Non-smoking package

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the differences between the non-smoking package and the standard smoking package.....and do you think it's worth specifying the non-smoking package?

Many thanks, Allan

We did spec it and then deleted it. Our order with Smoking pack (we do not smoke!) . This gives the handy 'ashtray' AKA Coin/mint holder. The NSP deletes the rather smart 'ashtray' but you get a chrome faced cover over the 12v socket. I have a chrome VW/Audi rechargeable torch which will sit nicely where the cigar lighter was and look pretty cool. Unlike the 8P where the NSP gives more storage I am not bothering on new 8V. Apparently the 12v socket in the NSP is slightly better than the socket used for the lighter but not convinced on that one!

Exactly like Pilot Audi said - manual implies that it might be unsafe to use the cigarette lighter for powering electrical devices... My dealer assured me that it's not the case - so if my car bursts into flames while charging my smart phone he'll have a lawsuit coming :)

I've also emailed Audi UK about this issue a month ago - but so far no reply.

It's up to you - the cup ashtray looks really nice imho - but you can get it from ebay for 15 quid.

Reactions: Kempysue and PilotAudi
page 72 of the manual implies there is also a "carrier" pot similar to the ash tray. would be interested to know where to get this from

Ashtray looks really nice handy for coins.

Attachments

• Inside.jpg
    Inside.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 2,439
The 12v socket looks much smarter than the cig lighter :)

I would base the decision solely on whether you want the socket rated for electrical use or not. The ashtray can be got cheap enough off ebay (£10 or so) so don't worry about that. You can even ask the dealer to throw it in for free anyway (some on here have). The most important thing is to make sure the socket is wired/fused properly, and there is evidence to suggest that there is a difference between the 2.

Thanks for the replies so far, but can anyone provided a photo showing the non-smoking 12v socket? Also, does the car come with a standard fit 12v socket for the rear passengers, and/or in the boot?

Is the socket in the back a proper power one? ie not just an additional cig lighter standard?

This is interesting, I was told by my dealer (who actually personally owns a new 8V S3) that the non smoking pack is basically that they just don't give you the silver ashtray, nothing else changes. He said don't bother

This is interesting, I was told by my dealer (who actually personally owns a new 8V S3) that the non smoking pack is basically that they just don't give you the silver ashtray, nothing else changes. He said don't bother

A dealer 'Owning' a car... there's a novelty! Seems your dealer isn't as clued up on Audis as many folks on here are! ;-0

Reactions: Cumbrian_bob and JohnM100
A dealer 'Owning' a car... there's a novelty! Seems your dealer isn't as clued up on Audis as many folks on here are! ;-0

Possibly true! Owning maybe wrong actually, as I recall though the S3 wasn't available for him through the company plan (I guess too expensive for his grade or whatever) but he got one anyway, perhaps he just paid the extra each month. However my point was he is a self confessed S3 geek and thus I trusted (given he is also a non-smoker) that he knew what he was talking about. Its a no-cost option after all

Anyway, as you say, it looks like he is wrong...might need to update my order yet again!

Reactions: PilotAudi and Anarch
I've just ordered the non smoker 12v plastic/chrome plug that replaces the cig lighter and it's only about £4.50 inc vat.

Reactions: PilotAudi
I've just ordered the non smoker 12v plastic/chrome plug that replaces the cig lighter and it's only about £4.50 inc vat.

Have you got the part number please? Easy to fit???

Thanks

Its just a plug so replaces the pull-out cigarette lighter part
A4H0919311

According to ETKA the code is as you say but without the A at the front ie 4H0 919 311 and the current price is listed at £4.69. It is listed as being Silver/Black with the lettering 12v on it. Looks good value. Order the car with the smoking pack and you get the ashtray for free and just pay £4.69 for the cover to replace the cigarette lighter.

One change I've noticed between my 8P and the 8V. On my 8P the sockets in the centre console and the luggage area are always live but on the 8V, according to the Owner's Manual, they are only live when the ignition is on.

If anyone want the torch to go into the socket the part number is 4F0 947 175 and the price is £21.04.

Reactions: Leepster
Hope the 12v is permanent live in the boot! Does anyone know. Ideal for cool boxes.

Hope the 12v is permanent live in the boot! Does anyone know. Ideal for cool boxes.

I agree we used our luggage compartment socket for the same, but in the 8V Owner's Manual under Electrical Sockets it shows pictures of the one in the front console, the one in the rear passenger area at the end of the centre console and the one in the luggage area and in says in a WARNING box under all three "The socket will only work when the ignition is switched on." so I assume it applies to all three.

On my wife's A1 she just has the socket in the centre console and that only works with the ignition on.

1-0 to the 8P it seems.

Here you go, smoking pack vs non smoking pack

Ciglighter

Reactions: PilotAudi
I agree we used our luggage compartment socket for the same, but in the 8V Owner's Manual under Electrical Sockets it shows pictures of the one in the front console, the one in the rear passenger area at the end of the centre console and the one in the luggage area and in says in a WARNING box under all three "The socket will only work when the ignition is switched on." so I assume it applies to all three.

On my wife's A1 she just has the socket in the centre console and that only works with the ignition on.

1-0 to the 8P it seems.

I tested this and unfortunately the manual is correct.

I also thought that removing the smoking pack isn't just about the sockets but the power supply as well. I'm sure I've read this somewhere in this forum...

I also thought that removing the smoking pack isn't just about the sockets but the power supply as well. I'm sure I've read this somewhere in this forum...

You might be right, but the image shows the visible difference.

I opted for this just in case its a better power supply, and for the nicer looking aspect of it.

i might buy the cup holder separately

F1nny posted a link above to the thread you may mean cuke2u. Shows the internal differences too.

Cheers, Paul.

You might be right, but the image shows the visible difference.

I opted for this just in case its a better power supply, and for the nicer looking aspect of it.

i might buy the cup holder separately

The Owner's Manual says about the cigarette lighter - "The cigarette lighter should only be used for short periods of time as a power source for electrical equipment. Please use the electrical sockets in the vehicle when connecting equipment for longer periods." and under Electrical sockets it gives a power rating of 120w. Also in the Fuses section there is just one (F40) 20 amp fuse for the Cigarette light and electrical sockets.

The only other difference I can see is on the wiring diagram. The cigarette light has a 1.5mm earth wire connection whilst the 12v socket has a 2.5mm earth wire connection. Both are fed by a 1.5mm connection.

I guess that's to take the extra load that the earthing of the electrical equipment itself may end up providing if it goes wrong! Nice to confirm there is a definitely a difference though. To be honest, even though I bought the ashtray separately, I use it a lot less often than I thought I would. Pretty much only to store the key for the towbar when that's fitted, nothing else.