Nurburgring Trip - any help and advice?

dan-quattro

Reaction score
Hi all,

At my fathers request and much to the delight of myself, he has asked if I fancy a trip to the Ring with him for his birthday in August, taking his A4 for the very first time.

We're both well up for it and will be heading over via the Tunnel and making a 5 day trip of it.

I'm sure some have been before from here, so I'm after a bit of advice really on what to look out for, hints and tips for the trip, and maybe a decent route to take getting there so as the trip turns out good and we avoid any cockups really :)

I've advised my Dad that his insurers ought to know about the trip and that the Ring would probably be classed as track event, is this correct?

I'm also under the impression you don't HAVE to have helmets, but obviously it's safer if you do? (we will be taking helmets if we can find some to borrow)

We will be B&B'ing it so if anyone has any places they have been before that are worth stayin at that would be fantastic to know.

I don't wish to appear lazy and not researching myself, but knowing folk have been before and sampled the experience, I'm sure it would be more beneficial to us to go with the knowledge that we aren't totally blind and have some food for thought with regards to places to stop at and see so as to make the trip more worthwhile and enjoyable.

If anybody can offer and advice and tips, they would be greatley appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

:blackrs4::salute:

I've advised my Dad that his insurers ought to know about the trip and that the Ring would probably be classed as track event, is this correct?

I'll bet they tell you that you won't be insured on the track - unless you have pre-arranged track day cover...most cover is void on the 'ring.

You can take out proper trackday cover for the days you are therte...or do without, as most people do.

I'm also under the impression you don't HAVE to have helmets, but obviously it's safer if you do? (we will be taking helmets if we can find some to borrow)

You don't.
And I'd suggest you don't bother.

Wearing a helmet makes you less aware of what's all around you - and you'll not be breaking any records, so will be getting passed - and they can make you feel invincible...so you push harder.

I'd suggest you drive it like a back road...you'll stay undamaged longer that way.

I've never felt the need for a helmet at the 'ring.

Go careful with insurance. If you're not covered then trackday insurnace won't really help unless it's specific to the 'ring. What I mean is most trackday insurance covers you car. The 'ring is a public road and hence you need for 3rd party cover which ost trackday insurance doesn't give. If you think that you'll just take a chance and ensure you don't crash then that won't help you if the Police do a random stop on you. You'll get heavily done as you would here.

I normally stay here : http://hotelrieder-en.basiccms.de/index.html

It's exceptionally clean and the food and beers good. The only down side is that it's out of town....but closer to the 'ring that the hotels in Adenau. Depends what you're after I guess.

With regards driving...... spend 50% of the time looking in your mirrors and remember that you need to keep to the right to allow faster people through. Indicating to let them know is appreciated.

Go steady as it lures you in. I bet on your first lap you'll intend to take it easy and because of the big open stretches you'll exceed 60-80mph. It won't seem fast but when you suddenly find you can only see the next 25 feet of track in front of you and you don't know where it goes then suddenly it seems really fast!!

You won't really learn it until you're done many many laps so just enjoy it and keep safe.

Make sure you're well fuelled before you go there.

There is a new card scheme where you have to pre-pay up front, so may be worth going to the 'Ring' website before you go.

If you do push the car a bit, remember to leave the handbrake off after the lap to give your brake discs a chance to cool off. If you don't you could boil your brake fluid.

Although console games are a great way of memorising the left & rights of the track, be aware it is very undulating / hilly. Play it safe first time round as it is better to pay for 2 laps and give a little more on the 2nd lap knowing what the score is than gunning it from lap one and sticking it in a barrier. Remember you are liable for any damage you cause to the track (above and beyond your own repairs)

Thanks guys, much appreciated with the info so far, will have to do some digging around and talk to my Dad so as he's in the picture with regards to the insureance, as it's his car we will be taking.

Scotty, thanks for the hotel link, will look at that and make a booking as it's always nice to stay somewhere that people can recommend ;)

Anymore info that people feel they would like to share would be brilliant, thanks very much :)

I added the link to the actual site too which has almost all the info u need.

hi there as said take it easy and you should be fine

websites to look at try www.northloop.co.uk
http://bridgetogantry.com/

some members will offer you a pax lap as they feel it will help keep the place safer
ive stayed at
http://www.blaueecke.de/start/ wich is in the centre of adenau (ask to speak to michaela)

http://www.hotel-an-der-nordschleife.de/ this is situated on the outskirts of adenau but you can see the track from your room

ive never used a helmet but always have a passenger on mirror duty to help with the faster cars coming

1. Don't crash!!
2. Ease yourself into the laps.
3. Got a PS3 or Xbox? - do a few "practice laps" on that.
4. Sort your insurance.
5. Enjoy it!!!!

Oh and get AA 5 star cover or the equivalent.

When I errrrm "failed to complete" a lap, it was a life saver as I got a loan car to get me home, costs covered etc. My car was also then shipped back for repair. For the small premium, it was well worth it.

Ive never been but would love to go one day. I think a helmet will just anoy you.....Best to get get some sort of insureance as any crash big or small will be expensive.
Enjoy...The autobanns also :)

You only need a helmet if you have a roll cage...

p.s center parcs is where I stay. Cant beat it.

Sorry I've not replied sooner, wasn't at home for the rest of the weekend and had work today :)

Thanks for all the replies, me and my Dad are going to have an evening sitting down going through everything and the links provided, and fingers crossed we get sorted and can look forward to our exciting trip!

Once again thanks for all the replies, very much appreciated indeed ;)

I would like to highly recommend http://www.hotel-an-der-nordschleife.de/

Like boxer1973 said you can see the track from the balcony and you have a viewing spot just accross the road plus you are in Adenau town near lots of bars and restaurants. Eddy the owner is a great chap and will help you out with anything you need even if its parts for your car, should you need them.

Dont bother even trying to use an xbox or PS to memorise the track because its 14 miles long and there are far to many bends to remember without a lot of practice. Plus you'll find that the games are nothing like the realy thing.

Just go at your own pace and enjoy it. Its worth reading as much as you can from Ben Lovejoy's site as it has everything you need. Make sure you read up all the info on accident procedures just incase!

OH yeah, dont bottle the Karussel, get in it!

Cheers Westle, much appreciated!

Been on Ben Lovejoy's site a fair bit,v ery usefull indeed, got the gps map preloaded from the one supplied too, very helpfull and usefull indeed that is!

We are booked on the Eurotunnel next saturday, can't wait now lol :D

You will love it. Dissapointed Im not going this year.