Noise from engine, Video attached.

johal87

Reaction score
Hi guys, Ive attached a video of the sound coming from the engine..

Alot of people have said thats its most likley the DMF..

But then a few people have said it could be the cambelt, or something to do with that..

The sound is brought on more when the cars warm..

Any advise would be great..

View My Video

could well be the dmf does it go when the clutch pedal is depresed that usually a give away if its ******

A little bit more infor about the car would help
manual/dsg
milage
year

press the clutch and start the car if the noise is there then most likely DMF, if it comes when you release the clutch then its gearbox bearings.
i have the exact same thing, but mine doesnt rattle as much, my mechanic told me about the gearbox problem because he had the same thing in his car

Sorry guys

2005/54
DSG

Is there any tests I could do with the DSG Box?

The sound goes away in drive and reverse, even at stationary

mine is also 2005, and 85,000 miles but manual. not a good year for audi.

if it is the gearbox then i was told the bearings are plastic and if they go they wont damage your gearbox, not sure how much damage a flywheel will do.
best thing to do would be to take it to a garage to have a look, if its the gearbox then you will need to have that fixed and a new clutch and flywheel.
if its not the gearbox then you will still need a new clutch and flywheel.

either way you will need a new flywheel and clutch.

To me it sounds more like the Alternator pulley tensioner has gone. I could be wrong but it sounds more like a failed bearing unit within the tensioner than the DMF.

Actually I've just watched it again and it could be a hole host of things! Obviously a need to get someone to check it out!

I don't mind someone checking it out, I just don't want a cowboy to say the first thing on his mind..

Any recommendations in the Birmingham area?

I hope it's the alternator? Too be honest sometimes it starts after a good few seconds, maybe it's not making a charge?

that does sound likr the DMF to me... but again it will need a good inspection.... but usually when a DMF is that bad it makes the car shudder on pull away ect...