1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Noob Xenon question

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by AndyParker, Oct 10, 2012.

1. AndyParker

AndyParker Member

Hi guys - apologies for the noob question but was there a point when Xenons became standard equipment on the 8p S3 or have they always been optional?

Is there an easy way to tell if a car has them? The headlight washer perhaps?

Thanks
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  2. Helifella

Helifella Flying low level

My Black Edition has Xenons as standard with the LED "frowning" DRL's. I think you are correct about the washer units and also when unlit you can see the way the lamp is made wether it has the LED section along the top edge or the light bulbs DRL's at the bottom. also with Audi xenons they will have have auto levelling so next to the light switch inside there shouldn't be a height adjuster switch.
  3. AndyParker

AndyParker Member

Thanks Helifella

i'm conscious that the LED DRL's only came into play on '58 plate and onwards (?), what's the score with the none LED DRL Xenons if there is such a thing?
  4. Helifella

Helifella Flying low level

They might be out there but i'm less than a year into the brand so not really qualified to say :)
  5. AndyParker

AndyParker Member

No problems :) you're further into it than I am so appreciate your help!
  6. AndyParker

AndyParker Member

Maybe a photo will help - are these Xenons?

Attached Files:

7. Matty-m

Matty-m New Member

Yes they are xenons with non led drl lights
  8. Cossie_boy

Cossie_boy Member

On the whole Xenons are like rocking horse **** on the A3's, hence why its taken me a stupid amount of time to find the right car as they were no1 on the list, but yes, as said, the photo is correct and they came with the washers as standard
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  9. AndyParker

AndyParker Member

Thanks Guys - most helpful!
  10. MrLapou

MrLapou Active Member

Open the bonnet. Look beside the headlight unit. If xenon there will be a box like thing the wiring looms plug into, plus a warning sticker of HIGH VOLTAGES. Plus they have the typical audi part number on the box.

Most likely the pic is of a xenon unit but than again my TT has projector lamps likes these and washer cut outs in the bumper, but it's fitted with standard halogen lamps.
  11. bmh.01

bmh.01 Member

Xenons have always been standard on the S3. Xenons and Climate are two of the very few things that are.
  12. JohnE

JohnE Member

Quickest way is to look at the light switch - no thumb wheel next to the switch if xenon - because they are auto-level
  13. Cossie_boy

Cossie_boy Member

Hmmm thats a bloody good point, the other day I met with another forum member and he pointed out that my car, which has adapitive Xenon plus, should as standard have auto and get me home lights, it does not :/ and also im sure next to the DRL switch it has a light leveller...

Before I even went and saw the car I called Audi and they listed the factory extras, it was a long list, but they said adative Xenons, im not feeling a little concerned as to why it doesnt have the auto/get me home lights, and, may have a level adjuster, its in the garage again so I cant go and check but this has got me thinking!