1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not a alot of luck

Dom Knight Jan 18, 2014

1. Dom Knight

Dom Knight Member

Since we bought our A3 1.9 Tdi sport 2003 last year we have not managed to get it to pay for its self.
    At the end of 2013 we lost third gear so had to have a new gearbox fitted and we had the clutch replaced at the same time too £1700.
    Then the battery died £129.
    When the fitter fitted the new gearbox he found a fuel leak though not a big leak just a weep.
    It's that little S shaped pipe leading into the fuel pump so thats being done next week at the same time as the service.
    The fitter also noticed the rear exhaust mount bracket had broken.
    Thinking I could do this myself and replace the rear box rather than have a garage weld the bracket back onto the box this is where I messed up.
    I jacked the car up on it's jack chocking the car and she rolled to one side off the jack and the jack managed to split the sill which the garage said would not pass an mot which is being done at the same time as the service.
    So off to the body shop who quoted £75 +vat and that is being done now next week before the service and mot.
    I found the exhaust is all in one so its the orginal pipe.
    Well I will keep the car until the summer and replace with a new car.
    I will suffer on buying a new car but at least it should not have any faults for a few years and I intend to replace the car every three years.
    As for the Audi, well it will either be traded in or sold on one of the sites.

2. mattyboy199

mattyboy199 Well-Known Member

I would keep it now you've spent the cash on it, those 1.9 engines were ahead of their time.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  3. Av4nt

Av4nt Well-Known Member Team V10 Team Sprint Audi S6 quattro saloon s tronic

Sounds as lucky as when I got my first Audi... cam belt failed after 2K miles grr.

4. Westy

Westy Well-Known Member

I'll buy it once it's all sorted ;) sounds like it'll be a minter.

Really unlucky though.

I've been keeping my eyes open for "the right" TDI as I know it can save me around £150 a month in fuel so it'll pay for itself after a year or so but I'm worried about picking up a car that does what yours has done.

5. jojo

jojo Looking for Boost! Staff Member Moderator Team Daytona Audi S3 quattro Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group

Buying used is always a minefield, modern cars are built to last, but you have to think why people decide to sell them. My Passat for instance is on 210k miles, it's just so reliable, that I've not got round to selling it, despite looking at newer cars! But the new owner of my car could possibly run into loads of problems, you just never know?.....

6. Westy

Westy Well-Known Member

I quite fancy a newish derv but I don't really want to be paying it off for 5 years! I'd love to own a top spec scirocco bluemotion.

7. Wallm0nkey

Wallm0nkey Member

Before the S3 I had a Bora 1.9 TDI 150 I probably did 40000 in it the only serious issue was the chocolate cam. Quite a nippy car and not a bad place be they were that much cheaper then the golf too. I used to swap its oil every 5k never really had an issue with it if I needed a diesel again I'd be tempted by one but there are so many rough examples that seem over priced.

8. JimS3

JimS3 Active Member

Sadly the earlier PD diesel engines at their age are now suffering head gasket, dual mass flywheel and cam / follower problems.
    Had all these with my own diesel daily, and see them regularly with customers cars. That's not to say there not great daily drivers once you have ironed out the common issues.

The PD engines have narrow cam lobes for the valves to accommodate the rocker lobes that compress the injectors.
    The 150bhp engines seem to suffer wear the worst, probably because they are considerably more revvy that the other models.

Not a bad job to replace cam, followers and bearing shells if doing a timing belt at the same time.