1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

number plate fixings

ROB A3 Quattro Mar 17, 2014

1. ROB A3 Quattro

ROB A3 Quattro no smoke without poke

Hi guys just ordered one off the rs3 grilles in the grp buy instead off drilling and fixing plates
    what size pads is everyone sticking them on with the 6mm heavy duty or 1mm

2. S3J

S3J Member

I've actually ordered new plates for mine because I dont want the holes showing and will be sticking them on, in the meantime i've put the front on with ~4mm thick glazing stuff for windows... 3x 1xcm wide strips along the length of the plate holders, seems fine.

I'd probably say go with 6mm or find some thinner stuff but not 1mm as there is a fair amount of bend radius over the whole plate, I don't think 1mm would be sufficient.

3. ROB A3 Quattro

ROB A3 Quattro no smoke without poke

4. S3J

S3J Member

They will definitely work fine its just how much the numberplate will stand off the holder, might look fine, might look a bit crappy you'll have to see...

5. Jonse

Jonse Active Member

Im doing magnetic strips and valero strips so i can remove the plate for shows :)

6. Jameze

Jameze James

I recently got some 5mm glazing tape that someone recommended on here. It's certainly strong stuff but 5mm is far too thick! The plate sticks out so much you can see right behind it - I wish I had bought some thinner stuff but oh well, I don't think I'll get them off now without ruining the plates (metal ones so they'll bend!).

FYI this is the stuff I was recommended...

5mm Double Sided Glazing Security Foam Tape - 12mtr | eBay

Very strong stuff.

I have no idea what the stuff was that was on my original plates but that was INCREDIBLY strong stuff too. I felt like I was going to lift my car off the ground when I was pulling on the rear plate to get it off - it was about 20mm wide and probably 1-2mm thick white foam. I still haven't got all the old stuff off, I had to spend absolutely ages scraping it with a credit card to remove just enough for the rest of it to be hidden by the new plates.

If anyone knows what it might have been I'd certainly be interested in knowing for next time!