Not starting/cutting out

mikey85

Reaction score
hi can anyone help? I have an 2001 audi a3 1.8 sport, it recently has developed a problem. I drove a short distance from my work place to the local tesco, the car started fine at work and drove fine on the way, i was about 10mins in tesco came back to the car and it would start it was turning over just not starting, i called the RAC out and they said a faulty coil pack was probably causing the issue any after about 30 mins of the rac chap poking and proding the engine the car started no issues. iv had the coil pack replaced and also a leak in the sump repaired and a new oil pressure switch put in, and given it an oil and filter change. It then happened again on the same trip from work to tesco got back in the car to return to work and wouldnt start. Through frustration i left the car in the carpark and walked back to work, came back to the car a few hours later and it started straight away and drove fine! Then last night whilst doing about 30mph it just cut out no warning the engine just died, again trying to start back up but not quite getting there. Called the RAC again and he said that the coil pack was working but not firing off at the right time, also the RED oil warning light has come on (the dripping oil can) my mechanic who did all the work on it says its not going to be anything to do with that the oil and pressure are fine and that its just gonna be an annoyance more than anything. The RAC chap said if the sensor is faulty then as a safety pre-caution the ECU will cut the engine out. Anyway the RAC towed me home left and about an hour later the car started just fine! Has this happened to anyone else it is really frustrating me now as its been on diagnostic machines which hasnt picked anything up. If anyone can shed a bit more light on this would be really helpful.

Scan for faults mate. If it is a sensor then vcds will tell you which one, that's what i would if got the RAC guy to do! Check your coilpack looms too, Might be worse for wear.