1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Number Plate LED Lights - Problems!

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by MattyW19, Sep 1, 2011.

1. MattyW19

MattyW19 Member

Today which arrived in the post were 2 LED bulbs (3 LEDS on each bulb). The ones which came with the car were a yellowish shade, so I thought i'd attempt the BMW look!

Anyways.. I came to fit them and the screw was a real pain to get out - Ended up rounding the screw (Just enough to tighten) when installing the LED's.

I purchased the bulbs as they were meant to be error free (Canbus I think it's called). Anyways, after fitting them and working I started up the car and I get an error message about my number plate lights being out! So, I ring the seller up and he informed me that from 2009 onwards Audi have created a pulse voltage through the electronics of the car and the canbus can't tell the car or something that a bulbs there?

Has anyone else experienced this? Would this affect my Audi Warrenty? Love the look of it, as it makes the car look so much better in the dark - But the error icon is very annoying!
  2. paddy

paddy Audi=No fault code, no idea

If he sold them as "error free" then they are plainly not. Its not going to effect your warranty unless you make a claim related to the LEDs
  3. t8ups

t8ups Well-Known Member

even error free bulbs on the 2009+ will not work with LED's, i have tried with resisters and differnat types of bulbs trying to get the voltage correct but no luck yet,

after the edition show i will be working out a way trying to get the voltage figures and then i will get the factory to make them up to that voltage.
  4. slade777

slade777 Member

Unfortunately there haven't been any LEDs that work for 2009 cars onwards. A guy "T8ups" on here who does interior LEDs is looking to try make some so fingers crossed!!!!
  5. Rhymesaka

Rhymesaka Member

I bought these:

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

And wrapped 2x 220Ω around the pins on each numberplate bulb holders, no soldering involved... had them in for around 4 months now and no problems.....

Easy enough if you crave this mod.....
  6. MattyW19

MattyW19 Member

Thanks for the replies - Much appreciated!

Rhymesaka - In relation to the 220's, do you think this would solve the problem?

Ah that's very interesting to hear! The gentlemen on the phone said apparently it's a pulse voltage or something, and correct me if im wrong, but the voltage is always different? Therefore the Canbus was the problem?
  7. finbo81

finbo81 New Member

I'm using these on my 57 plate S3. Had them in about a month and so far no problems.

Ebay item number - 270621196727
  8. t8ups

t8ups Well-Known Member

its the newer cars that are having the problems with the error. you car will be fine with just them bulbs as its 57reg
  9. Rhymesaka

Rhymesaka Member

Sorry only just seen this, well my car is a 2010 and it works fine on mine?

I wouldn't want to sign my life on it but I am quite confident... :lmfao:

Plus the LED's I bought were roughly £12 and the resistors cost a couple of ££££ so it's definitely worth the try.....

:)

Paul
  10. MattyW19

MattyW19 Member

Finbo81 - Thanks for posting the number up, but there very similar to what I have, although mine has 3 LED's? From what the man said, yours wont have this problem?

Rhymesaka - Thanks for the reply, it's ok i've just checked myself haha :) Oh ok, sounds like it's worth a try considering yours is a 10 plate, only problem is the screws are fairly rounded!!

If no luck, I might as well start hoping t8ups can come up with something! :)
  11. Josh84

Josh84 Member

Hi all, just wondering if anyone knows which fuse is for the number plate lights on a 2004 A3? think ive blown mine but cant find anything in the hand book.
    Thanks