1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

noisey cam link chain, oil starvation???

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by mattius, Feb 21, 2011.

1. mattius

mattius New Member

My 98.5 A4 B5 1.8 N/A has developed a noisey cam link chain again, i had this problem 6 months ago and replaced the tensioner. This solved it for a while.

Now its back, it only happens when warm and on idle, otherwise the car is behaving perfectly.

It has been suggested i do a flush and replace the oil filter with the bigger TDI filter... does this sound right?

2. Advert Guest Advertisement

3. Sandip

Sandip Well-Known Member

Could be the oil pump/pick up that is the underlying cause for the noisey top end

4. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!"
    Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

you really need a pressure guage on there.

Our old 1.8T used to drop down to about 8psi at hot idle, which would set the lifters clattering if the car was idling for more than a minute or so. It wasnt sludge however, it was just a worn out oil pump. (granted it may have worn out due to sludge in earlier life, but when i had the sump off it was clear inside)

5. mattius

mattius New Member

im trying to just get the car running nice so i can trade it in, surely worth a flush?

6. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!"
    Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

yeh its worth a go.

Try a 50-50 mix of oil and diesel, run for 10mins at fast idle (1500rpm or so) then drain and fill with fresh oil.