Not to sure about this???

I dont know if this is a stupid question but this fit my 1996 a3 1.8 turbo (150bhp)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/K-N-APOLLO-CI...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item45df4e179f
I know its a later model and its the 225bhp but arent they the same engine?

It would fit, but the routing is a bit different.

You'd be foolish to spend that much money on one of those though, these are perfectly good enough - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Cold-Air-...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item518ebdaf4f

I would not risk that cheap one, its mounted low down where it may encounter more debris and moisture, i also bet the fitration level isnt up to much on that cheap one either.

The K&N unit will have a much better level of filtration for sure.

Just get some ducting in there for a couple of quid and save your monies :)

it wont fit anyway as ure turbo intake is 2.5 inch where as the 225 bhp is 3 inch so you would need a custom tip and a bigger maf sensor

Dont bother, stock airbox is FINE on our cars mate.

I would not risk that cheap one, its mounted low down where it may encounter more debris and moisture, i also bet the fitration level isnt up to much on that cheap one either.

The K&N unit will have a much better level of filtration for sure.

The K&N one is mounted in the same place, and there is a plastic guard around and under it to protect it from water and debris.

My girlfriends been running hers for a while, and Prawns been running one of those for years with no problems.

The K&N one is mounted in the same place, and there is a plastic guard around and under it to protect it from water and debris.

My girlfriends been running hers for a while, and Prawns been running one of those for years with no problems.
The K&N filter unit is mounted higher up, the el cheapo on is mounted on the end of the pipe.

Stay stock its good for over 350BHP of flow,causes no restriction on my car on it's hybrid

The K&N filter unit is mounted higher up, the el cheapo on is mounted on the end of the pipe.

Stay stock its good for over 350BHP of flow,causes no restriction on my car on it's hybrid

Surely that makes no difference if there is a cold air feed going down to where the "el cheapo" ones mount anyway? You can quite clearly see the cold air feed in that photo...By using words like "risk" and "el cheapo" you make them seem ****, when they quite simply aren't.

From my experience with those I'd spend the saved £100 on an F007P instead of an air filter which you don't really need anyway! Because as you say a standard setup if fine for the power anyway, the only reason to fit a filter to an A3 is for the sound!

Last edited: