Not inmpressed with 3.0 V6 5-speed gearbox after test drive?

AudiSport

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy an Audi A4 convertible and I went to test drive a 2003 3.0L V6 model this weekend which left me a little cold.. it has covered 53k miles with full Audi history however the 5-speed manual gearbox felt very sloppy, not at a tight like the 6-speed manual I have been used to in the 04 plate s-line saloon I have just sold. Is this due to the older style gearbox, or is something worn?

Also the roof was not lifting properly. It would come part of the way up the stop just as the rear compartment (what would be the parcel self) was half raised. With a little help it then continued opening and it was fine. Naturally I walked away - however what would have caused this problem? It was almost as if the hydraulics were not strong enough to raise the roof through the first section - or maybe it was catching on something..

Thank you for any info.. Really disappointed at the sluggish ride of the car..

Last edited:
i have a tdi sport 52 plate with a 5 speed box on a 139k and still feels very tight so id think it may need looking at
could be some thing silly but then it could be on its way out. not 100% on the roof but it may well be the hidrolicfluid low i had this on
an golf

sounds like a poor car you test drove. why not get a cab with a multitronic gearbox? the gear change is silky smooth!! though there are alot of horror stories, mines great!!

My 52 plate 2.5tdi Quattro Sport 6 speed on 77k feels tight and precise. If the gearchange feels sloppy at 53k, it's either had a hard time, or it's on the way out (IMHO).

I would have walked away as well.

who knows? could have been anyware, had some abuse or been replaced? only the previous owner will know. Sounds like walking away was a good thing

it may not have done 52k mate iv seen loads about how they get clocked and a few years back i had one from a garge that had 64k on it but had done more
like 130k plus