Non iphone user (shock horror)

Pickle1970

Reaction score
Yes i know i'm one of the few that hate all things Apple, so what cable (if there is a special one) do i need for Android (S4)

:thumbsup:

Reactions: RichardT, Soulboy, deolanp and 1 other person
No point in using cable with a non-apple device!
Well of course to charge.

But music etc. will only stream over Bluetooth.
I have a company Samsung S5, and miss my iPhone every day :)

You can't play music via the USB cable? I'd always presumed that it would see the phone as a mass storage device, like a USB stick or hard drive, and allow you to browse and play music that way?

Rather hopeless if bluetooth streaming is the only option as the quality is far worse. Do Audi do the MMI connect app for Android, might be another option?

You need to ask for the MMI to female USB cable, you then use your standard micro USB to male USB cable between :)

Micro USB

I only spotted your post just now Jason and went to look for this cable, quite annoyed that we were given the Female USB adapter to use with our own cable, this would have been MUCH tidier, time for a call to the dealer ;)

Are you sure that your Samsung can be seen as a mass storage device? My S4 can't when I connect it to a computer, apparently it's a restriction in the Samsung firmware. If that's the case with yours, then you won't be able to play music via USB.

Pretty sure that's not the case with the S4. If you Google it, you'll find lots of links to apps (which seem to require rooting of the phone) to enable USB Mass Storage mode.

It's nothing to do with Samsung, it's the later versions of android that blocked mass storage mode in favour of Media Transfer Protocol. Computers can deal with this fine, but I imagine the car can't. Though as always with Android, there are ways around it - root it and you can download apps that re-enable mass storage mode.

Or just use an SD card in the first place...

It's nothing to do with Samsung, it's the later versions of android that blocked mass storage mode in favour of Media Transfer Protocol. Computers can deal with this fine, but I imagine the car can't. Though as always with Android, there are ways around it - root it and you can download apps that re-enable mass storage mode.

Or just use an SD card in the first place...

My Motorola Moto G works fine with the car and it runs a fairly stock version of Android 4.4.4. It's set to MTP (in Settings > Storage > ... > USB computer connection) so I think that the car handles it OK.
I can stream music via Bluetooth or connect the phone to the AMI and navigate the whole file system via the USB option on the MMI.

Note that I have to unlock the phone before I can access it via USB - this is true connected to a PC or to the car.

Strange because I have not owned any unlocked phones and they have always been seen by my PC...

Strange because I have not owned any unlocked phones and they have always been seen by my PC...

Sorry, I wasn't clear - by "unlock" I just meant that I have to type my PIN code in to unlock the phone screen, nothing to do with the phone being locked to a specific network provider.

Ah, ok thanks for the clarification and it makes sense really so no-one else can rummage around your phone.

Just pity all those iPhone sheep who have to pay £30 odd for the lightning cable - biggest con ever. My genuine Samsung s5 micro usb cable that does the SAME thing costs £1.49 and the best thing is it doesn't have a stupid non standard cable so I can charge almost any other android phone

Bit of a thread resurrection; I pick my car up on Monday and I'm a little confused as to what cable(s) I should be badgering the dealer for. The car has the standard MMI (ie non tech pack) and I have a Samsung Galaxy S5, my wife has a Nokia Lumia 1020, both of which use a micro USB connection. Am I right in thinking that there is a female USB socket inside the armrest and that plugging a male USB to male micro USB will enable us to plug either phone in and charge them?

For music, we have an iPod Nano 4th gen. Does this connect to the above-mentioned male USB socket using the Apple cable, or does it have it's own dedicated (additional) socket, from which some sort of Audi to iPod cable is required? As a precaution, I've already copied our complete iTunes folder onto a 64Gb SanDisk SDXC (cat 4) card.

Sorry for all the questions, the brochure doesn't make things especially clear and the dealer was very vague when I called him and asked him. If anyone has a picture of the inside of a non tech pack (if there is a difference? I've no idea) armrest, that would be very helpful.

You only get the USB connector inside the cubby box, if you ordered Tech Pack with Connect (or Phone Box). And even then it's only a USB charging port.

For your phones, you need the standard AMI to USB connector, then plug in your own USB to micro USB lead.

For your iPod Nano 4th Gen, I presume this has the 30 pin connector? In which case you will need the RED collar AMI to Apple 30 pin connector lead.

In summary, ask your dealer for 2 leads (they both come in a 1 packet combo anyway)
RED AMI to Apple 30 pin connector lead
AMI to USB lead

Reactions: Relliott6879
Looks like we'll be charging the phones using the tried and tested fag lighter socket charger then. Shame, as I'm not a fan of having loads of visible wires strewn about the car.

You can charge your phones using the AMI to (female) USB lead, then plug in your own USB to micro USB lead into that.

Don't need to use the fag lighter socket.

edit:
It may be that your iPod won't control properly with the red collar AMI cable, you may need an older blue collar AMI cable, but all the same ask your dealer for the 2 leads as mentioned above, then if red doesn't work, pick up a cheaper blue AMI cable from eBay.

Last edited:
Reactions: Relliott6879
Ah right, happy with that. Cheers for the advice, I'm still very much in the learning phase about these cars!

How much do they charge for the two leads?

Have I got this correct: I use the AMI to usb lead from Audi, then plug the 'normal' usb lead that comes with the iPhone/iPod into that to charge phone and play music?

Gratis.

Yes. Kind of. No.

As the thread title implies, this is for a non-iphone setup.

iPhone options are covered in different threads.

Last edited: