Number Plate Spacing

Its all to do with ANPR systems. If the ANPR cannot read it then you will get stopped. If your car looks like a banger or chav chariot and you have an incorrect plate you will get stopped also.
I am a saddo for watching all those cop programs and they are more likely to be looking at older cars or chav cars than any 'normal' car maybe?!?!?!?! Who knows, LOL.

I swear I heard recently that the spacing of lettering on plates had somewhat been relaxed?

There's a correct way and an incorrect way to display the lettering on a number plate, if its incorrect, you risk being pulled over, its THAT simple

if you want flashy number plates, have a completely legal set for road use and go all out for off-road use, german plates are all the rage but when someone has English plates with german font, to me its half-a-job, I have standard plates for road and a set of german plates with all the stuff on them that wouldn't be allowed on the UK ones, for show use, its my own UK reg but it has the hyphon in between, then the city badge below it and the tax badge above it, they're metal pressed german font and they're both white

As has previously been mentioned anpr which is all over the country can be used to track your car if it is lifted as is often the case on here. If you are bothered about having a remote chance of getting your pride and joy back you won't be ***** for a bit of spacing. Anpr cannot read dodgy plates automatically, as has been said only an operator can or speed cameras that take snapshots.
Cheers

i know this post old, but just for the record woudl it be too risky to have a plate like this...

AN06 BOS to look like this AN0 6 BOS or AN0 6BOS?

i know this post old, but just for the record woudl it be too risky to have a plate like this...

AN06 BOS to look like this AN0 6 BOS or AN0 6BOS?
Yes, legally, you can't mess with spacing between letter/number groups in any way.