1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Noisy Cam Fix?

Discussion in 'A6/S6/Allroad forum (C5 Chassis)' started by Carlisle v6 tdi, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Carlisle v6 tdi

Carlisle v6 tdi New Member

[Aug 25, 2014]
    Hi.
    In my efforts to not spend cash, I am wondering if the cam followers on the ake engine can be adjusted back to allow for wear, only concerned at the min as a mate commented the car sounds fucked lol.
    Aside from the tappety tractor soundtrack she pulls like a train, and having another owner drive her he says she is no different to he's overpower delivery terms.
    I don't think the noise is particularly fatal at the min. But would love to hush it for the min until funds allow a new set of cams.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 24, 2014]

3. rhys084

rhys084 Member

[Aug 25, 2014]
    Possibilities i guess would be thicker oil or one of these oil additives that "coat" the cams with some form of low friction coating. But the low friction additives can cause other problem as can be corrosive to certain materials. Also the thicker engine oil would have to be substantially thicker so would bring its own problems...
  4. Carlisle v6 tdi

[Aug 25, 2014]
    Always concerned about thick oil after my old 1.8t spat it's turbo cartridge.
    I was hoping the cam followers would have an adjustment screw of some type ala the old tappet rockers on cars of old
  5. adamss24

adamss24 Well-Known Member

[Sep 7, 2014]
    Nope, they are hydraulic so no adjustment...best fix it with a new cam kit !
  6. Carlisle v6 tdi

[Sep 7, 2014]
    Cheers Adams, was unsure and just haven't had a chance to delve in and have a look.
    Cam wear doesn't appear too bad on the cam directly below the oil filler, hoping this is a reflection on the rest of them, although will not know for sure till I get the covers off.
    I'm thinking oil could be the main cause for concern as it seems a bit light on the dipstick, not as viscose as I'd have expected anyway.
    Shall have a delve soon as I need to replace the thermostat sometime before the weather turns and may aswell try to cover all the.jobs at once lol.