1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Noob -TDI S LINE Problems - Engine Warning

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by D'janiero, May 28, 2013.

1. D'janiero

D'janiero New Member

[May 28, 2013]
    Hi guys,

I'm new to the Audi scene and purchased an 05 A3 TDI S line DSG last weekend.
    The car seemed Ok, had full Audi Service history, my mechanic checked it over etc.
    However, after around an hour after leaving the Dealership I bought it from, the engine warning light came on.

Although I didnt take a warranty out on the car, I was so annoyed I contacted the Salesman, and took it back to the dealership.
    They got their mechanic to check it over and said the fault codes found were a glow plug (didnt tell me on which cylinder), and a boostsensor.
    The mechanic cleared the fault codes, and the salesman assured me not to worry as the car is still driving OK.
    He insisted that I must have been driving full throttle at some point for the car to overboost, (I've been driving like Miss Daisy all weekend, just getting used to the car, so it hasn't been driven hard) and the fault code must have came up because it has been sat on the forecort for a while.
    He also suggested that I shouldnt worry about the glow plugs as they're a cheap fix.
    I explained that I wasnt happy given the amount I had paid the car, only for it throw up faults literally an hour after I drove away.
    However, The Salesman explained that, as I didnt pay the asking price for the car, he was unable to offer me a warranty with the sale; but was more than willing to give me a warranty for an additional £55 which would cover me for upto £500 in expenses.

So I'm unsure what to do from here e.g pay for the warranty to get the car fixed, or a friend of mine suggested to look into citizens advice about my consumer rights??

I'm going to take the car to my mechanic later today to confirm if the fault codes are infact what the garage said.
    I don't mind paying to replace the glow plugs, but after looking online, I'm slightly worried that if the car is overboosting my turbo could be on its way out?
    The car is still running really well, but I would rather be safe than sorry.

Any advice on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 30, 2014]

3. hendry10

hendry10 Member

[May 28, 2013]
    Sad news there fella , don't garages by law have to offer 3 months warranty?? Sure it's something like thAt .
  4. D'janiero

D'janiero New Member

[May 28, 2013]
    Hmm...not too sure mate. Would be interesting to find out for sure though. I'm just having a read through this:

Citizens Advice - The car you bought is faulty

unless I'm missing something, its seems that I'm well within my rights to ask for a refund or to get the car fixed free of charge atleast.
    Fingers crossed another member who has had something similar to them, can shed some light on this for me.
  5. hendry10

hendry10 Member

6. Furkz

Furkz Active Member

[May 28, 2013]
    basically yes you do have rights, and yes you should check out what you want to do. (pointless listening to forum hearsay, so not going to bother)

also can you not return it for a refund?

£500 warranty is pointless tbh, anything major will not be covered. for example bought a set of NGK glow plugs last week for £44 local factors and took me 30mins to fit.

audi would prob charge about £200 for that job, which essentially is a set of spark plugs.
  7. Sidhu88

Sidhu88 Active Member

[May 28, 2013]
    I'd be asking for a full refund. I've had my car sit for 4 months and it started up and drove just like normal. Everything they've said has sounded like them trying to get rid of u. It also sounds as though they've cleared the faults prior to someone buying the car. After u've driven a given amount of mileage, any faults that were cleared would come back and give u warning lights. Knowing how temperamental these diesel engines can be, i'd say u'd be looking at one fault after another and a lot of headache. Even with the warranty not everything will be covered so i'd strongly suggest getting ur money back
  8. RobbieWebs

RobbieWebs Active Member

[May 28, 2013]
    I'd ask for a refund, problems at the start of ur ownership is not a way to start. I'm sure if u ask for a refund they will fix the car for free anyway rather than u giving it back. Saying that do really want to keep a car that u have doubts with already? :)
  9. SAiLO

SAiLO Enthusiast VCDS Map User

[May 28, 2013]
    Get a refund and warn all your friends and family not to use the dealership you bought the car from.
    They are blatantly trying it on.

Overboost codes because you were driving it on full throttle? The accelerator pedal is there to be used. Not stroked.
  10. sliced

sliced Drive safe, stay alive.

[May 28, 2013]
    lol mate, whether you bought additional warranty or not from the dealership, its covered for 3 months no matter what.
  11. D'janiero

D'janiero New Member

[May 28, 2013]
    Thanks again for all the feedback and links guys. I'll have a read now.

@sliced....can you explain to me how the 3 months warranty system works??

ps - I took the car to my mechanic earlier. He used an Omnetic diagnostic system which he also uses in work (he works for Jag and he has used this reader to successfully identify other faults I have had with previous cars)
    However, the codes which have come up are totally different to the faults the Dealer told me the car had!!
    So I'm guessing they used a dodgy reader, or as said above they were just trying to get rid of me lol.

Anyway the codes were 19558 and 19557. Usually the reader my mechanic uses displays the code and the fault however, it only displayed the codes and that 2 faults were found.
    Can anyone shed any light on what these codes are? From what I can gather, intake mani flap issue and a fuse blown??

Thank Again
  12. Sidhu88

Sidhu88 Active Member

[May 28, 2013]
    [h=2]19558/P3102/012546 - Motor for Intake Manifold Flap (V157): No Signal[/h] [h=4]Possible Symptoms[/h]
    • Hard Shudder when turning OFF the Engine
    [h=4]Possible Causes[/h]
    • Fuse(s) faulty
    • Wiring and/or Connector(s) from/to Intake Manifold Flap Motor (V157) faulty
    • Intake Manifold Flap Motor (V157) faulty
    [h=4]Possible Solutions[/h]
    • Check Fuse(s)
    • Check Wiring and/or Connector(s) from/to Intake Manifold Flap Motor (V157)
    • Check/Replace Intake Manifold Flap Motor (V157)
      • Perform Output Test

No results for 19557 on ross-tech.

It wouldn't pick up all codes dependant on how long it takes for the issues to arise again. Some cars may take longer for the fault to reappear, so if you haven't done much mileage between having the codes scanned and cleared they may not show up again on the next scan.

Just take the car back, the more faffing around u do now the more time ur wasting and the more leverage they'll have on u
  13. sliced

sliced Drive safe, stay alive.

[May 28, 2013]
    well in general sales of good act, has to be fit for purpose. and what a reasonable person would consider to be satisfactory. applies to cars as well as items.
  14. D'janiero

D'janiero New Member

[Aug 8, 2013]
  15. Mikemc

Mikemc Active Member

[Aug 8, 2013]
    I had a similar issue with mine, although a week or two after owning it 2 of 3 engine mount bolts snapped slightly dropping the engine.

I went through citizens advice and was advised I had to allow the dealer to rectify the problem, even though I didn't want the car any more as you can imagine.

I think you have to give them one chance to sort it then you can refuse to accept the car etc and give it back for a refund
  16. The Governor

The Governor Active Member

[Aug 8, 2013]
    Under the Sale of Goods Act, any fault that becomes apparent within the first six months is considered to have been there at the point of sale and it is up to the dealer to prove it wasn't. In other words, it's their responsibility...