Number plate blanking

ScottD3

I want your faulty electronics
Supporter
Reaction score
Website
wheelsnwires.blogspot.com
After car events people blank out number plates on their photos and if they don't people can get funny about their number plate being on display.

I can't work out why people can get so funny about their number plate being on display.
I use to do it cause it appeared to be the norm but I've not stopped now as I can't work out a reason why you would need to blank it.

Does anyone know why?

What's the difference between a forum member taking pics of your car, posting it online without blanking the plate out and several thousand people looking at your plate in a car park or on the road?

Isn't it for fraud purposes like cloning etc....? Sure someone will know for certain on here....

I think its just personal preference really - I blank mine out but whats stopping a crook walking past your house and noting the plate down?

Yeah cloning. If you have the same colour car and make you can use a different number plate, and get away with speeding through cameras and stealing petrol from forecourts amongst other things

I was driving up the M5 couple of months ago and B5 Avant, same colour as mine drove past.
I could have cloned his car.

I wouldn't cause we had the same cars and as he overtook we smiled, nodded and carried on with our journey.

I agree that it could be used for cloning, it saves the trouble of coming across the details you want on the road, where the info you want is concentrated on car specific sites such as this one.I think the more important issue is the using of the same user name.By googling it, youd be amazed at what info can be got.Try it yourself.Scary.

i want to clone an rs3....so i hit google

this one will do,
audi-rs3-sportback-15-08-11.jpg

i get the data needed

MakeAUDI
Model-SeriesA5
ModelA3 RS3 QUATTRO
Year11-05-2011
Chassis No.WUAZZZ8P7C1900110
Engine No.CEP004691
Fuel TypePETROL
Engine Capacity2480
Power (KW)250
Power (BHP)340
TransmissionAUTOMATIC
No. of Gears7
Body Style5 DOOR HATCHBACK
Cylinders5
Valves4
FWD/RWD/4WDALL - PERMANENT
TECDOC-Type-No.

i check it's insured
YES OY11HVE IS showing as insured on the Motor Insurance Database today.

now all i need to do is print a vin to go in the window, get some plates made and get a fake/stolen/faded tax disk and i'm away

i want to clone an rs3....so i hit google

this one will do,
audi-rs3-sportback-15-08-11.jpg

i get the data needed

MakeAUDI
Model-SeriesA5
ModelA3 RS3 QUATTRO
Year11-05-2011
Chassis No.WUAZZZ8P7C1900110
Engine No.CEP004691
Fuel TypePETROL
Engine Capacity2480
Power (KW)250
Power (BHP)340
TransmissionAUTOMATIC
No. of Gears7
Body Style5 DOOR HATCHBACK
Cylinders5
Valves4
FWD/RWD/4WDALL - PERMANENT
TECDOC-Type-No.

i check it's insured
YES OY11HVE IS showing as insured on the Motor Insurance Database today.

now all i need to do is print a vin to go in the window, get some plates made and get a fake/stolen/faded tax disk and i'm away

Yes so for all budding Fraudsters who were unsure about how to get free petrol, above is how you do it.....:eyebrows:

Black 8P TDI in the car park.
Taxed and insured.

I'm off to talk to a friend about some plates. :)

I don't own a black 8P but if I did..........Ash, want some free fuel? :)