1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Noisy flywheel

Charlie Ford Feb 13, 2012

1. Charlie Ford

Charlie Ford Member

have been looking around to get the wife a run around disel so she is not putting so many miles on my A3 8P1 and saw this advert (link at bottom)what could be the issue with a noisy flywheel??? much to fix or would it be ok to run as is???1999 AUDI A3 1.9 TDi 110 SE

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  2. Charlie Ford

Charlie Ford Member

42 views and no reply??? come on someone must have an idea!

3. MUSH

MUSH MUSH Developments Ltd.

Very worn or completely knackered dual mass flywheel if the flywheel fitted is oem.

It may have had a single mass flywheel retrofitted previously which make a similar chatter.

My money is on it needing a new clutch and flywheel due to the age and mileage

4. sideways steve

sideways steve Member

If you even suspect your Dual Mass Fly is iffy change it immediately.

Trust me I have had experience with this ! I had a faulty DMF on my Porsche Boxster and the imbalance actually bent the crankshaft and wiped out the main bearings. I was actually very lucky it didnt do more damage and managed to do a rebuild on it using a replacement crank and cradle.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  5. Charlie Ford

Charlie Ford Member

so best stay away form this vehicle then

6. sideways steve

sideways steve Member

I certainly wouldnt touch another car that had a known DMF fault even if it was now supposedly repaired.

That Porsche was a nightmare to sort as noone rebuilds boxster engines... well not at reasonable rates so that meant I had a hard time sourcing parts and had to buy bearings etc through Porsche directly which were not cheap ! I dread to think what the bill would have been had I not been able to do it all myself.

I know the Audi is not a Porsche but the thought of repairing another bent crank on ANY car is not a nice one LOL !

7. egesford

egesford Member

clutch and smf conversion would cost about £500, making this car over priced

8. Charlie Ford

Charlie Ford Member

damm i need to find the wife a cheapish disel to get to and from work as she is putting too many miles on my A3 :(