Non Bose system upgrade advice

marlow77

Reaction score
My car is non Bose sounds, I have a mate who has the Bose and the difference I am finding is massive. Standard? I presume so. So I wanna upgrade the rear section (the side speakers sub n amp) but want all sizes that fit into standard positions. So does anyone know what the actual rear speakers are, like size and if 2-3way? Also what size is the sub, can I get same physical sized sub n amp but obv with twice the power? Anyone with experience of this can recommend specific speakers would be real handy, thanks.

i seen a sub on ebay, think it was 200-300 but fits in orignal place looks big aswel, but dont think i could continplate spending that much. also can get adapters out of mdf on ebay for different size speakers

I've got the radio manual, the concert sound system manaul and they can't even tell you the size of the speakers. What a joke!

The fronts are 4" components with 1" tweeters, though you can use slim 5.25" units with adapters
The rears are 6.5" coaxials, again you need adapters
The sub is 6.5" 50w and also powers the rear speakers (the amp is inside the sub) so if you unplug it then you lose the rears

Oh thanks mate! So it's not likely I can have same amp sub set up if amp built in and will have to go external amp?
I'm hoping my local Halfords can do it all for me, should be capable right? Would it best to get 2-way or 3-way rears then?

I'm hoping my local Halfords can do it all for me, should be capable right? Would it best to get 2-way or 3-way rears then?
I would get some decent second hand speakers off eBay or classifieds. You'll get a much better deal than Vibe or other Halfords stuff at twice the price. None of it is difficult to fit so I'd have a look at doing it yourself.

Yes don't let the monkeys at Halfords anywhere near it, wouldn't trust them to change my screenwash!

ohh. Well I gotta hand it to eh audio guy there because I'd bought about £100 of the wrong advised adapters from various other places until he said "um duh u need this one" which insta sorted by intial head unit problem. Also, I think buying 2nd hand speakers must be way too risky, guess I'll just buy some new ones online and attempt it myself.

As exepcted, fallen at the first hurdle. What's the best way to get these rear side covers off, do I have to unbolt any of the seats or anything?

As exepcted, fallen at the first hurdle. What's the best way to get these rear side covers off, do I have to unbolt any of the seats or anything?

You have to take the rear boot trim off, the bit with the spring loaded metal hooks, two cross head screws when you lift them up, then the whole thing pulls off. Seat bases are just a metal wire thing, will be obvious when you look, don't remember if folding the seat backs forward is enough, but you just need a flat blade screw driver to get them off if I remember correctly.