Noise on startup..is this the chain rattle noise?

Av4nt

Reaction score
Sometimes when I startup there is a split second scraping type noise.. is this the chain rattle where it brushes against the plastic guide that people speak of? and if so is it quite normal. its not excessive by any means however

Sometimes when I startup there is a split second scraping type noise.. is this the chain rattle where it brushes against the plastic guide that people speak of? and if so is it quite normal. its not excessive by any means however

Even after the chain replacement, I still get the same noise, almost like oil getting to where it needs to, then it's gone as quickly as you hear it. It's so fast sometimes you couldn't even point it out to someone.I don't think it's anything to worry about. The excessive chain sound occurs mainly when it's warm and almost sounds like a clicking knock. From cold it's at it's quietest from experience due to the oil being thicker. Others may say otherwise.

yeah its not there for long at all. On idle there is a feint knocking but doesnt sound like a chain just sound like normal tickover. Out of interest do you mind me asking how much you had the chain replaced for and why? and did that include the guide also?

If it is there for a second on start up then disappears that is normal as the oil pressure needs to build up. But if it continues and gets excessive when the oil is thin and the engine is warm then you know it needs replacing.

The reason people change them is because if they skip a tooth then you can say good bye to your head, valves etc.

This is what craigs sounded like when his needed changing Audi A4 2.0t fsi Quattro BUL - YouTube

and here is the thread and all the prices you are after "http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/audi-s...ge-chain-tensioner-cam-follower-camshaft.html"

All you questions will be answered..

To give you a idea if you are planning on replacing yours its will cost about £160 for the kit from Audi at trade price. But the labour is were it bites you back as its considered a 6-7 hour job unless you know people to do it for you like craig got someone to do it for him on the cheap. Its not a pleasant job either as its all at the back of the motor.

And just to comment i noticed you are after a scuttle tray as well as a battery tray cover. You wont really find anyone selling these as they are so cheap already.

You can buy them from Audi direct. Retail prices below

Shuttle cover 8E281944701C - £16.74
Battery Cover 8E2819422A01C - £7

Trade prices are
£14.57
£6

Last edited:
Reactions: Craig Cull
out of curiosity has anyone tried a pre oiler to stop this from happening ?

If it is there for a second on start up then disappears that is normal as the oil pressure needs to build up. But if it continues and gets excessive when the oil is thin and the engine is warm then you know it needs replacing.

The reason people change them is because if they skip a tooth then you can say good bye to your head, valves etc.

This is what craigs sounded like when his needed changing Audi A4 2.0t fsi Quattro BUL - YouTube

and here is the thread and all the prices you are after "http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/audi-s...ge-chain-tensioner-cam-follower-camshaft.html"

All you questions will be answered..

To give you a idea if you are planning on replacing yours its will cost about £160 for the kit from Audi at trade price. But the labour is were it bites you back as its considered a 6-7 hour job unless you know people to do it for you like craig got someone to do it for him on the cheap. Its not a pleasant job either as its all at the back of the motor.

And just to comment i noticed you are after a scuttle tray as well as a battery tray cover. You wont really find anyone selling these as they are so cheap already.

You can buy them from Audi direct. Retail prices below

Shuttle cover 8E281944701C - £16.74
Battery Cover 8E2819422A01C - £7

Trade prices are
£14.57
£6

Oh right I really thought hey were more expensive as they go for like £50 all in on ebay! ill give it a check from the dealer. Thanks.
As for the sound it appears to be normal at the moment. I have a garage that is half the dealer price for labour but it doesnt sound fun at all lol. Ill keep tabs on it thanks for the info. someone mentioned pre oiler.... someone on here has a pre oiler fitted to his S4 but I cant remember who it was...with any luck he will chip in if they see this thread and give you the info

its me who has the pre oiler fitted to my s4
it tensions the chain before start up , so theres no play or slack when you start the engine

its me who has the pre oiler fitted to my s4
it tensions the chain before start up , so theres no play or slack when you start the engine

Ahh cheers dual i knew it had a 21 haha! Yeah as below... would this fit our "2.0T FSI's?

it will fit any car you like provided you have room for the equipment

you have a cylinder which is filled with a bladder , your normal engine oil pressure feeds the bladder until it is full
then when you switch your engine off this pressure is stored and held
your engine cools down and the warm oil drains from your tensioners , when you start the engine again the chain slap you hear is
caused by the tensioners not being pressurised by oil
with the system fitted , you turn your ignition on, leave it for a few seconds and the pressure that was stored in the cylinder is pumped back into your system to pump back up the tensioners BEFORE you actually start your engine

no chain slap and no wear