1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not much meat left

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by JohnboyC, Apr 7, 2008.

1. JohnboyC

JohnboyC Member

Oh yeah...the audi dealer also mentioned that all 4 of my tyres only have 3 millimetres tread depth left....looks like witha Quattro you get very even tyre wear on all 4 corners.....

I have only done 14K miles on the 225 40 ZR18 Uniroyals....which is quite disappointing...or is this normal tyre wear for the 2.5 TDi Q Sport Avant....
    I had the Uniroyals fitted when I had my RS6 Reps fitted....so, now looking for some new tyres - so need some recommendations from you guys that will not break the bank and will do at least 20K miles.....
    Also, should I stay at 225 or should go for 235 which was what was originally fitted to my car (those 4 nearly new Pierellis are still up in my garage roof on the original (awful) cross bolted spoked alloys...)

I do a mix of driving - motorways and A roads....

Need advice from you B6 A4 Quattro owners out there !

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. JamesS4cab

JamesS4cab Well-Known Member

Hmmm- what awful Pirelli's are those? I am just about to shell out for 4 P Zero's which I have heard are the nuts!!

4. arthurfuxake

arthurfuxake Controversial & Contradictive

I'm also keeping a beady eye on mine. I put a set of pzero's onto mine about 10k ago, and they look like they are just over halfway worn, at a guess I think they will last 17-19k. I don't know how long the previous set lasted coz they were already on the car when I bought it.

It's a delicate balance between longevity and grip/safety. I'm happy sacrificing lifespan for better grip and decreased breaking distances in all weather conditions.

5. arthurfuxake

I think he's refering to the alloys as being awfull, rather than the tyres.

I'm happy with my pzero's, and I spent a fair few hours researching tyres before I bought them.

6. andyccr

andyccr 2003 1.8T Sport Ebony Black A4 Cabriolet

i think 14k on a set of 'sport' and 'performance' based tyres is more than acceptable. There is a fair bit of torque generated from that 2.5TDi lump !

7. JamesS4cab

Where did you get them and if you dont mind me asking, how much? :unsure:(what size are yours....)

8. JohnboyC

JohnboyC Member

Evening folks......yes, I was referring to the Cross spoke bolted alloys which are more often seen on Audi TT's.
    They are actually in mint condition and I will soon be selling them.....reckon I will get the Pirellis swapped over to my RS6 reps....save myself £400

9. arthurfuxake

I managed to beat quick-fit mobile down to match the cheapest online price I could find, it was about £380 all in for 4 off 235/45/17's

10. Slinger

Slinger Member

What do they look like John, any pics? I might be interested.

p.s. I've not forgotten about the disk, been mega busy this last few weeks and not managed to get a working copy done yet.

11. JamesS4cab

Hmmm - I have been quoted £565 for 235/40/18's and that was from Kwik Fit. I thought that was pretty dear to be honest!

What online resources does anyone else use??
    :wacko:

12. arthurfuxake

Blackcircles.com and mytyres.co.uk. But, you're looking at £140 a corner at least for those 18", compared to £90 a corner for 17", exact same tyre, so that kwik-fit price isn't far off the mark. I'm sure you could haggle them down a few more quid, but it's not a bad price for that size tyre to be honest.

that's why 've stuck with the standard 17" alloys, an extra £200 a year starts to hurt the pocket when Alistair Darling is already creaming me on the road tax and fuel duty.

13. jr

jr New Member

I swapped my P-zeros for Continental sport contact2 235/40 ZR18 and 15,000 miles on they still have 2-3k left in them cost a bit more at around £145 per corner but are an excellent tyre and thats on an S4 driven mainly on rural and fast A roads

14. arthurfuxake

I've heard that the conti's are at least as good as the pzero's, I'm planning on trying them when my pzero's need replacing.

15. 46TheDoctor

46TheDoctor Valentino Rossi A.K.A The Doctor

Try these muthas, will cost you £30 odd for fitting at your local tyre house.
    These are **** hot.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Kumho-235-40-...ZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem

Goodyear Excellence?
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4x-Goodyear-E...oryZ9891QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Avon ZZ3, i had these and there a good allrounder wear rate/noise/comfort & wet grip.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/pair-of-brand...oryZ9891QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Outstanding value, same as above just a deal on 4.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4x-Avon-ZZ3-2...oryZ9891QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Hope this helps:thumbsup: