1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not doing many miles. Should I wait till it says to service?

Discussion in 'General Technical / How To' started by imported_Macduff, Jan 4, 2006.

1. imported_Macduff

imported_Macduff Guest

As the title says we're not doing many miles in the car. Just passed 10k after 16 months. The car is still saying that it'll last until about 17k. Should I wait or get it serviced and switch onto fixed servicing?

We're planning on keeping the car for a few years so I don't want to be faced with any problems further down the line.

TIA
    Dave
  2. madvw

madvw Active Member

the car will take into account that you are doing fewer miles, as it uses an algorithm involving the date as well to calculate the milage to next service. You will probably find for instance that it will instead go down at a rate of 300-400 miles for every 100 driven if you are doing only a low milage.

However, the fixed vs variable servicing is a long debate...
  3. god_thats_quick

god_thats_quick Numptie of the highest order

I'd get it onto fixed servicing if I were you, especially if you're keeping the car after the warranty has run out! just my 2p though.
  4. audi5e

audi5e Member

Even if you stick with your current servicing interval, I would at least change the oil and filter. Much cheaper than wearing the engine out... Algorithms designed by motor car manufacturers are probably going to be biased towards you buying a new car from them sooner than later.... :)
  5. chazzy

chazzy Member

Happened to read a "friends" R32 brochure the other day, its commnets were that extended service intervals were for motorway miles, if you did town driving or lots of short journeys fixed intervals were recommended. Presum the VW R32 'puter would be as intelligent as an Audi one. (just not built as well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif )
    chas