NOT STARTING ON THE BUTTON AND BRAKE JUDDER

fraz

Reaction score
Hi All,

very occasionally I notice my 2.8Q doesn't start 'on the button' it fires up and then just dies, if i start without feeding in the throttle. What could be causing this? It's just had a major service and nothing untoward was found (although I forgot to mention this problem as it's very occasional)

Also I'm getting alot of brake judder, although the garage checked discs and pads and nothing is worng wih them apparently. I thought brake judder might be caused by warped discs but obviously not.

Last but not least, i have been infromed that the rear diff is leaking 'slightly' my cars done 85k and is a 98 model. Is this anything to worry about ie shoudl i fork out and get it fixed?

cheers Fraz

I to have brake judder when slowing from speeds in excess of 60mph in my '98 A4 1.8t with about 95000 miles. It's been doing it for a long time, and when it started my dad took it in to get looked at. The Audi dealership said there was nothing wrong with the brakes, and that the judder was normal. Doesn't make you feel all that safe though... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

i agree...it doesn't inspire confidence!!!

mine is most apparant from high speed to, with a certain amount of brake fade also.

[ QUOTE ]
fraz said:
Also I'm getting alot of brake judder, although the garage checked discs and pads and nothing is worng wih them apparently. I thought brake judder might be caused by warped discs but obviously not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't beleive them. Unless they specifically dial the discs then they cannot say. I reported brake judder on my S4 which was subsequently traced to a warped hub and 2 warped discs, all of which were reported as normal by audi on 2 occasions.

The best solution to brake judder (provided the discs/ pads are not on their last legs) is to get the discs machined on the car. This cost me £80 for both front discs, has cured all the judder and reduced the liklihood of further warpage on my latest set of discs.

David R is right.

If the Audi techs didn't say you need new disks which they are known to be overly keen on. Then it's reasonable to take David's advice.

I've warped many discs in my time on mainly Fords. I just kept replacing them. The new ones would last at worst 6 months.

If they are not worn you really should get them dialed and if need be machined.

Yeah, wifey reported excessive squeaky brakes on 3 occasions to Southampton Audi, and they said she just wasn't braking hard enough. Her A3 1.8T sounded like a London Taxi when braking lightly in traffic. I took the car to Portsmouth Audi for its final service under warranty, and they identified 2 warped front discs, and one rear caliper was seized on! They did £800 of work on the brakes under warranty, which only had one month to run. So if it had gone back to my local dealer again, we would have picked up the bill, as the warranty would have run out. How can you miss a seized caliper? It's wierd cause you would expect Audi to replace everything as a matter of course, whether under warranty or not, they still get paid for it. It seems to be a lottery whether you get a good technician or not. I think you should be able to book the tech that works on your car and once you've found a good one, you can stick with him (her). I'd suggest taking the car to a different dealer. There is a big rivalry between Southampton & Portsmouth, so maybe they wanted to show up their neighours, which they did. Never used Southampton Audi again. I also think they react to the customer. If you turn up in jeans & teeshirt you get less service than if you turn up in a suit. If you are a silly girl, they just don't listen at all.