1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Noiseless high performance exhaust

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by lwen, May 15, 2004.

1. lwen

lwen Member

I am looking for a good exhaust system for my A3, for high performance, but keeping silent as original (or similar). I hate noise and love power, but seems theese two caracteristics does not match.
    I have a 4" pipe from the manifold to the end, with a special muffler, but the noise are unbearable.
    I am studing to make myself a muffler using ceramic wool. Does anyone had made anything like that?

2. cyuen

cyuen Member

Milltek can't go wrong
  3. DavidR

DavidR Active Member

The miletek is fairly quiet, so much so I heard a guy complain about the one fitted to his s3 due to lack of noise, but doesn't produce much in the way of power, very little if anything on the s3, a little more but in reality less than 5bhp and 10lb/ft on the A3 1.8T.
  4. lwen

lwen Member

In fact, my A3 has several changes. The last dynanometer (Mustang) measure (1 week ago) showed 310 hp on wheels. I am afraid militek will not support all discharge. Any opinion?
  5. mdoyle69

mdoyle69 Member

310 hp....at the wheels??

I am sorry mate...but I THINK NOT!!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif
  6. mramage

mramage Member

[ QUOTE ]
    MikeyD-S3nut said:
    310 hp....at the wheels??

I am sorry mate...but I THINK NOT!!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, not at the wheels, but look here and here.

That's one fast A3. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
  7. HTC

HTC Active Member

Has anyone thought about trying powerflow?

http://www.powerflow.uk.com/

Aparently they can tailor the look and the sound to whatever you want.
  8. Dean_T

Dean_T Active Member

i have a powerflow exhaust on my mk3 golf

overall, its a good system - lifetime guarantee is very nice, as is the ability to customise noise levels and tailpipe section

HOWEVER,

powerflow exhausts are custom fitted to the car, meaning that if you get a bad fitter (they are out there) then your system will be naff, to be quite brunt

I used the one in West Bromwich and the guys there are friendly and knowledgeable /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I had my first system fitted by someone who no longer works at that branch and to be honest a chimp could have fitted it better

All due respect to them, they honoured the guarantee with no quibbles at all and fitted me a completely brand new system free of charge, all under the guarantee

If you're going to use these guys I'd ask to see examples of their work first /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I haven't seen any reviews of their products as to whether they actually make a difference in performance however.

EDIT: I wouldn't say you could 'tailor the sound' as such, basically you can add/remove silencers to make the system louder or quieter

HTH

Dean
  9. HTC

HTC Active Member

Good info.

So it is a good idea as long as you get a good fitter.

I would have thought that the sound thang would be more in depth than just adding an extra silencer.

I have a 16v MK2 golf that has a scorpion system with the same amount of silencers as the original setup. Sounds alot louder tho.

They must be able to select different types of silencers etc.
  10. Dean_T

Dean_T Active Member

Yeah I think the silencers are less silenced than a standard exhaust system..

When I went in the first time they told me some kid come in with a Nova and opened a bottle of fizzy pop - he then said he wanted his exhaust to sound like that! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif
  11. Gambba

Gambba Active Member

Lee,

The best thing you can do as far as I'm concerned is get a custom system made and fitted....the reason I say this is because if you find a real 'custom shop' they will be able to build a system to your spec, in terms of power match and noise. The noise they can change by baffles, and the power is/should be matehed to the power output/turbo size.

As far as I am aware the A3 has a restrictive downpipe when compared to the S3 for instance, so you may see more than 5 bhp gained from what I know....especially with a highly tuned car.
  12. lwen

lwen Member

I agree with you Gamba, but... unfortunatelly I live in Brazil, not in Europe... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    So I need some hints about custom exhausts...
    I need some raw material to make myself... I am looking for ceramic wool... and other stuffs..
    Here in Brazil we have all waw materials, good labour and good ideas.
    I wish to know if anobody had made something like that.

Tks!
  13. GoSPeeDxRaCeR

GoSPeeDxRaCeR Member

im sure all of you have heard of REMUS. its not loud but its not silent. i love the sound of it. its a good deep throaty (no pun intended) sound to it and yet it brings power. hit up the remus website to hear sound clips.
  14. audidude

audidude New Member

Don't know about Remus for S3 but had a Remus rear box on my earlier A4 1.8T and it was great.

Quality superb and sound deeper and not louder - highly recommend on my experience with the product.

I have Milltek on my S3 and also VERY satisfied on same counts.

Cheers
  15. cyuen

cyuen Member

hey audidude hows it goin mate. hows the car going? any new mods?
  16. audidude

audidude New Member

Yo Cyuen.

No new mods - just enjoying her as she is - ah - the car of course /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Went to Taupo quattro experience. Great day - they let us stretch the cars in full circuits trailing an instructors car and those guys put their foot down!

The A8 impressed me enormously - refined fast and - yes - responsive - good turn in and accurate steering if lacking feedback (but it IS a limo remember!).

TT was best track car for sound and sensations.

The A3 3.2 DSG was quick enough I guess but felt lifeless and a lot slower compared to my S3 - but I knew that before then anyways.

Still prefer a good 6sp manual to that DSG though - to clever for it's own good and lessens driver involvement which is not exactly an Audi strong suit to start with anyway!

Only disappointment was I missed out on the S4 (which had MTM cats and exhaust - sounded aewsome!) due to pressure of numbers. I offered Glynn Tulloch to drive it back to AK for him but he strangely declined /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

The drive back to Hamilton via Kinloch/Mangakino/Te Awamutu was fantastic - no holds barred, no traffic, fabulous road and the S3 was hummin' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif. Had nice blast in company with a 2.7T Allroad till he turned off after Mangakino. He was pretty quick but the S3 had him well and truly covered /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Must catch up with you sometime for a funrun.

Cheers
  17. CALIBRE

CALIBRE New Member

I had a Remus exhaust and have now replaced it with a miltec on my S3. And I can say the Miltec fits and sounds better than the Remus.