on the track, I have posted a very small selection.

Elise%20on%20track.jpg

This bloke was a cracking laugh, he was one of a group of 4 elises, we would have got a passenger lap in with them but we ran out of time.

Here's a pic of Sabine, pilot of the ring taxi, now she can drive:

Sabine.jpg

We took a vantage point at a corner call Adenau Forst, plenty of off's here and people running out of talent. As soon as we turned up we was greeted with the ring taxi coming through the fisrt bend closely followed by a 360:

Ferrari%20chasing.jpg

The Ferrari lost it and Sabine strolled away:

Ferrari%20spun.jpg

Every time Sabine went out in the taxi, the 360 would follow, trying to chase her. It was only later we found out that the 360 driver is her husband!

Finish straight:

Finish.jpg

The next picture was a familiar sight for us, the car was averaging less than 10 MPG per lap /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif and if it wasn't fuel the car needed, it was cooling down, the brakes were often smoking by the end of a lap /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gifops:

Fuel.jpg

We made our way around a couple of points on the tracks and took a few (alot) of pics, here are a couple or 3.

Monaro.jpg

Sabine%20sideways.jpg

Scooby%20and%20viper.jpg

We were overtaken on a few occasions by these 2 nutters - they were super quick:

TT%20and%20Porsche.jpg

Just about to go home and we hook up with the driver of this Nissan 350Z who offered a passenger lap - lovely. He was talented and comes to the 'Ring every year for a week, he was fairly committed :-D

Nismo.jpg

To sum up, Eric and I never stopped smiling for the entire 2 days, the only reason I'm not smiling now is that my face muscles ache far too much.

We're hooked and are going back again later on in the year - it is fantastic - if you like driving you MUST go. I can't believe it's taken me this long to do it.

Anything this good should be illegal - do it before they close it.

Kev.

ps. sorry for the small selection of pics but I cna't host them all!

Awesome write-up dude! Great that you had a good time!

Have to feel for the family of the biker though.

I would love to go, but I reckon everyone else would get 2 laps in by the time I have hit the 3rd corner /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

A mate of mine and I are thinking about building a track car, which would definately make an appearance at the 'ring. At least, it would if we could stop arguing about what car to get!!

That pic of you re-fuelling is soooo cheesy it's not funny!

Looks Awseome Kev ! P.S that was me in the Ferrari !!

you lucky git! i would love to do that, i would rather take my mates 300+ whp rx7 round than my audi anyday. i wonder if my practice on gt4 would pay off. =) i would prob bin it on the 1st bend. =(

Excellent write up, the cars are all stunning and sounds like you had an excellent time.

Very sad about the biker, just seems quite cold that the track is opened an hour later.

And is that Eric at the pumps.

And the GT3 RS is my lotto win car with the blue decals and wheels. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Great right up!

One question - that Shell petrol station. It's not near the 'ring is it? I always fill up the same place as everyone else but if a Shell has now opened then I'll use that.

p.s. If any one wants to go, I'm going on the 10th September (retunr 13th) with a group of 9 bikers and about 10-15 other cars. You're more than welcome to tag along.

Thanks for the comments lads /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

ScoTTy, alas the Shell Garage was at a service station just outside Bonn, I just included the pic to illiustrate my 10mpg point!

Spence, You'll be fine mate, I had a passenger lap in a 130bhp Diesel Seat, the only time he struggled was up the long hill.

Snoop, your A4 has more than enough to get you in trouble around there. BHP is not everything. We saw some very high powered cars be embarrased by "basic" motors.

Tdi, thats is indeed Mr FastEddie hmself at the pumps.

Smudge, you don't fancy Sabine as well do you?

Kev.

Kev - Ill be comming this time, not going to miss it again! Just let me know of the dates a little in advance this time so I can arrange work cover.

Glad you had an ace time fellas, great photos too.

It would apear that when some one I know goes to the ring, they always have a tale of death and destruction. Sad.

Liked to have seen the RS4 going round. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yes.gif

Great report Kevin and fantastic pictures......we should bunch up and send u away more often! Are you sure your not a journalist /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

Hi, after suffering much lack of sleep I have dragged my butt to work, it is just as Kevin has said, when I get the time I will digitise the footage I have of some of the motors (including the Ferrari 360, spinning) and upload them to the web, we have some footage of a lap but as the cam wasn't mounted there is a lot of Sky, Kevins feet, glove box etc.. but we do have some of us roaring round - just wish it was the lap after the one we recorded as that was really flying. If you haven't been before you MUST go. We will be going again.

[ QUOTE ]
Are you sure your not a journalist /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll take that as a compliment then /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

The pictures are ok, but they'll be better next time, I was just getting used to a new camera and we only really took piccy's from 2 vantages points. We'll have a good explore around the circuit next time and get some cracking shots.

As for the report, there is so much I have left out, as they were only the first words which came into my head on a tired Sunday morning.

I forgot to mention Sabine in a 4 wheel drift being chased hard by another BM, Sabine had one hand on the wheel and was waving and smiling at us ans she corrected the slide and took off /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif wow.

I'll take the iPaq next time so I can start writing the report on the way back /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/book.gif

Kev.

Awesome.....Can't wait......got to go.

Good to hear from a novice who hadn't been b4 too. As that will obviously be me, when I do it. Did you take it easy, or give it everything? Did the car handle how you expected? Tell us more..... PLEASE!!!

[ QUOTE ]
Awesome.....Can't wait......got to go.

Good to hear from a novice who hadn't been b4 too. As that will obviously be me, when I do it. Did you take it easy, or give it everything? Did the car handle how you expected? Tell us more..... PLEASE!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll let Eric give you a detailed description of how the car handled, but to answer your other question...

Did we take it easy or give it everything...?

Well, I've never known Eric to take it easy, but for the first couple of laps we took every corner as fast as we could, not knowing the circuit. i.e. brake hard, find the apex, then power out, but still leaving enough safety margin in hand so that if the corner was tighter than expected or threw us a unexpected twist we would be ok.

By lap 7/8 Eric was giving it just about everything, and sometimes more than that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif There was once that I actually told him that going 120mph over a blind crest was fast enough /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Our last lap was pretty quick, we'd started to learn parts of the circuit by now, where you can keep full throttle, or where you can lift off as opposed to braking which we were doing on the early laps.

We were overtaking quite afew things and had a good level of confidence in the car and what the track was like.

One sure lesson we learn't though is that whilst the S3 brakes are good, they're not great. It's a heavy car and they need to be better to be quicker round the 'ring as they get punished.

Kev.

Kev is right The first few laps we gave the ring a lot of respect, a lot. There are so many corners some are very blind you need to go very easy (well when i say easy i dont mean a sunday drive). The track is wide and the surface is much better than a road. The car was predictable but I really dont think we tested the limits of chassis (we did test the limits of the brakes though) I was probably a bit heavey on the brakes - put it this way I had new pads that had done around 700 miles they were still red when we arrived at the ring, after one lap the were brown/black and yellow in places - oh and they were smoking - Kev tried to photo them but the smoke didn't show! The big thing is learning the track, don't over do it don't think you are invincible and if you hook up with some guys with a similar powered motor and he ends up overtaking you, don't follow. We hooked up with a couple of motors there, a Lupo GTI and an R32, the R32 was faster. Dont think the car was faster but the driver was more commited than me and I really wanted to push harder but then I remembered how much I love my car in the shape it's in! It's GREAT fun, I love it and I am sure we will be going again shortly.

Great pics and write up Guys

This is a must do for me...........a Life experience that must happen!!!!!

When did you guys leave GB and how long did it take you to drive to Bonn?

We stayed in Bonn, but that was a mistake. Now we've seen the area we'll stay in Adenau or similar next time, right next to the track.

We left Fridy morning and it took 5 hours to get to Bonn, 280 miles, maily due to the motorway traffic being heavy.

We came back Saturday night from the 'ring, over 300 miles and we did it in just under 4 hours including fuel stops (2 no.) and 1/2 hour of non motorway driving.

So Calais to 'ring, good conditions is under 4 hours.

I can't stress enough how good it was, we'll be back soon /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kev.

When you come off you really need to drive down the road and let the brakes cool. If they're that hot then you're really running the risk of disk warping as they cool.

[ QUOTE ]
When you come off you really need to drive down the road and let the brakes cool. If they're that hot then you're really running the risk of disk warping as they cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

After the very first lap we noticed them smoke, so we took a drive after every lap from then on.

Kev.

My first time there I parked up (in my TT) and about 10 minutes later someone said "you cars moving".

I learnt the lesson about how disks contract therefore release the pads when you have your handbrake on. Fortunately I had no warping but it was two lessons learnt in one go!

Some people suggested leaving the car parked in gear with the handbrake off.

I've always been under the impression however that you should leave the engine running to benefit the turbo, so going for a cooling drive is the only option.

Good tips for your first trip though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Kev.

I had that happen to me at a mates house scotty.

Mate lives out in the country and has some great roads on the way.

Left may car on his really steap drive one evening and my car rolled off it across the road and into the neighbours civic. Pushing it into the garage door!!

I thought someone had nicked my car until i saw it.

Was gutted. My car just had a scraped bumper (hardly notice it) and the civic had £400 worth of damage.

Just shows the German build quality!! Lesson now is make sure its in gear. Am paranoid about it!!

Cheers

Ouch. I always leave it in gear now and never use the handbrake after a load of spirited driving.

Kev - It takes quite a while to cool the brakes. Even a couple of miles of non-use leaves them hot. I now park in gear and then after 5-10 minutes I move the car a few inches so a different part of the disk is between the pads. It's uneven cooling that really screws the disks.

With regards cooling the turbo, a slow down is good to cool them. However on the TT and S3 (and perhaps new models) they do have a built in after run coolant pump that runs for 10 mins or so.

I always warm down a car whether turbo'ed or not.

Good to know how good it was for you and the car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif Your findings on the track and where to stay near to track. How do you find the good spots to take pic's , by the way great pic's, want to take some myself now, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif And on the brakes how do you minimise the risk of them warping. And would you need new tyres when you got back Sorry for so many Qustions but if think it' all the same post type ? sorry if not /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Good to know how good it was for you and the car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif Your findings on the track and where to stay near to track. How do you find the good spots to take pic's , by the way great pic's, want to take some myself now, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif And on the brakes how do you minimise the risk of them warping. And would you need new tyres when you got back Sorry for so many Qustions but if think it' all the same post type ? sorry if not /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok...

We only had 2 spots for on track pics, I can post directions or highlight them on a satelite pic, your choice. We were told about the places by an English biker, the track is so long and goes through so many places, you really have to know where you're going. Next time we go I'm going to spend a day just going round the circuit taking pics, finding new vantage spots. Thanks for the comment about the pics btw.

To stop the brakes warping have a good drive after your lap to let them cool down, come out of the circuit and spend 5-10 mins just gentely driving the local roads and looking at all the lovely machinery around you.

The tyres were still in good nick after 9 laps, and they did squeal alot.

Kev.

Unkle,

There are so many people there who are willing to take you as a passenger, and even if your car is slow, it can still be very enjoyable /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kev.

[ QUOTE ]

Kev - It takes quite a while to cool the brakes. Even a couple of miles of non-use leaves them hot. I now park in gear and then after 5-10 minutes I move the car a few inches so a different part of the disk is between the pads. It's uneven cooling that really screws the disks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the drive round is needed not for the brakes but for the engine, otherwise you have to stand the car and to do that in the car park you need the hand brake on cos most of th ecar park is on a slope. So we would run th ecar round then park it in gear, hope this helps somebody

[ QUOTE ]
So so cool but my cars so so slow....

[/ QUOTE ]
We have footage of us catching a Lupo GTI, and it was moving! Also we passed a Polo 1.4L or something very plain so just get on it whatever you have it will be the most fun you can have in your car with your clothes on!

Good to meet you guys out there.. unfortunately I was in my old 16v Cordoba (the red one behind the bikes in the pics above) dropped a valve on my Ibiza when I was out there a couple of weeks ago. Power's not everything.. I had the Cordy lapping quicker than the 350z you mention above, but then I've done 100 odd laps. Ibiza will do low 8mins (when it runs) and the Cordy was just in the 8.40s.
Got to recommend it to everyone, I've been on 5 trips there in the last 4 years.. it's like a drug and each time you go you can experiment with new lines! I'm no where near 'knowing' the track yet.
Hope to see afew of you there next time, might even get out on one of the Sept trips!

Your right. Last year was a nightmare. We came onto the final straight and found that half way up it was a queue of traffic to get off. I saw a couple of cars boil over as you go from flat out to crawling.

I'm blaming Clarkson who was there in his Jag that weekend!!!

[ QUOTE ]
Good to meet you guys out there.. unfortunately I was in my old 16v Cordoba (the red one behind the bikes in the pics above) dropped a valve on my Ibiza when I was out there a couple of weeks ago. Power's not everything.. I had the Cordy lapping quicker than the 350z you mention above, but then I've done 100 odd laps. Ibiza will do low 8mins (when it runs) and the Cordy was just in the 8.40s.
Got to recommend it to everyone, I've been on 5 trips there in the last 4 years.. it's like a drug and each time you go you can experiment with new lines! I'm no where near 'knowing' the track yet.
Hope to see afew of you there next time, might even get out on one of the Sept trips!

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw your motor many times, but never came over to say hello, sorry!

Met some good lads there though over the 2 days, were you with the Seat meet?

Kev.

In saying that, think I did meet you, just not have a chat.

There was a moment when the 350Z was inflating his tyres (also called Kev) and you came over?

Too many Kev's at once!

Kev.

Yeah, I kind of started the SEAT trip out there a few years ago.. after being over myself figured the others needed to experience it as well!

Kev (350Z) was in a Leon R last year, Nick (Black Leon R) should have been in his TVR this year but didn't make it, Rob (German plated Cavelier) had a couple of problems in his 230bhp 16v Ibiza on the way over so got a hire car. I should have been in my 20vt Ibiza.. built it for the Ring but alas it didn't last the first trip of the year.

Not sure what I'll be in next time.. we'll see!