NOS?

Ronniebiggs

Reaction score
What is the general consensus on NOS?

Has anyone got it? I was watching a few videos on youtube and it looks impressive.

I have always wondered how reliable these are and if they are worth it. To be honest I know very little about them.

Andy

Nitrous Oxide is also called laughing gas, since its the same one used in dental anaestetics. Produces power by allowing more oxygen to be used hence more fuel burning of the combustion mix, kits from 50bhp to whatever the engine will take....!

This stuff can literally blow an engine to fragments though, and what I didnt like about it is the bottles are fairly small and so you will run out often, but the firing kits usually include a WOT (wide open throttle) switch so the gas is only sprayed at full tilt.

I think reliability goes out of the window on NOS hence its not common on road cars, but drag racers use it a lot.

Others will no doubt have different views on it, but I think its generally a waste of money unless you can easily fill the bottles. Imagine if you constantly had to search for someone who sold petrol, and wait till it arrived....

If you get NOS fitted do you have to have the timing and everything else set up to take it, hence a remap. Or do you just add the kit and when you press a button you get an extra 50+ boost?

All im thinking is if its possible to get a 2nd hand kit and fit it quite cheap then ok to begin with I will use alot of gas. But then when the novalty wears off it will be there just incase I need it:eyebrows:.

not sure if you need the fuelling upped mate, quite possibly.

Why not email a NOS supplier on the net or ask on the audizine forums - the yanks like their NOS :)

The ONLY company i would go near is WON (Wizards of NOS). The rest of the kit, especially the yank stuff, is often garbage.

A 50 shot on a progressive controller will be reasonably safe on a stock motor, if your car has been remapped already then things get trickier as the standard amount of ignition advance often becomes too much.

The engine does not need remapped to run nitrous, the nitrous kit itself adds the extra fuel required to burn the additional air.

I would give the chaps at WON a call and see what they think of your application. Buying second hand parts can be iffy, the cylinder itself is probably fine, but i'd want proper WON solenoids and a progressive controller, which stops all 50hp of nitrous hitting the motor at once. The jets will need matched to your engine.

There is a user on here who has fitted it: I have had a search and can't find who it is - from memory it is on an A6 1.9TDi - possibly evomaster3000 but don't quote me!

Thanks

Like I said its one of those things you just would love to do but know nothing about. Wish I had the balls to buy it and have a go:).

Its not actually that expensive tbh, the basic kit is less than £500 from WON, although the progressive controller is an additional £250.

The only issue thats worth noting, is that if your getting it as a nice performance boost to use now and then, on the dragstrip or perhaps while your overtaking someone, then its ok, however if your using it because your engine isnt powerful enough for you, you'll find that you will eat up a huge amount of gas and it will become rather expensive to run!

http://www.noswizard.com/technical.php#hpvsnx

Some good info there on the differences between the WON solenoids, and the cheaper stuff.

I've used Wizard in the past, though not on any of my own cars.

I used to fit it to Vauxhalls, mainly Nova's, and they went well.

The first car i did was a 1989 Nova 1,4 SR, I fitted a 50hp kit, and later upgraded the nozzle to a 75hp.

I would always recommend a wet kit, dry kit's I've never fitted, and won't touch.
I will also be running NX on Outlaw.

why NX siena? Especially if your planning to use a progressive controller, which is kinda required for high power levels, the NX solenoids just arent upto the job...

Take a look at the link i posted above, I know its WoN's promo materials but they are just facts, and from what i've heard from the guys over on VauxSport seems to back that up.

Aragorn, by "NX" I mean Nitrous Oxide.

I wonder how much a refill costs?

Suppose another problem is finding where to get it filled up at.

Them controllers are expensive. I wonder if just using the std setup will be ok. Essentially I just want it on a switch so when I flick the switch I get a burst of maybe 10-15 seconds.

at 50hp you'd probably be ok without a controller, its just with larger shots you start to get issues as your suddenly dumping a huge amount of extra power into the drivetrain very quickly, and you can always add the controller later on, should you decide you want more.

Not sure on the refills, The gas itself isnt expensive if you buy it in bulk, but i would imagine a tuning shop would add a nice amount on top to fill your tank.

Without a controller it would usually have two switches, one, an arming switch, which turns the entire system on or off, and the other a full throttle switch, which actually injects the nitrous.

So basically, with the arming switch off, you've got a normal car. With it on, it will drive completely normally until you use full throttle, at which point it will fire up the nitrous injection, back off the throttle and it will stop again. Its also a kinda safety mechanism as you dont want to be injecting gas unless your at full throttle, and while at full throttle you dont really want to be taking your hands off the wheel to find some "go baby go" button :p

Its not quite like in the films where the bloke presses some button on the steering wheel and it only lasts n seconds. If you keep the boot planted it will keep injecting gas until the bottle runs out, although you'll need to ensure the cylinder temps dont get too high to cause any damage if you plan to use it for prolonged periods of time.

Thanks. Its all new to me but its been made much clearer now. Whats the cheapest way to do it? Whats the minimum I need. The solenoid, injector a bottle and some pipe?

I will make my own kit if it works out cheaper.

you need a pair of solenoids, the injector and some jets, pipe work, wiring etc.

Buying the whole kit would be the way to go tbh, the basic streetblaster 150i has everything you need to get going, and its about 480quid.