1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

non original radio flashing but wont turn on, any help???

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by parma, Oct 12, 2009.

1. parma

parma smash it, don't bash it!

[Oct 12, 2009]
    hey, i was losing power in my car so my mate said easiest thing to do is disconect the radio, so i did and it didnt stop anything.

in the end it turned out to be the central locking system.

well ive come to put the radio back in and all its doing is lighting up when the head lights are on but not accually turning on at all. the red lights under the facia front flash quickly but irregularly.12 volt is being sent to the radio btw

has any 1 else experienced this and no how to cure it??

many thanks for reading
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 17, 2014]

3. Oranoco

Oranoco Well-Known Member

[Oct 12, 2009]
    Is it getting 12v both on the permanent live and the ignition live?

What deck is it?
  4. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Oct 12, 2009]
    Also check the fuse on the back of the HU. As Oranoco says it needs 2 seperate 12v feeds in order to function.
  5. parma

[Oct 12, 2009]
    yeh its getin 12v on the permanent wire and 12v on the other wire when you turn the lights on.
    yeh the fuse on the back is fine too, its not the radio i think because i tryed another radio just now and its done the same :(

gettin abit complecated for a radio lol
  6. Oranoco

[Oct 12, 2009]
    Check the fuse on the car itself for the stereo circuit. I'm assuming it's fitted with ISO plugs and some clot hasn't hacked the wiring plugs out?
  7. parma

[Oct 12, 2009]
    yep fuse is fine and tested it for no small break dwn and plugs are fine 12v goin through them and back out. this is realy confusing me now :( cheers
  8. Oranoco

[Oct 12, 2009]
    Just a thought but try taking the earth out the loom and put a wire straight from the HU wiring to a ground point and see what that does. Wondering if you have an earthing issue?
  9. parma

[Oct 12, 2009]
    ok ill go have a quick try, get bk to ya in a bit
  10. andybnwc

andybnwc Member

[Oct 13, 2009]
    you need 2 live feeds when the ignition is on regardless of the headlights so forget about that one for now. These shoud be be going to the red and yellow cables at rear of the headunit . The orange is for illumination ie from headlamps for auto dim etc. If for example you are missing a constant feed then when the ign is on you will prob get the power light on and maybe even be able to eject discs. But the unit will still not power up without the 2 feed both red and yellow.

Quick recap cables at headunit end need to be as follows
    yellow -constant feed regardless of whats going on ie lights off and key out
    red- over 12v live when ignition is on
    orange when - over 12v when headlamps turn on.
    Black - earthed at all times ,if this is picking up power at any time you have a problem.

If this still does not work join the red and the yellow together and put on a live feed and earth the black directly to bare metal just to test the actuall headunit.
  11. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Oct 13, 2009]
    Also disconnect everything from the HU apart from the black power ISO connector and see if it powers up. Could be you have a short somewhere if a second HU has the same problem. If it works then plug connectors back in one by one and see what causes the power down.
  12. parma

[Oct 13, 2009]
    ive got it workin :p so much of a relief, thort i was goin crazy with something so simple!!

i got it working bi splicing the red to yellow lead between the head unit and female iso connectors because there was no red lead running in to the iso connector. makes me wonder how it ever worked with out having ignition power going in to before i took it out :S

thanks for all the help uve been reali reali helpful :icon_thumright::respekt::rockwoot:
    this is how happy i am now ive got music back :jump:

thanks agen
  13. andybnwc

andybnwc Member

[Oct 14, 2009]
    best thing you can do now is run a ignition from the buzz bar under the steering column left one marked x75 that way you wont get any drains when left for a while or acidentally leaving it on.