1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Number plate allen key rounded off?!?

munchkincoupe Jan 29, 2012

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. munchkincoupe

munchkincoupe Member

I bought some of these from ebay to replace the rounded off Audi screws eBay - The UK's Online Marketplacegone to replace a bulb today and one of the bolt heads has rounded off :keule:

How do I get a rounded allen key bolt out please????

Thanks

2. Sheikh

Sheikh Member

I got it out by, grabbing the head with some pliers (the ones that lock in place) and then just twisting them out! Was a total pain though, good luck!

3. Brett Butler

Brett Butler Member

Well I would not use the one you bought either, I would acquire stainless steel ones.

I would try WD 40 to loosen the bolt, and try again.
    It is quite hard to remove a bold with a rounded head, especially if you cannot get grips onto the head. I would drill it out with a small drill being careful to make sure it is in the centre and not to drill into the hole thread. By rights you need a screw extractor that is like a tap with a reverse thread on it that tightens into the old bolt and winds it out.

I must stress it is quite a skilled job with small bolts.

Good luck with it

4. mjr901

mjr901 Guest Gold Supporter Audi S3

try a torx head that's slightly to big and a hammer then untighten. tends to work when I balls screw heads up

5. paul 6969

paul 6969 New Member

hi did you get the bolt out with the locking plies if yes fine,if no try grinding a slot in the head of the screw with a bradall (very small grinder )this will let you use a screw driver,

6. xanderxxx

xanderxxx Active Member

Try a small anti-clockwise drill bit (stud removal kit type) into the head generally this will bring it out if not, then, the hole you made (small) put a stud extractor in out itll come. not sure where you are but if near Brizzol i have the kit to do it with if you can't get it out :)

7. munchkincoupe

munchkincoupe Member

8. rosco11

rosco11 Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.